Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My new computer: Class 4

jnrpop

man thats unreal, love the wall in the background of pic 5 ;D ;D ;D

Wow, you fork out for FB3 and over a watt of lasers but you only buy ScanPro20 galvos? Anyways the pics look great.

Thanks everyone!

MarioMaster said:
Wow, you fork out for FB3 and over a watt of lasers but you only buy ScanPro20 galvos? Anyways the pics look great.

I don't really need anything faster. I'm not doing graphics. The green wasn't supposed to be that powerful, but I thought it better to use my existing 1W than to buy another 300mW.

FireMyLaser said:
Amazing! I see your camera has taken some abuse already.

The first camera I used was my girlfriend's old camera. It took a hit from a liquid sky a while ago and a few from this projector (so by no means a static beam). I'm not sure why it was so sensitive to laser radiation. In any case, halfway through, it died. :-? I'm not sure if it was laser related or not and I switched to another camera. You might have noticed not all of them have the burns.

charlie bruce said:
Woah! I sure hope that camera wasn't expensive..... Was that done by direct exposure? I don't want to break my £300+ camera... Very nice build nonetheless - if only I had that much money...

It was $50 if I remember correctly. The $110 camera took the scanned beams without complaint.

Diachi said:
Is your DAC inside the casing ?

Yes - it's just under the main 5V psu (from an older computer). The ILDA cable comes out and loops back in. I had ease of upgrades and interchangeability in mind during the build. It will accept any ILDA signal.

diachi

Cyparagon said:
[quote author=Diachi link=1231687664/0#8 date=1231705852]Is your DAC inside the casing ?

Yes - it's just under the main 5V psu (from an older computer). The ILDA cable comes out and loops back in. I had ease of upgrades and interchangeability in mind during the build. It will accept any ILDA signal.[/quote]

Yeah, I thought of doing that as well when I have a good case for my scanner. seems a bit easier IMO.

Once again, very nice scanner, +1

-Adam

Coolest computer I've ever seen! +1. ;) I like how the fan turns green. ;D

But why was the red beam so wide?

Man, If I ever do any type of scanner, I might have to steal this idea of housing it in a computer.

Great job man, That's a fantastic build.

randomlugia said:
Coolest computer I've ever seen! +1.  ;) I like how the fan turns green. ;D

red lasers, especially high powered ones have really terrible beam specs

heck just compare say a DX greenie to a red laser in an axiz module

the beam on the red is significantly larger

diachi

MarioMaster said:
[quote author=randomlugia link=1231687664/20#24 date=1231810471]Coolest computer I've ever seen! +1.  ;) I like how the fan turns green. ;D

red lasers, especially high powered ones have really terrible beam specs

heck just compare say a DX greenie to a red laser in an axiz module

the beam on the red is significantly larger[/quote]

This is only diode red lasers though, gas and DPSS have thinner beams, with much better beam specs.

-Adam

The beam on my red is about 5x8mm. I haven't measured the divergence, but I'd guess it's ~2mRad. The problem with gas, is twice the power is needed to achieve similar luminous efficacy unless it's a HeNe, which tops off at 100mW anyway. A 1W krypton laser is probably going to be 5 times or more (used) than what I paid for my red, and it'll take at least 1000 times more power in addition to 1 gallon per minute or more of cooling water. It also won't fit in a computer case.

DPSS requires about 6 times the power to achieve similar luminous efficacy. A 3W DPSS is much larger, inherently more than six times as dangerous, and thirty times the price.

There are 642nm modules available that would have decent specs, but they're also quite a bit more $.

I've kind of taken a liking to the white/yellow/magenta beam shrouded with a red aura anyway. You have to be looking for it to notice it, and even then, you can only see it in single beams. Andy'll tell ya - he's got one, too.

well nearly 2 years late but I'm going to say it anyway, awesome build Cyparagon. I actually agree with you with the red aura, makes the other colours stand out more I feel.

vk2fro

same here - 2 years late but wow, I have computer cases everywhere (and some good looking ones too, not just beige boxes). I might have to also use this idea for my homebuild projector.