Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Jayrob 2D Maglight build!

D

Delorean Geek

I thought I would take some pics to let other laser noobs know what an easy task one of these kits is to put together. Actually, I would not even classify this as a kit, probably closer to say "some minor assembley required"

I got the Jayrob 2D Maglight kit in this morning. For those with customs issues, I doubt any customs agent would think it was anything other than a flashlight with some spare parts:
5061-p3301188.jpg

Here are the complete contents laid out. Notice he labeled what my driver was set at on the host:
5062-p3301189.jpg

Inside the host assembley:
5063-p3301190.jpg

I opted for the "hotmod" option which the flexdrive was already set-up and mated with the heatsink and current set.
5064-p3301191.jpg

Parts all laid out with the included directions from the Maglight thread. Notice he included the unused parts from the Maglight:
5065-p3301192.jpg

I got my diode from Dave that was already pre-installed into an AixiZ module with lead wires soldered on. Batteries arrived a few days ago. All I had to do was solder a few wires together and tighten a few screws!
5066-p3301193.jpg

My completed connections, ready for assembley:
5068-p3301198.jpg

Almost there!
5069-p3301199.jpg

Finished!!...All the work was done for me so I only spent about 30 minutes assembling it. (Got to love that smoke colored host)
5070-p3301205.jpg

Beam shots..last one compared to my Arctic:
5071-p3301203.jpg

5072-p3301211.jpg

Jay told me before I ordered it would take about 3 weeks, and true to his word about 3 weeks later it was on it's way. I could not be happier with this laser. The host and heatsink were crafted exceptionally well and it was extremely easy to build for a noob like me. If you are new to the hobby, it may be daunting to build your own, but with options like the "Hotmod" that Jay offers and the pressed in diode module from Dave, it only requires simple soldering skills to complete this kit. I got the AixiZ lens and module with my doide, so I got the 405 G-1 lens with the build so I have both lenses. The AixiZ lens is an estimated 1.6W, the G-1 lens puts out an estimated 1.8W. I like the AixiZ lens for long distance burning, but close up the G1 IS THE DEAL! For anyone interested, here is the link to Jayrob's Maglight kit. (You will have to purchase the diode, batteries, etc. seperately): http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...exmodp3-side-button-forward-clicky-57278.html

Last edited:

Agreed.^^

Nice & simple. Jays Kits are very easy to put together.:)

Nice Review. + For You.:beer:

Benm

Looks good! Does it run of the original D batteries or did you replace them with lithiums?

D

Delorean Geek

Thanks, but alkaline D cells are 1.5v. These are 32600 rated at 3.7v. The host was modified slightly by jayrob to accept them.

jayrob

The 32600 Li-Ion's fit right in with no modification...

The FlexModP3 driver requires 1.5 volts above diode demand. So with a near maxed 445 build, 2 X Li-Ion's in series, are a perfect voltage for the supply...

Because even when they are needing a charge, you will still have about 6 volts.

Glad you like the kit, and thanks for the review! :) +rep...

jakeGT

I loved my 2d mag, gonna get another one sometime
+1 on this thread/build you did a good job!

shhh

Ya my mag kit from jayrob was perfect.
The man answered every question i had for him. lol Even if they were basic lol.
Great write up.