Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My take on a quad red

Technically Arctos (the patent holder Andy's referring to) could have a case against you if you use the device commercially in a system for shows, but I have yet to see or hear of anyone (other than interested hobbyists) requesting to see the inside of the show projectors at some event.. What they don't know can't hurt 'em (or you) ;).

i know someone where things went bad with arctos, so trust me it does happen :(

Of that I have little doubt, but if it were me they'd have a REAL hard time proving that I was using their design. Somehow they would have to be tipped off first.. I've found that keeping completely mum publically can help prevent things like that from happening. For all they know I could be using their designs right now doing festivals here. Of course I'm not, but if I were then a policy of complete public silence about the internals of any systems that might infringe would be an EXECELLENT shield. Not that I encourage such things of course..

Last edited:

ped

Of that I have little doubt, but if it were me they'd have a REAL hard time proving that I was using their design. Somehow they would have to be tipped off first.. I've found that keeping completely mum publically can help prevent things like that from happening. For all they know I could be using their designs right now doing festivals here. Of course I'm not, but if I were then a policy of complete public silence about the internals of any systems that might infringe would be an EXECELLENT shield. Not that I encourage such things of course..

Or could you not alter the design slightly so as not to infringe the patent?.

Maybe going overkill here, sometimes people do things just to pass time or to see if they can be done, which maybe the case here, i just know if I knocked something together like that..i'd wanna use it to its full potential!

That's not a shield. It's merely trying to stay under the radar. Just because you aren't making your design public doesn't mean it is immune from patent infringement lawsuits, nor is it a "shield" or a type of "reasonable doubt" (because intent is not a factor in civil lawsuits).

You probably won't get sued because you're operating at a small-fry scale and it's not worth the time to sue someone for some $1000 one-time hardware sales. Now if you're selling many of these things or are manufacturing these, you could easily get sued.

HIMNL9

Technically Arctos (the patent holder Andy's referring to) could have a case against you if you use the device commercially in a system for shows, but I have yet to see or hear of anyone (other than interested hobbyists) requesting to see the inside of the show projectors at some event.. What they don't know can't hurt 'em (or you) ;).

Uhm, excuse me, but ..... they can, probably, have a case against you if you use their same exact design, for build your assembly ..... but, as far as i know, the beam joining technique called "knife edge", cannot be patented itself, cause it's public domain (my english is bad, but i hope it's clear enough what i mean)

Mean, ofcourse, i can be accused of violation of patent if i build an IDENTICAL device as the one they have made, but if i design my own device, none can accuse me, also if i use the "knife-edge" technique, right ?

trust me when i say arctos got wind and things got nasty.

yes there ways round the patent, but the only way to get it perfect is to do it the proper way and thats got a patent on it.

Uhm, excuse me, but ..... they can, probably, have a case against you if you use their same exact design, for build your assembly ..... but, as far as i know, the beam joining technique called "knife edge", cannot be patented itself, cause it's public domain (my english is bad, but i hope it's clear enough what i mean)

Mean, ofcourse, i can be accused of violation of patent if i build an IDENTICAL device as the one they have made, but if i design my own device, none can accuse me, also if i use the "knife-edge" technique, right ?

knife edging isnt the problem its stacking the beams and using a cube to combine 48 diodes.

HIMNL9

knife edging isnt the problem its stacking the beams and using a cube to combine 48 diodes.

So, if i have understood right, that patent is valid ONLY for their 48-diodes combiner .....

Asking, mainly, cause i'm designing a compact set for combine 4, 6 or 8 LDs, using both knife edge and PBS, so if the patent is related exclusively to their setup, anyone is free to build different units (if i'm not wrong) .....

Cheech

I have been looking to knife edge some lpc's and this setup looks really simple, would you mind letting us know where the optics came from. I would like to attempt the same setup. I thought I would need a beam expander in reverse which would probably be expensive.
Guess I need to start reading on PL.

no its not just a 48 diode setup, its the method of stacking and combining using a cube. the full patent is on their site.

sorry also forgot to add using the telescopic parts is against there patent.

you wont run into problems doing an 8 diode

I have been looking to knife edge some lpc's and this setup looks really simple, would you mind letting us know where the optics came from. I would like to attempt the same setup. I thought I would need a beam expander in reverse which would probably be expensive.
Guess I need to start reading on PL.

there lots of ways to do a quad build and mine isnt necessarily the best.

you could use 4 lens27's and a cube then you wouldnt need telescopics.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

no its not just a 48 diode setup, its the method of stacking and combining using a cube. the full patent is on their site.

sorry also forgot to add using the telescopic parts is against there patent.

you wont run into problems doing an 8 diode

Uhm ..... wondering about how they can have patented a common optical principle .....

Anyway, basically, my project is schematized in the attached pics (very schematic, is for give the idea) ..... do you think it can break some patents ? ..... i think not, cause it's a totally different setup, and also the "telescopic" part is simply a standard 2-positive-lenses Keplerian beam expander (if there is someone that can claim a patent about this, may be Keplero, not any other person, i suppose :D)

Attachments

• 8 beams combiner front.jpg
    8 beams combiner front.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 581
  • 8 beams combiner top.jpg
    8 beams combiner top.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,279

ped

Uhm ..... wondering about how they can have patented a common optical principle .....

Was thinking that...its a bit like saying "you cant hold your flashlight like that...i do, and i slapped a patent on it! " , its my flashlight...i'll hold it how i damn well please.

You built the parts...YOU assembled it...i'd be giving him the finger.

guys all i have to say is the patent is on arctos web site so go have a look and dont think they wont take action.