Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Monster 6+ watt Laser Build Has Started !

This will be the host for my 6+ watt monster....

I've already gutted the switch assembly and installed a 7.7 amp on/off switch that was a general aviation aircraft landing gear down lock switch and I've beefed up all the interconnections to handle the very high amperage this will be pushing...

Next i'll machine the threaded silver ring and press the 6W NUBM44 450nm 25mm Copper Laser Module W/Blackbuck Laser Driver i'll be buying from DTR's Laser Shop into it.....

And power it with 2 each Basen IMR 26650 4500mAh 60A Flat Top Batteries that fill every last bit of space left in the host !

It should be able to burn a match or two when it's done ! Look out moon, I'm gunning for ya !!!

Last edited:

That's a very unique host and I love that green color! Looking forward to seeing beam shots and a burning video

Pretty wicked looking host! You'll love the burning capability. Divergence though....ugh :(

BobMc

Man your going to get some nice run time with that copper 25 mm module. Should be one powerful build. Best wishes.

It a terrible beam! Like 12 miliradians if I recall properly. But still a beam. I'd just say two inch bar from 8 feet off the top of my head. Sorry oops don't have links but I've had the diode before and I enjoyed impressing people to say the least.

Last edited:
It a terrible beam! Like 12 miliradians if I recall properly. But still a beam. I'd just say two inch bar from 8 feet off the top of my head. Sorry oops don't have links but I've had the diode before and I enjoyed impressing people to say the least.
That's ok because I should be doing my own leg work and not asking others to do it for me, Bad Steve, Bad Steve ! lol

You heard of laser hair removal, Well this thing is going to be laser arm removal !

:lasergun:

Last edited:
Yeah the beam could use some more advanced optics. Please get pics of the host fully broken down. That's a nice side clicky.

Yeah the beam could use some more advanced optics. Please get pics of the host fully broken down. That's a nice side clicky.

Yeah I'm assuming you're talking about the NUBM44 which does have a bad beamspot but if you get the G-2 lens with the 3X BE from sanwu then your beamspot will be circular and collimated. I think mine gets about a 4 inch dot at over 50 feet but I'll double check when I get home. I highly recommend getting the G-2 with 3xBE from sanwu as a combo lens setup

Yeah I'm assuming you're talking about the NUBM44 which does have a bad beamspot but if you get the G-2 lens with the 3X BE from sanwu then your beamspot will be circular and collimated. I think mine gets about a 4 inch dot at over 50 feet but I'll double check when I get home. I highly recommend getting the G-2 with 3xBE from sanwu as a combo lens setup
3XBE, oh just great more custom fabrication work on the host ! :crackup:

You got it, I'm just finishing up the addition of a 6 amp safety lock out switch in the end cap since the main switch is just push to turn on and let go to turn off (momentary) so if your handling it and push that button your cat on the other side of the room might turn into the hairless variety ! So I'm adding a push to turn on/ Push to turn off switch recessed into the end cap for a little more added insurance because heck hairless cats are ugly ! :crackup:

Please get pics of the host fully broken down. That's a nice side clicky.
Oh wait I haven't been taking any pics ! dangnabit I do this ever time ! I plan on taking lot of pics for a write up but I get so involved in the creative process of fabricating custom make with what you got type parts that I forget to take pics ! I'll back track enough to get some pics, I promise ! :angel:

Last edited:
you don't need any more custom work for the 3x BE, just get the adapter from sanwu as well and it screws right into the G-2 lens, just unscrew the silver cap on the lens screw and screw in the adapter to the lens and BE. No custom modification necessary if you got your lens from DTR

Looks good, but maybe pick out a replacement switch to have on standby in case that one burns out under load, I have cooked several Chinese FL switches driving the mighty 44 diode. :)

p.s. The 44 diode with a G2 lens makes a 2 inch wide line at 15 feet and a 7/8 inch line at 15 feet through a 3 element, but add an adaptor and a sanwu 3X expander to that 3 element lens and you will have a fun fire maker.

EDIT: Ok I just read back and see that you upgraded the switch to a 7.7a rated. :gj:
If using a SXD set at 4.5a it will draw 3 amps at 8 volts or 2 amps at 12 volts.

BTW I was just trying out some little led volt meters so I can see when my cells get down to the minimum voltage of 6.8 the SXD needs and noticed that my voltage dropped from 12.1 to 11.6 when I pointed the energized laser down, it was a weak spring in the tail cap under the brass contact bucket.

If you run 2 good IMR cells such as your BASEN 26650's you probably want to recharge when they get down to 3.5 - 3.6v or so as there is a little sag under load. :beer:

54551d1485500315-my-monster-6-watt-laser-build-has-started-sany0092.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0092.JPG
    SANY0092.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
you don't need any more custom work for the 3x BE, just get the adapter from sanwu as well and it screws right into the G-2 lens, just unscrew the silver cap on the lens screw and screw in the adapter to the lens and BE. No custom modification necessary if you got your lens from DTR
Oh wow I didn't know that !

Looks good, but maybe pick out a replacement switch to have on standby in case that one burns out under load, I have cooked several Chinese FL switches driving the mighty 44 diode. :)

p.s. The 44 diode with a G2 lens makes a 2 inch wide line at 15 feet and a 7/8 inch line at 15 feet through a 3 element, but add an adaptor and a sanwu 3X expander to that 3 element lens and you will have a fun fire maker.

EDIT: Ok I just read back and see that you upgraded the switch to a 7.7a rated. :gj:
If using a SXD set at 4.5a it will draw 3 amps at 8 volts or 2 amps at 12 volts.
Ya I use to be in general aviation and I kept some real high end (very expensive) micro switches that were designed for critical systems application like landing gear down lock switches that tell you your gear is down AND locked so they need to work all the time every time !

How much are those sanwu 3X beam expanders ?

Please get pics of the host fully broken down. That's a nice side clicky.
I have pics uploading right now of the end cap safety switch rework and the beginning of the threaded laser module holder rework, The laser module holder is the part that has to be cut out so you can press laser module into it plus it is threaded so it can be screwed into the host......

Last edited:
55 dollars and they are well worth it.

https://www.sanwulasers.org/

Here's one lighting a paper bag with some cardboard inside at 20 feet and a demo at 5 feet, you just twist to zoom the expander, I love em and use them with the 3 element.

p.s. Your lens be it a G2 or 3 element simply screws into the little silver adaptor, then the 3X BE screws into the other side of the little silver adaptor, I used some washers to shim the focus distance I wanted my 3 element set at, I set mine at 15 feet or so but you can experiment with it, here it is on one of my extended runtime beaters.

Of course you know you must wear laser attenuation safety glasses, plus they let you see what the focused spot really looks like so you can dial it in.

52812d1471163998-my-nubm08-beater-sany0339.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow I can hardly wait ! I wish I didn't have to wait until the end of the month to order my diode module but at least by then i'll have everything done with my host and when I get it i'll be burning that day !

That beam expander is smaller than most I've seen and that's a good thing ! Do I need to get the M9*0.5 adapter to screw it onto the lens ?

That's some extended runtime beater for sure, Does it ever get warm ?

Last edited: