Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 1W Blue Laser and my roommates

I agree and good advice from many--

you need to ask yourself if you are willing to take this risk??? what if they allow another to use it??
regardless of any agreement you are liable simply by owning the said laser...
and thinking any instruction you give them will be taken seriously or even listened to.

any topic where people get PHDs is not one for casual instructions...

its just not a subject that 'Cliffs-Notes' version of instruction is enough..

I used Cliff's notes for my rock climbing exam and failed..(JK)

Last edited:

BTW

only a fool would think that their kids will not play with parents guns or lasers..any time they have a chance-- I did-- never got caught either..

I had knuckhead just grab a holstered pistle from me..it was fully loaded. Pull it out and just pointing it in every direction. Aaaagh. Never let that happen again

GSS

Sorry trussmonkey, but that is one horrible post, what the heck happened? or is it too personal.

Thank you guys for all of the advice. I do trust both of them the same. They are very smart and like me, have safety concerns. They know all of the risks and I think they would be perfectly fine using it. Obviously I will be right there with them when they do use it and I think I'm going to purchase a lock-box to keep it safe when I'm out of the house. It's not that I don't trust them but if someone else came to the house and saw it, they might think it was a toy or something. But once again thank you to everyone for the amazing advice. Happy lasing! :D

I purchased a new 1 Watt 445nm Blue Laser and my roommates think it's extremely awesome and want to use it when it arrives. I said they can use it on the condition that they know exactly how to use it and to sign a paper saying that I'm not responsible for anything that may happen as a result of them using it. I wrote this out today and was wondering if it seems good enough and if all of the information is accurate. I plan on sending this to both of their emails and then having them sign individual printed copies. Is it too much or just enough? :D

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...3pCQ-irsoLpfcQDbW7rhF6k/edit?usp=docslist_api

I agree with all the comments so far, in particular with respect to the gun analogy. Even though there are established protocols for firearm instruction, especially with respect to CWP training requirements, these do not deal with the lending of firearms.

The closest analogy perhaps would be a gun range where weapons can be rented. The paperwork requirement depends are state specific and usually prepared by an attorney more so for liability considerations that criminal ones. Generally, the gun range owner would usually at the least have the protection of having become an llc entity. However, there are ways around this and an unhappy jury in a civil action could really ruin the owners day. There are no guarantees with respect to the law in civil actions.

However, turning ones attention to an individual loaning a firearm is another matter. Having owned all sorts of firearms I never loaned any of them nor would I ever consider doing so in the future...not to anyone even my own brother, period, even if I trusted the individual.

There are numerous reasons for this. A firearm is not a toy. It is not a car. It is not contrary to some individual's popular belief a device for sport to punch holes in paper.

The reason firearms were created was only for one reason and one reason only, to kill. I will repeat that, firearms were created for one reason, to kill either an animal or a man, period. When not in my custody even if loaned to a person I trust, the weapon could be stolen, lost, you name it. If anything untoward happened to someone, I could be held civilly responsible. How about if I had an attorney draft a document releasing me from any responsibility? The problem is that legally binding documents are all well and good. However, in a civil action, a jury could use their power of nullification and act as though the document did not exist in essence finding how ever they want no matter how illogical it might seem.

OK, so one might say, a laser is not a gun. It was not designed to either kill or blind. However, a laser can certainly do the later and again, no matter how brilliant the attorney, a jury in a civil action can act as though the document did not exist.

These have been legal arguments. The simplist one I would make is a moral one. If you own something that is inherently potentially dangerous, don't loan it out because even if you were not sued, you would be haunted by the knowledge that your laser harmed someone.

If your roommates are interested in lasers let them come to this forum just as you have and learn what you have. You can teach them if you want. You can demonstrate the laser. Just don't relinquish custody and control of it. Let them either build or buy their own and be responsible for what they own.

Polonius' advice about money applies to this situation as well: "neither a borrower nor a lender be."

in germany my grandpa always removed the real bullets from the gun and insert gas bullets like peeper spray me and my friend found the gun and i was like wahuu i took it too shot and i was shooting outside and after like 3minutes my eyes and my friend ware burning we never took a gun again lol,i was like 14 at the time , i was crying and my friend my grandpa saw us on the street took us home and my mom washed our face i could not open my eyes heheheh :crackup:

Last edited:
Show to them if you want, let them use it with your direct supervision. DO NOT LET THEM USE IT WITHOUT YOUR SUPERVISION. Keep it locked away.

If I were you I would be less concerned about your roommates, and more concerned about their friends, or friends of friends. Being that it is not their laser, they are not likely to be nearly as cautious with it as you are, and that's when problems happen.

First of all: Great job doing your home work and putting together such an informative and well-written document!

Second of all: I TOTALLY agree with all of InfinitusEquitas' comments above.

-jeff

+7 to the OP when sys .allows..

about 'fake bullets'-- did not find your post amusing-
a guy not long ago fired a 'blank' at close range and somebody died.. unloaded and trigger locks &/or a good gun safe..any less is foolish...

BTW only a fool would think that their kids will not play with parents guns or lasers..any time they have a chance-- I did-- never got caught either..

Ha, I did the same thing with my uncles pistol, my cousin brought it over with him, secretly of course, went shooting but couldn't hit that darn coke can hard as we tried.