Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First 445nm Labbie (lots of Pics.)

Here's some pics. of my first 445 build.
I decided to make it a labbie until I get the heat and current demands worked out.
Output is around 900mW using a stock Aixiz lens. I am sure it will top 1W with the glass 445nm lens from Hak. I have already melted a stock one. Burned to a crispy blob is more like it. LOL

Driver is Flex V5 set at 950mA, cooling is accomplished with two 20X20mm fans and one of my custom finned Al. heat-sinks.
I made it duel powered, using internal batteries or with the flip of the switch and a phono. jack it can be ran with a external PSU.
The fans also can be controlled separately. That way I can leave them on after a duty cycle to cool everything down. No waiting 2-3 minutes between duty cycles.
For right now I am using 3 AAA batteries to power the internal power, only because I don't have any 18650's yet. (some ordered)
I am going to use three of them in parallel for plenty of run time.
Using the AAA's, my run time is <2 minutes before output starts dropping.
I will also add a external recharging port, once I get the right batteries.
Alright here's the pics. Outside and inside.
1W445nmLabLaserB005.jpg

1W445nmLabLaser001.jpg

1W445nmLabLaser013.jpg

1W445nmLabLaser2.jpg

1W445nmLabLaser4.jpg

1W445nmLabLaser006.jpg

1W445nmLabLaser002.jpg

1W445nmLabLaser012.jpg

I know it's a little crude, but I wanted to see those blue photons quick.:whistle:
The next one, I will take my time with and have a much more professional looking unit.:yh:
:thanks: for looking.

Ash

Sweet build. A portable labby, looks really clean :yh:
Got any beamshots? Outdoors maybe?

GMH

Sweet.
I'll be working on my labby soon, when all the parts come in.
till then, impatiently waiting.

Sweet build. A portable labby, looks really clean :yh:
Got any beamshots? Outdoors maybe?
:thanks: for comments.
Not yet, but I will get some shortly. I am waiting on a foggy night. (and my glass lens)

Nice labby!

It says Class VI on the label though? :D

Is it an A-130 or A-140 diode?

M
:)
:thanks:
Yes, I thought twice about putting that on there. If I was out somewhere with it, I could not claim it was 5mW.
But, WTH, it won't leave the house much. And when it does, it will be well buried in all my other stuff.
It is a A-130 diode.

Last edited:
He was trying to point out the fact that it is a class 4(IV) rather than a class 6(VI). :p.
I didn't even catch that till he mentioned it.

Ash

He was trying to point out the fact that it is a class 4(IV) rather than a class 6(VI). :p.
Good re-catch.
I didn't understand when he first mentioned it, dyslexia? :undecided:
Thanks for pointing that out... class 6? :eg:

Oops! I dropped the ball on that one. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to make a new label for it. Good thing I'm not a Roman:crackup:

Morgan

I think Rome would have burned sooner if they'd have had these! :crackup:

^Yup, this. I remember a post when these first came out with the same easy to make error. Someone posted, "We now have class VI lasers? :eek: " I wondered if it would come up again. No biggie, I thought it was just a transposition error.

I still think it's a nice labby!

M
:)

I'd leave it as a class VI. It has a custom look to it. LOL No one will doubt it's at least a class IV at those power levels anyway. As far as I know there isn't a higher class than IV, but I'm going to look that up. ...............Yeah, so apparently class IV covers military grade mega watts too.

Last edited:
I'd leave it as a class VI. It has a custom look to it. LOL No one will doubt it's at least a class IV at those power levels anyway. As far as I know there isn't a higher class than IV, but I'm going to look that up. ...............Yeah, so apparently class IV covers military grade mega watts too.

Nah! I had to fix it. Can not have inaccurate info. on one of my lasers. I read somewhere that the FDA is using standard numbers now anyway. I hope so, because that's what I used this time.:undecided:
I can't remember the last time I used any Roman numerals higher then III, so that is my excuse. I mean come on, how often do you all use them in the real world. (other then here)
Pic. of the fixed Labbie
Lots of beam shots to come, as soon as I get my 445 lens.
1W445nmLabLaserc0031.jpg

jooopy

thanks a lot. I love seeing the everyone's designs. this works and it's close to what I may do with an extra 445nm i bought. waiting on my hak lenses as well.

Despite the fact that you consider it "a little crude" it looks fairly neat & clean to me. :D

How noisy is one of those fans? I'm adding a couple to my allelectronics order. Are yours from there by the way?