Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Two matching sets! [heavy picz]

Hiya folks, I had a very productive weekend and I just wanted to show off with meh new toys.

Here is a group photo, all 6 lasers accounted for.
DSC00767.jpg

From left to right - 95 mW bluray, 100 (80-90) mW green, 230mW red, 81 mW bluray, 30 (45) mW green and finally 180mW red.

I will now show you the details of each laser. Also I would like to give Bill a big thanks, because without him, none of these lasers would be here.

First stop, 95 mW bluray.
Seen in thread with 230 mW red, this one sports my own boost converter, 1x 18650 battery, PHR diode at 100mA and total of 0.14 current draw.
DSC00770.jpg

Beamshot attempt here, beam more visible in real life actually. My camera just suckz big time.
DSC00771.jpg

Next, 100mW green.
Ahhh this one is the pride of my work this weekend, a lot of effort and time was put into this little guy and I am happy to call it my favourite out of these 6 lasers. See details of construction here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/cree-c6-o-like-100mw-build-50396.html
Power output fluctating around 85 mW. Can light matches if you are lucky. I succeded a few times.
Notice how shiny and reflective the heatsink is. Bill sure has skill machining heatinks.
DSC00772.jpg

Beamshot
DSC00773.jpg

Now, this one is the most powerful laser of these 6. Built entirely by Bill, it has machined diode pocket in heatsink and LM1117 driver with 400mA current draw and glass lens. Custom lens assembly and focus ring. Bill is the man.
Laser uses 2x 16340 (CR123 size li-ion) batteries.
DSC00774.jpg

Beamshot attempt. My cam just does not do it justice :(
DSC00775.jpg

Now, here is a "small miniset". Every color less powerfull, but lasers smaller and more compact.
81 mW is oldest of the 6, and was featured in my first youtube video. My own boost converter, power supply either 3x AAA or 1x 14500 with plastic sleve.
DSC00776.jpg

Beamshot.
DSC00778.jpg

Next!
Now this little fella was build today in like 15 minutes, just to complete the set. That is why is so messy. Some drawbacks noticeable here. First of all, it uses 1x 16340, but since I only have two in my possesion, 230mW red and this laser cannot operate simultaniously. Damn it. Anyhow, O-like 30 mW module made nice 45 mW readout and has nice beam. Switch replaced by rectifier diode to drop some voltage.
Notice that it is the only case positive build in entire set of 6.
DSC00779.jpg

My compliments to Bill for enormusly enormus brass heatsink. I used that one because one side of it wasa bit extruded and was covering up the module sticking out part.
DSC00780.jpg

Beamshot:
DSC00781.jpg

Notice how the lens is recessed like, 1 whole cm into the module.
Anybody has a nice method of removing excess brass, without making it messy and destroying a lens? I appreciate it!

And last, made this little fella in 30 minutes, because I wanted a red in such a nice host. Current set to 320 mA to conserve the batteries, and to make it 'smaller brother' of the 230mW red. Still awsome burner.
Uses 3xAAA battery holder with one slot jumped and 2x 10440 batteries installed.
DSC00782.jpg

Also beamshot attempt without much luck.
DSC00785.jpg

Well folks, this would be it.
Big thanks to Bill once again, all the small set hosts and two C6 hosts are his. All heatsinks made by him and some components for the drivers supplied by him.
Also, almost all the batteries are his. And the chargers to charge those batteries :D

I hope somebody was given some ideas , or just got addicted to the hobby.

See you around folks!

Last edited:

You might be able to put something inside the brass up against the lens to protect it, and then use a file, or a hacksaw.

D

Deleted member 8382

What the... I wish I could produce 3 lasers per day lol

You might be able to put something inside the brass up against the lens to protect it, and then use a file, or a hacksaw.
Nothing comes to mind.
Sawing it off would leave quite a messy ends, I don't want to risk ruining the esthetics of the laser module.

Anyway that brass heatsink is too much for 30mW green anyhow, I will install the 30mW in another host anyhow, sooner or later.

Nice laser collection you got there!
That's a whole lot of lasers you got all of a sudden. The brass heatsink looks nice! You should have saved it for a stronger laser like you said.

There's this tool that I just thought of. It's some sort of pipe cutter, and you simply put it around the pipe and rotate it. It would work great for that, but I dont know where you could get one... Try a hardware store I guess.
Nice lasers btw I would love to have any one of them.

There's this tool that I just thought of. It's some sort of pipe cutter, and you simply put it around the pipe and rotate it. It would work great for that, but I dont know where you could get one... Try a hardware store I guess.
Nice lasers btw I would love to have any one of them.
Pipe cutters, great idea!

Never thought of that because I never used any, but I know what they are.

I will sure look one up in my local hardware store tomorrow.
Thanks a lot for the advice and comment :)

BTW, wasn't your reply #2, and I replied ,all of a sudden mrRays comment is there and my reply to your is way down #5.

How come?

@Albert, actually, only 4 were built this weekend as 2 were made before.
Thanks a lot though ;)

That's quite the productive weekend! Two nice sets of lasers there. Cutting off that excess brass can be risky. You don't want to dirty the lens with chips and filings. If you could get a little plastic circle over the lens and mount, then pack some tissue over it to hold tightly in there, you could risk cutting the brass off. You will need a very fine hacksaw blade, cut it a mm or so long, finish up with a fine file. Shake all dust out, then remove tissue and plastic circle. I'm assuming that you don't have a dremel and cutoff wheels handy. Great set of pics !!!

Cutting off that excess brass can be risky. You don't want to dirty the lens with chips and filings. If you could get a little plastic circle over the lens and mount, then pack some tissue over it to hold tightly in there, you could risk cutting the brass off. You will need a very fine hacksaw blade, cut it a mm or so long, finish up with a fine file. Shake all dust out, then remove tissue and plastic circle. I'm assuming that you don't have a dremel and cutoff wheels handy.
That's why I suggested the pipe cutter. It should greatly reduce the risk of shavings getting on the lens. You probably wouldn't even have to worry about covering the lens.

The pipe cutter works by being rotated around the module, as the handle on the cutter is tightened slowly. The round blade will push in and sever the copper pipe or module, leaving the end of the module tapered in slightly. It would not be possible to thread the lens nut out. A clean saw cut and file leaves the chance of unscrewing the lens if ever necessary. However, there is the dust ...

daguin

Look for a small "tubing cutter" instead of a "pipe cutter." Having one is very valuable for this kind of work any way

Peace,
dave

That's great, guys!
Thanks!
Will look up today or tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for the main gem for the crown of my collection, Dave! :D
It's been like two years... Ahh, no, only a week. My bad.
:D

Haha are you gettin' a 12x?
Hahah, you wish.

I purchased a GGW diode from Dave.
A great purchase I might add, I made a thread in feedback section, Dave is a great guy!

I cannot wait for it to arrive.
My first GGW.

Wanna see the host I'll put it in?