Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 473 diode Led Lenser mod

What an awesome diode!

Xboost V7 mini. Set 280ma
Sharp 473 diode. DTR
Led Lenser p7.2. Ebay
G2. Lens. 140mw
20mm copper module. DTR

Even with these pictures I still cannot show this awesome colour!

Attachments

• PudB8Fl.jpg
    PudB8Fl.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 191
  • vYPJB9M.jpg
    vYPJB9M.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 128
  • dwyx7Gt.jpg
    dwyx7Gt.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 106
  • MUAvYEX.jpg
    MUAvYEX.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 96
  • fFhANhF.jpg
    fFhANhF.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 93
  • E1s8MyD.jpg
    E1s8MyD.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 83
  • clgLRkh.jpg
    clgLRkh.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 84
  • vEDCC14.jpg
    vEDCC14.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 112

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That is one sweet looking wavelength Billy, I need one of those diodes badly!
Those last two pics really show off that sky blue color!
:gj: +rep!

Last edited:

BobMc

Once again awesomeness BadBoy! Very impressive build and WL. :gj:

Going to have to add one of these so I can :drool: a little. :D

Last edited:
They are an awesome color, Billy. That is what caught my eye while working with these diodes. Hope to have my build up and running soon. Having driver problems at the moment. Very nice build thread. Love the beam shots. +rep.

Thanks guys
This build turned out very nice was very happy with it and then this morning turned it on a few times can't get enough of it then finally one more time and LED ! Thought maybe battery or connection problem but no looks like this diode is sensitive like our 16X 405s

I'm not sure what the max the xboost v7 can output if it's over 7v. Or not but it was working fine for a few days, Luckily I have spares still disappointing though.

It was only set to 300ma. And outputing 140mw. Not sure if I want to reused this driver now, My new favourite diode is dead well not completely if 1mw is enough to remind of the colour!

Even my pet bird Leon is disappointed since the build took time out from his daily bonding with me, He kept saying come here come here while I was busy!

Attachments

• Jh6mpLw.jpg
    Jh6mpLw.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 3ydzxON.jpg
    3ydzxON.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 82
Ouch. That's not good.

Welp, guess I'll stick the 474.5 in mine for a week then swap out for the 480 if it doesn't die. Guess I'll hunt for 200mA drivers in the meantime...

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Damn Billy that sucks big time, glad you have some spares; 300mA seemed like a pretty safe setting, especially after watching DTR's video.
You need to get that bad boy up and running again to keep poor Leon happy!

Last edited:
Good lucking build, that really sucks about the diode though. Was it completely random, or was there some sort of impact perhaps? Randomly LEDing sounds like some pretty crappy luck.

Also, how's the heat situation, does it get very hot?

Good lucking build, that really sucks about the diode though. Was it completely random, or was there some sort of impact perhaps? Randomly LEDing sounds like some pretty crappy luck.

Also, how's the heat situation, does it get very hot?

No impact whatsoever, I hardly ever am unlucky like that, always take care with every detail of my builds, heat sinking is exceptional on this host with 20mm copper module from Jordan and pressed into larger aluminium heatsink with my signature press no set screws it is pressed with vice, in my opinion this is one of the best types of heatsinks copper core with alloy ring to dissipate the heat, also I never had it on longer than 10 seconds so didn't even get warm, I did have a negative path issue in the beginning with the thick anodising on the host but that was solved even if it was still cutting the negative path it should not have leded the diode, I've had bad negative contacts on 7w diode Builds and they are still fine know.

I've asked Jordan for some advice If he can add anything, Xboost voltage out and soft start so on!

Attachments

• mGyPOWh.jpg
    mGyPOWh.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

BobMc

Ooooch, sorry to hear that. Such a beautiful build to go led. Well, best wishes with your repair, hoping it was just a bad/weak diode. :thinking:

Wow, that hurts! I hope it is an isolated incident as I only have one of these and I don't want to lose it to anything. Sounds like you did everything right. Put it in a nice sized host with adequate heat sinking and short run times. Wonder if it might have been a spurious spike in voltage and current. Boost drivers are not as noise free as linear and buck drivers. Who knows. It might have been just one of those things. :(

Your work is as always very clean and appealing and that color looked great, maybe you want to cut the power back a bit on the next one?
p.s. Your bird Leon talking to you is adorable. :)

Yeah I was thinking even at 200ma it's still putting out 100mw so probably do that next.

Very disappointing though with the amount I use my lazeres it should last a live time not just afew days, So the nana boost at lowest range 275ma might even be bit high, I hate how with new diodes we will only know with time and so few of these around, I really hope it was just a one off weak diode and they are tough, most diodes are fine at double there rated current.

These musk loraketes crave companionship he is the reason I'm not on the lathe as much as I would like, it's like having a baby to watch over all day!! They are also very smart for there size, here's a little video of him talking.

https://youtu.be/CkT6rlhqX1g