Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help finding a high quality laser

Aquarius1234

I'm looking for a high quality 1w blue laser pointer with a glass lens and focus. I've bought some on eBay, but they are cheap Chinese knock off that stop working after a few uses. I've seen a few websites that sell lasers l, but I'm not sure how reputable these sites are. Can someone recommend a high quality laser pointer for me? Maybe link me to a website that you've had a good experience with?

Sowee7

hello, are you new to lasers? if you are, please consider getting a lower powered laser that is under 50mw at least, dont forget to get laser safety glasses from a reputable source like Thorlabs

julianthedragon

good sellers: JetLasers, Sanwu, Laserglow, Survival Laser (won't ship lasers to US)

if you are, please consider getting a lower powered laser that is under 50mw at least
Yes to this. Don't make a 1W blue your first laser. If you still decide to get it buy OD6+ safety goggles that are rated for the wavelength of the laser, and be responsible. Survival Lasers sells good glasses and Sanwu does too in my experience

Sowee7

good sellers: JetLasers, Sanwu, Laserglow, Survival Laser (won't ship lasers to US)

Yes to this. Don't make a 1W blue your first laser. If you still decide to get it buy OD6+ safety goggles that are rated for the wavelength of the laser, and be responsible. Survival Lasers sells good glasses and Sanwu does too in my experience
please dont buy survival laser glasses, ive had a BAD experience with them, i bought glasses for 180-540nm and 800-1900nm and i tested the glasses with my 532, i could still see some 532nm light go through.

julianthedragon

please dont buy survival laser glasses, ive had a BAD experience with them, i bought glasses for 180-540nm and 800-1900nm and i tested the glasses with my 532, i could still see some 532nm light go through
Oh I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info

Aquarius1234

hello, are you new to lasers? if you are, please consider getting a lower powered laser that is under 50mw at least, dont forget to get laser safety glasses from a reputable source like Thorlabs
No I'm not new. I've had a few high powered lasers. 1w blue laser, 2w blue laser, and 1.5w infrared laser. They just didn't last very long.

Aquarius1234

All of those places won't ship to the US, or just the last one you listed?

julianthedragon

Just the last one, the rest ship to the US. And for the last one I just meant lasers, they have a store at survivallaserusa.com that only sells equipment and not actual lasers

Placed an order with Sanwu last week. Only took 7 days from the time I placed the order till the package arrived here in California. Highly recommended! Very high quality

Garoq

please dont buy survival laser glasses, ive had a BAD experience with them, i bought glasses for 180-540nm and 800-1900nm and i tested the glasses with my 532, i could still see some 532nm light go through.
Just because you could see some "532nm" light through the goggles doesn't mean they are bad. Green is the most visible color to the eye, and even with OD6 goggles you would be able to see some light. I have also observed what appeared to be a wavelength shift with 532nm DPSS lasers. If you are unhappy with our goggles please return them.

Sowee7

Just because you could see some "532nm" light through the goggles doesn't mean they are bad. Green is the most visible color to the eye, and even with OD6 goggles you would be able to see some light. I have also observed what appeared to be a wavelength shift with 532nm DPSS lasers. If you are unhappy with our goggles please return them.
i am not using one of those cheap green laser pointers, i was using a temperature stabilized 5mw lab laser, i mesured it to be at 532nm with no other lines and no wavelength shift. dangerous amounts of laser light could be coming through if you used a 200mw or 500mw 532nm dpss laser.

Garoq

i am not using one of those cheap green laser pointers, i was using a temperature stabilized 5mw lab laser, i mesured it to be at 532nm with no other lines and no wavelength shift. dangerous amounts of laser light could be coming through if you used a 200mw or 500mw 532nm dpss laser.
I disagree. No way would more than 5mW of 532nm light be coming through from a 200 or 500mW DPSS laser. 5mW lasers are not considered dangerous for brief eye exposure.

@Sowee7 The goal of laser safety eyewear is not to completely block all light of the design wavelength(s). It is to block enough of the light that the laser is not hazardous to the wearer's vision. The optical density you need for a laser depends on the power of the laser.
The true test of laser safety eyewear is to measure the power of your laser before and after passing through the lens, then determine what proportion of the light is transmitted.

Just because some of the laser light is visible, does not mean the glasses are ineffective. The human eye is remarkably sensitive, especially to green light, as Garoq points out, so it is not unreasonable that you can detect the very low light level that passes through the glasses.

Optical density (OD) tells you what proportion of the light will be blocked. I'd suggest doing a bit of reading on the subject for a clear picture of how OD is measured and what it means for our purposes with laser safety.