Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My smallest laser Yet

16x red diode. It's not pretty, but it sure is fun.:):) I will let the pictures do the talking.
Feel free to ask questions.
IMGP1063.jpg

IMGP1066.jpg

IMGP1064.jpg

Last edited:

LOL...only the best!!

Direct driven with 2 CR2016 Batteries.
Total of 6V
These batteries have a very high internal resistance, so the current levels are relatively safe. The bad part is that the batteries do give a small burst of power when it's first turned on and also it's lack of a heat sink.

Either way...I am estimating that it is putting out between 150 and 210mW. The beam is rather visible.

Thanks for the comment,
Iskor12

FYI: I honestly don't expect the diode to last very long...but I guess only time will tell. :)

I guessed that you are using internal impedance to "limit" the current. :yh:
I did that long ago using cheep aaa cells!

HMike

if you can find a small smd capacitor and solder it directly to the leads it would help smooth out the spike at start up.

Last edited:
It's not that messy! I like it. Extremely small, but with a respectable shot of power. Neat little brass module your diode is in. How long do the batteries last?

16x red diode. It's not pretty, but it sure is fun.:):) I will let the pictures do the talking.
Feel free to ask questions.

What is god?? :D

Seriously, nice build. Somebody has to create an ultra small driver so we can reduce the size even more... I like a lot keychain builds.

Asherz

What is god?? :D

Seriously, nice build. Somebody has to create an ultra small driver so we can reduce the size even more... I like a lot keychain builds.

it couldn't be reduced anymore, because there is no driver in it lol. The current isn't regulated, it's just held around 300mA or what ever by internal resistance.

Very nice build though, very intuitive :)

Asherz

Well I was talking about making real pointers that would last long.

Most of the time is battery size that limits the host size of the build, we need a 9/6V battery that is the size of a button cell, that would allow for some really small hosts, since the flex driver is already small enough to be concealed in most places :)

But a smaller driver wouldn't hurt!

The biggest problem in his pointer is that it doesn't have a driver. That's why I was saying that somebody should make some really small driver.

I remember seeing at digikey.com some ICs described as laser diode drivers. I wonder if these could make single component drivers...

Something like this : http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LMH6525.pdf

They're only $13 with shipping (24h), and they are really small.

Last edited:
The biggest problem in his pointer is that it doesn't have a driver. That's why I was saying that somebody should make some really small driver.

I remember seeing at digikey.com some ICs described as laser diode drivers. I wonder if these could make single component drivers...

Something like this : http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LMH6525.pdf

They're only $13 with shipping (24h), and they are really small.

If its operating safely , why would it not having a driver be a problem?