Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with PSU for CNI MGL-W-532

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I recently obtained a CNI unit, but I need clarification on the allowed input ac voltage. On the back there is no specs plate, product/serial numbers etc. But someone has taped on it 110v. Inside the psu there is a rectifier that says it allows 85-264v. Long story short, I need to run it on 240v. Is there any reason why this psu wouldn’t run on 240v, or anyway of making sure it can? I don’t want to run it and risk breaking the psu.

I’ll add some images later, I’m on my mobile atm. I thought all CNI psu’s would accept us/uk voltages personally.

Edit: Added a couple of images.

I haven’t come across CNI PSU with an emergency stop like that before. I’ve tried searching to see if I can find out more about this specific driver. But I have only come across it on a auction.

This is from the side of the unit.

I’ll get a few more pictures including one of the back. And I’ll see if I can take a look inside it today.

Last edited:

Encap

I recently obtained a CNI unit, but I need clarification on the allowed input ac voltage. On the back there is no specs plate, product/serial numbers etc. But someone has taped on it 110v. Inside the psu there is a rectifier that says it allows 85-264v. Long story short, I need to run it on 240v. Is there any reason why this psu wouldn’t run on 240v, or anyway of making sure it can? I don’t want to run it and risk breaking the psu.

I’ll add some images later, I’m on my mobile atm. I thought all CNI psu’s would accept us/uk voltages personally.

A quick email to CNI asking the question would sort it properly and that way you have the gospel according to to it's creator rather than a hackers best guess.
Don't take a chance on ruining it--ask CNI.

Last edited:
Usually the rectified voltage of switch mode power supplies is around 375V (240 V AC div by 0.64). Looks like the power supply is designed for 168 V AC max.

Do the wires from the AC input plug connect directly to that module stating 85-264 VAC?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Encap, was going to pop an email into them. (y)
I haven’t had a chance to look properly inside for that yet Chris. But I will check that out.

Encap

Thanks Encap, was going to pop an email into them. (y)
I haven’t had a chance to look properly inside for that yet Chris. But I will check that out.
See: http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/MGL-W-532.pdf and http://www.cnilaser.net/MGL-W-532.htm

See: http://www.cnilaser.com/PDF/PSU-W-FDA.pdf On page 1 bottom photo label "" Voltage Range" of unit see voltage sticker next to mains input which in this case says "110V/220V AC"---should be one there that tells the Voltage range of the PSU .

Ask CNI to be sure --give them serial number of your unit and photo in email---best bet.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks for the links Encap, unfortunately I have no serial number etc on the back of the unit. Apart from someone’s 110v label, there is no information on the psu at all.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Lol. I could do with one of them. One that gives you money though. :p

Where do the input AC wires go? What is on the boards? Do you not have a camera? Please be VERY specific and outlandishly detailed if necessary. No one can help you without knowing this.

I agree. many older units are specific, but more recent ones are universal. It will be very important to look over the unit carefully and give all the info you can. If it was labelled 110 on tape or something, then odds are, that is what it is set up for.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Cyp and UK. I’ve been rather busy the last couple of days, but I’ll update this thread soon with pics if I can figure out a way of resizing them on my phone. I haven’t taken a look inside the unit yet. But this does appear to be an older variant of one of CNI’s PSU’s.

Edit: Added two images for now.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry for the double post. I’ve opened up the power supply and it is 110v. Luckily I didn’t try it on 240v. I’ll attach some more images later. As I now need to know what power rating I need for a transformer. There is a 360w power supply inside, that is rated only for 110v. So that’s where I’m limited.

Once again, it's hard to know without pictures. Even if the PCB is labeled for 110V, it could be functional at 220, or could easily be modified for 220.