Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Name our new Current events thread

New name for Current Events Thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
To the guys that never liked the thread existing. I have to apologise that the thread existed in the first place. I never liked it either. It just became necessary to control the heated arguments occurring everywhere else. I didn't really want my legacy here to consist of the politics thread being the biggest thread on here.

Eidetical

Nothing personal. I wonder if, under a "current news & politics" section, each writer had a personal page for their thoughts on a topic. A place to make a point. Others so inclined could make their counter point on their own page. None of those pages should appear on the "What's New" page. Just a thought.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, I agree with the thread not being in the "Latest Posts". That was my main reason for wanting it moved to Veterans so it would not be visible to new members or guests and potentially turn them off the forum.

There are some limits as to what can be done within the forum software, which unfortunately doesn't let the moderators limit post count to only on-topic threads or to hide specific threads from "Latest Posts", but that is a good idea and I will ask admin about it as I have thought of this too. I remember this came up years ago as some people were just mass posting in the politics/religion/random gif threads to massively boost post count to become a veteran. Under the old forum software it wasn't an option but maybe now this can be done under Xenomorph forum.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It was in the vet section so why did the old thread need to removed just to create another? Nothing is making sense here? The thread was threatened of closure multiple times. A poll was created that democratically chose to keep it open. Then after more attempts of closure it was compromised that it was stuck in the vet section. Then one morning I wake up to a notification of the thread being deleted. Then I see all of this discussion and arguments of creating a new one. So I’m a bit pissed off. I didn’t care much about the thread itself. But I do care about the handling. Especially when it seems to be pretty illogical in its thinking. Remove a purposeful thread that’s been there for years, was hidden and served it’s purpose and then aimlessly discuss on the open forum the replacement with stupid names for a identical thread in its replacement.

Last edited:
Maybe the new thread is a bad idea, I can already imagine someone posting again and again the latest political stories, maybe we should avoid anything not related to the laser hobby, everyone will get along a lot better that way.

It's like finding out one of your favorite celebrities has a political opinion very different from yours and now someone you liked..... you can't enjoy anymore or at least not as much as before, I've often said celebrities ought to keep politics and religion out of their mouths.

Maybe a better name for the thread would be : Recent News Events ( Not for political debate ! ) Then a moderator could close the thread every time a debate breaks out, which they inevitably will.

Maybe you guys shouldn't open this thread at all, if NATO goes to war with Russia and China invades Taiwan we can all say WOW together in the ( off topic/other ) under a new thread only in case of something big.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'm starting to think that making a news thread at all is a bad idea. You guys cannot contain yourselves. I mean seriously it's nothing but bitching and complaining with most of you. What am I supposed to do ban everyone? That won't work.

I would rather let the politics die for a while, at least until next year, so I'll change my vote to no new thread........There's an idea, make a poll for if there should be a new NEWS/EVENTS thread or not.

Last edited:

kecked

Come now. How often do I offer an opinion. Not much. That should tell you something. Let it die or restore the old thread. I love all of you and the sharing of lasers and science. There is a reason politics and religion are not often mixed in with science.

sorry to anyone I have offended. I wish you well.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Okay for now no current events thread. I appreciate all of your input and attempts at civility. You are a great group of people and I'm honored to work for you guys.

so the new thread has been cancelled before its inception? I can see why curtisoliver is a little perturbed by the unfolding events and cancellation of the og thread, but i do think a change was in order. I don't think not having a thread is a good solution either however- I think the current events thread idea is good. But i get the hesitancy as well. Well whatever you guys decide is fine by me. But If my vote counts (unlike when I lived in Michigan lol) i vote for either reopening the og thread or starting the new one

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
We'll take that into consideration. I left it up to ears and eggs to make the thread. So he's the guy to do it.

I've been offline for over a week when my last laptop but the big one. I really don't understand why the thread was deleted. If you just closed it that would have different. There are plenty of new news events everyday and may are political. I have never had a problem ignoring a thread I wasn't interested in. I don't understand why others have a problem ignoring it if they are not interested. I guess that's just me.

BTW, even with all my contributions to the Political Debates thread having been deleted I still have more than 16,000 posts about lasers here.

No one cares

No one! Are you sure about that? On the Political Debates thread I was more often than not the only voice in opposition to the mainly conservative views. Most of my arguments came from my subscriptions to the Washington Post and the NY Times. I didn't usually mind when I was called all sorts of nasty names as in my College Ethics class debates name calling is only used when one is losing the argument. Still, I was the only one there that ever got banned for the things that I said.