Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My New X-Drive Is Here !

My new x-drive got delayed a day in shipping but it got here today so I set about hooking it up....

First I soldered the pos and neg diode leads to the drive....

After that came the input neg jumper lead that goes to the diode case lead...

Then connecting the jumper lead to the drive neg input lead.....

Lastly connecting the pos input lead...

On the pos power input lead I made it a detachable pos power input end cap because I didn't like the fact that anytime you need access to the diode driver cavity you have to unsolder the input lead from the end cap to take it apart, I used a R/C car high current connector and silicone jacketed 99.9% pure copper wire for that lead.

I also added vent holes for the diode driver cavity since air is one of the best insulators known to man and without venting the diode driver cavity is a dead air space great for trapping heat inside it which is the last thing you want your diode driver sitting in !

I think it turned out pretty good for my first ever laser mod, I'm just waiting to hear back from Flaminpyro on whether or not I should use a heat sink and where to put it......

Last edited:

Hi,
Nice job and you will get better every time you build. The quick coupling is a cool idea soldering not bad either . As for the driver being heat sinked i wouldn't worry about that if that X Drive is set to 1.8A no need to..
Now to put it tougher for some beam shots.
Rich:)

What is that? Electrical conduit? Looks like it's coming together, I'd like to see the finished product. :)

Well I finely got around to thermal epoxying a heat sink to the X-Drive and putting it the rest of the way together, Put a set of fully charged batteries in it and clicked the power on and................................................ It works perfectly ! No more power drop out, Just solid plastic melting !

Disclaimer - This is just a short non-earth shattering video of a laser melting plastic...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig9Bd94C8gs&feature=youtu.be

Is this the build where you have the battery going to the tail cap switch? If so, it is going to short out your battery when you apply power. If you are wiring it with the battery negative to the case, then all's well.
I wired it like this and it works great !

This is the best beam shot I was able to take.....

Last edited:
Well I've had some time to really mess around with this laser and after changing out the triple lens for the G-2 lens I have to say it's quite a bit stronger than it was, I have a small LED accessory light on a flexible extension arm but not to long ago it stopped working so now I'm just using it for target practice !

The LED light is looking like swill cheese and a few times i caught it on fire !

I can keep it running for two minutes and the laser body is barely warm.....

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help with the power drops outs it use to have, And a special thanks to Flaminpyro for the X-Drive Mini !!!

Last edited:
I wish I could afford a good laser power meter because with this new driver it is definitely MUCH more powerful and it would be really nice to know just how much more powerful really is !

Looks great.

I have not been around here for a few years. It's these new high power Blue's that have caught my attention. Last one I bought was a 1.6 watt

Looks like I will be gtting a new diode very soon :)

Man this thing is a melting monster ! with just the addition of a X-Drive mini fixed at 1.1 amps and a G-2 lens this thing can melt like this non-stop for 5 minutes or longer and without ever getting warm to the touch !

Last edited:
I'm glad you are enjoying burning and melting things. Hopefully, this won't get old for you too quickly. Good luck.

Nice build! What's the diode in there? Is that your NUBM44?
Oh no ! that host would over heat with that diode faster than a soldering iron heating up ! I believe it is a M140 that comes with a cheap Chinese laser but now it's much stronger than when I got it, Plus it stays that strong for at least 4 or 5 minutes before it even gets a little warm !

You didn't let me pay for it bro
I just now ordered the NUBM44 10 minuets ago, You can still contact DTR and pay as much of it as you like bro, I'm not proud ! lol :bowdown:

Last edited:
Will you permit him to release the ship to address so I can compare it with the one you already gave me?