Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 1W Blue Laser and my roommates

I purchased a new 1 Watt 445nm Blue Laser and my roommates think it's extremely awesome and want to use it when it arrives. I said they can use it on the condition that they know exactly how to use it and to sign a paper saying that I'm not responsible for anything that may happen as a result of them using it. I wrote this out today and was wondering if it seems good enough and if all of the information is accurate. I plan on sending this to both of their emails and then having them sign individual printed copies. Is it too much or just enough? :D

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...3pCQ-irsoLpfcQDbW7rhF6k/edit?usp=docslist_api

Hi Vex,
personally i think it's a bad idea to let your friends use such a powerful devise not knowing if they are smart enough of safe to use it . no matter what you make them sign the ramifications of one of them getting hurt or even hurting some one else is irreversible.
And that will hang over your head for a long time. Plus maybe a law suit would hang you out to dry. Hope you understand were i'm coming from. It's NOT toy remember that it deserves respect always. that's how we here enjoy our hobby and not destroy it.

Rich:)

why would you let the roommates use the lasers at the first place !!
he may abuse it !! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree with the above statements, also people don't treat others things like their own, one of your room mates is likely to exceed the duty cycle and kill the laser, or maybe drop it and flash himself or someone in the eye and that could bring a lawsuit or worse against you.

Alan

I also agree with everyone above. Let me ask you this rhetorically: If you bought a gun instead of a laser and the bullets for it, analogous to the laser and its batteries, would you now give that loaded gun to your roommates for them to handle? That comparison is how most of us here view our Class 3B and especially Class 4 lasers, we have the same safety and precautions taken as if they were firearms. Owning and operating a laser that can permanently damage or blind an eye is a serious responsibility and we here try to be the best stewards of safety regarding our hobby, especially with the heat that is coming down on it from the news stories lately. In any event, choose what you do with your laser wisely and happy lasing! :beer:

I agree with the above statements, also people don't treat others things like their own, one of your room mates is likely to exceed the duty cycle and kill the laser, or maybe drop it and flash himself or someone in the eye and that could bring a lawsuit or worse against you.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thank you for that educated statement ,What is he thinking ? And on top of it all no eye protection recipe for disaster..

@ Lux here here ditto ......

Last edited:
I agree with the above statements and especially Lux Nitida about comparing it to a firearm. Are they people you would trust with a loaded pistol? Will you always be right there when they use it? Do they know about laser safety and duty cycles? Are they the type of people who will screw around and dare each other to do stupid things with the laser such as point it into a neighbors window?

They aren't the type to screw around. They are just as responsible as I am (or else I wouldn't be living with them). I suppose I should have specified what I mean by "let them use it". I mean that I will let them operate it with me next to them at all times. And I do have the proper eye protection. I bought two pairs of Eagle Pair goggles so that two people at once can view the laser. I'm an extremely responsible person when it comes to guns or I suppose in this case, lasers. I realize the potential risks and accidents that can happen when using either of those and I am strict when it comes to safety. If it can endanger someone, I'm not going to allow it to happen. But I know the boundaries and I clearly know that they wouldn't cross them, else I wouldn't even let them hold it in their hands, let alone actually turn it on haha but those are very valid points that all of you brought up. But knowing all of that updated information, do you think it's still okay to let them use it?

Then yes. It is like going hunting with 4 or 5 hunting partners or to the shooting range with several friends.

In my country tare say if you like to get rid of your neighbor just take him hunting, hunting accidents are only accidents haaha ,
You already answers your own Question its your laser even if we give you a tip you have to make the finely decision, i do have friends i never everrrrrrr let any hold a laser i have build, tare can only test the 5mW I got from ebay and even that its limited for only 1 second haha :thinking:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

GSS

Then yes. It is like going hunting with 4 or 5 hunting partners or to the shooting range with several friends.
I see it the same, you introduce it slowly to them an guide them through the steps and knowledge. Since you say they are very responsible and showing interest they have a right to enjoy and learn. Have them sign the papers if it makes you feel better but I dont think it would help legal wise. The best you can do is to verbally warn them. On another note 3 roomies into lasers means 3 times as many lasers;)

I can't give you any legal advise, but when I teach someone to shoot a gun I stand next to them and keep my hands up near the center of my chest, not in an aggressive manner, just hand in my own hand while talking so that I can move quickly and cover the weapon when they start to point it in an unsafe direction, so many newbies do no matter how much you say or how much they say they understand.

I built a friend a laser and explained safety then watched him point it just where ever while putting in the batteries, so I asked him before he screwed the tail cap/switch on " How do you know if that switch is in the off position or not ? " and he is a safe guy, it's just new people doing new things have to learn and something that looks like a flashlight they have to get out of the habit of treating it like a flashlight.

Show to them if you want, let them use it with your direct supervision. DO NOT LET THEM USE IT WITHOUT YOUR SUPERVISION. Keep it locked away.

If I were you I would be less concerned about your roommates, and more concerned about their friends, or friends of friends. Being that it is not their laser, they are not likely to be nearly as cautious with it as you are, and that's when problems happen.

i gotta agree with the friends of friend situation.
-sometimes ago i let a friend of mine borrow my key chain pointer.(metered at 2mw)
-my responsible friend never point it at anybody eyes.
-my friend let their friend borrowed the pointer and my friend gave them the same warning that i gave my friend.
-the friend of friend just point it at random people eye cause they think it fun even after the warning.
-no damage or human was harm.... except the principal have to listen to my rant about the laser physics after inviting me to the office....

Nice documentation! Looks like a good effort was put into that.

I agree with the statements above, but only to a certain extent. To my point of view, I'd say it's all about trust and responsibility at this point; if your roommate is in fact responsible and not immature or irresponsible, I would educate him on both the dangers and safety of laser pointers as well as the science behind them, to give him some insight on the powerful device he will be using. Be sure to also mention to your roommate that they can cause other injuries other than to sight, such as burns. Distraction is another topic to inform your roommate, I always check to make sure there are no moving cars or vehicles within my location before shinning outside. Pointing any laser >5mW at an aircraft is illegal.