LPF Site Supporter
- Oct 14, 2012
"Spring Green" in a Champagne Host
Here's my offering of the "Sharp 503nm SB1573N91" diode in an elegant champagne colored, hard anodized host.
I've decided to call it "spring green" since nobody can agree what to call some of these new blue/green wavelengths.
This is another build of mine that has seemingly been forever getting finished, it feels like they're all that way these days!
This particular version of the Sharp 503nm is a case positive diode, which limits the selection of available drivers; at the time that I built this, the "Blitz-Linear" was about the only available option, as far as I know.
I had some bad luck with my first two Blitz-Linear's, as the pot wouldn't adjust properly, then the second batch of drivers arrived, and the first one worked perfectly right off the bat!
I set my driver to 225mA, rather than the 250mA - 275mA that many are using, hoping for a little longevity and minimal wavelength shifting.
Another delay occured when I ended up stealing the host that I had intended to use for this build.
I was going to use a J/L Ti-B host, but I thought it would look better in my recently finished 493nm build.
I got lucky though, and found this classy looking champagne colored DIY flashlight build kit on "Kaidomain" for only $15.67; it's a good quality host with stainless crown and tailcap pieces, and nice smooth threads.
The only problem with ordering from a site like this and using free shippimg, is that it can take seemimgly forever to be delivered, about 3 1/2 weeks in this case.
Components Used For This Build:
- "K-1" DIY Flashlight Host (Kaidomain).
- Sharp SB1573N91 diode @502.9nm (Paul1598419).
- 12mm Copper Module (DTR).
- Blitz-Linear Driver set at 225mA (Survival Laser).
- Custom Focus Adapter, Heatsink, and Battery Adaptor tube.
- (2) 16340 "AW" Button Top Batteries.
Dimensions & Weight:
- Length = 140mm (5.51")
- Diameter = 25mm (.984")
- Weight w/Battery = 155g (5.46oz)
- Weight w/o Battery = 120g (4.23oz)
Measured Power Output:
- 3 Element Lens = 76mW
- Acrylic Lens = 84mW
- G-2 Lens = 101mW
Finally a few photos of the construction and then some beams! :yh:
Kaidomain "K-1" DIY flashlight kit.
Host head piece before pill was drilled out for more heatsink room.
Blitz-Linear driver attached to diode/module, with a couple of added pieces of copper for a bit of extra heatsinking.
18650 to 16340 battery tube adaptor made from PVC pipe, with both the host, and the battery tube labeled for battery orientation.
Always mark your laser for proper battery polarity! :yh:
Exploded view with all components needed to finish the build.
Assembled and ready to try out. Showing added copper pad for better battery contact.
View of front showing extended heatsink which will support the focus adaprtor for smoother, less wobbly focus adjustments.
Everybody needs a helping hand!
Beam with swirling fog.
A Few Wavelength Comparison Beams! :yh:
That it folks, I hope you enjoyed the trip, thanks for looking! :beer: