Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My dream came true....

Well, one of them anyway...

As some of you may remember, being from Downunder, I've only ever seen snow once in my life, a long time ago.
It was brief and it actually wasn't snowing at the time.

But yesterday, we heard that there was snow within a few hours drive from our place so I took the family for a drive hoping that we'd catch a glimpse.
We didn't expect much because usually if there's snow down low enough to be within a few hours driving distance, by the time we get there, it's gone again.

We could feel it getting colder as we ascended up the mountain range and we felt like storm chasers looking to see where this 'elusive snow' is.
Well you can imagine the elation as we could see cars returning down the mountain with snow on them.
A little while later we 'struck gold'.

We finally came up to where there was some light snow patches.
Pressing on we finally came into an area where it had recently snowed heavily.

As we got out of the car and started to walk around, each of us elated that we saw snow on the ground, it actually started to snow and it was unbelievable !!
The temprature dropped and my hands froze, we weren't prepared for such an experience.
I couldn't even make ajustments to my DSLR easily since I was so cold.
Like I said we were hoping for just a glimps from a distance, not a full on snow experience.

We had a ball, the kids were so excited, as were we.

It was such an unexpectely beautiful experience.
We stayed there all afternoon until the sun started to set, at which time we slowing started making our way home again.
And I wanted to share it with you.

RB

:)

2A2A4540-pro.jpg

2A2A4542-pro.jpg

Then it cleared up again and we were greated to a lovely sunny snowy afternoon.

2A2A4610-pro.jpg

2A2A4673-pro.jpg

We even found a frozen 'Drop Bear'.....

:ROFLMAO:

2A2A4688-pro.jpg

GSS

Yeeeeeh Andrew!!!
It also looks like it was the good sticky snow??:)
Any snow ball fights? Did you bring any home in a cooler?
Was it that cold that your fingers were cold or your just not use to it:LOL::unsure:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Oh yeah, looks like you had a cool (literally) experience, Andrew, nice to see that you can cross this off of your bucket list! :cool:

All that snow is fun till you have to drive in it and shovel it for 4 or 5 months a year. 😫

Anthony P

I live on the shore of Lake Erie. Like Bowtieguy said, the novelty wears off quickly. Check out this article from the 80's about winter tae kwon do camp. This is my class and my instructor.

Hi Andrew,
Glad to see the drive wasn't in vain, you received your wish awesome. And the family was there to that's the fun part, as said before when you see snow most of the winter months here well you know the rest. Glad you guys had a wonderful time ..Nice to hear from you buddy.

Rich:)

GSS

Oh yeah, looks like you had a cool (literally) experience, Andrew, nice to see that you can cross this off of your bucket list! :cool:

All that snow is fun till you have to drive in it and shovel it for 4 or 5 months a year. 😫
Your not kidding!
I know Lifetime has a mile long driveway at his house that he has to shovel.
We in New England got nailed in Feb 1978 with a record breaking snow storm that seemed to come out of no where..
Everything was shut down for a week minimum.. It was a blast for kids:) but not for the adults.;)
It drifted and reached 2 story's high at some places. My friends and I climbed up a drift to on top of some stores roofs and started throwing snow balls at people:oops: We were 15 years old:whistle:
A policeman tried chasing us through a big parking lot out in the open with no cars but the snow was so deep he couldn't make any progress and close the gap as we all had the same top speed cause of the deep snow, the funny part was he could see us plain as day:giggle:

Last edited:

OrangeDragon

Man, that looks amazing! I'll take a snowy day over a hot and humid one anytime 😊 those pics were very 'refreshing' !

Nice, I remember the first time I experienced snow fall in the San Francisco bay area when I was about 10 years old, it was an awesome experience. Then after living in Alaska so many decades, now it's ho hum! But I do appreciate how cool it is to experience for the first time, that is not ho hum. Sure doesn't snow where I am living now in Qatar.

kecked

Tell you what come up here for winter and I’ll go to your place for summer. You get snow I get to see southern cross.

:ROFLMAO:
Thanks everyone,
I can see why people would be sick of snow once they've seen it enough times.
It does become difficult to deal with when it's heavy.
It was just so overwhelming to see it snow for the first time, to leave home (from the bush where it's so dry dormant) and in a few hours be in a winter wonderland was an amazing experience.
The kids even started playing Christmas music in the car.

@ArcticDude Tero I can't imagine how wonderful it is where you live, it must be an amazing place.
@CurtisOliver Curtis, LOL yes I can see why it would shut down the network, usually here it's because of bush fires.
@GSS Pete, all I could think of was you wanting to send me some snow in a container, thank you my friend, I now know what it looks and feals like.
There were heaps of snowball fights and yes my fingers weren't used to it plus we didn't expect it to actually snow so we had no gloves, LOL.
Also we made a large heap and put it on the car as we drove home and it stayed there for about two hours, only to fall off as we were approaching home hahahaha...
That was an amazing story about 1978, I can't imagine a two story snow drift.
@BowtieGuy Jeff, I can see why it would be such a problem once it starts snowing for so long.
@Anthony P , I've seen documentaries about Lake Erie, it seems like an amazing place.
Thanks for the link, it's incredible to see Choon Mo Yang in the snow like that, ..... brrrr (in a high pitched voice).
@Lifetime17 Rich, thanks mate, yes I don't think I could handle a snowy climate for too long.
It was a beautiful memory to share with the family though.
@OrangeDragon thank you glad you liked the photos
@Alaskan Chris I would love to experience Alaska for a little while, another amazing place.
@paul1598419 Paul thank you, I'm just glad to have experienced it and feel blessed that I can still come back home and leave the snow behind. I wouldn't enjoy it being in the snow for too long, as you say it becomes very burdensome after a while.

Tell you what come up here for winter and I’ll go to your place for summer. You get snow I get to see southern cross.

@kecked LOL yes we'll do that. The only problem is that it may take me a while and you'll be waiting too long to see The Southern Cross.
It's visible all year round from my place (it's what's called circumpolar as you know).
So what I'll do is share a couple of my photos of The Crux - (The Southern Cross) with you until then.

Here you see it in its starfield, the second photo is outlined and I've also shown where Alpha Centauri is for anyone that may not know where it is. Doctor Smith and the Robinson Family is still on their way there I suppose, :ROFLMAO:

southern cross.jpg

southern-cross-marked.jpg

And in the next one, you can see it just to the left of the Opera House.
I took this long exposure photo of the Opera House to bring out the detail in the structure and when I processed it I noticed that I had caught the Southern Cross too.

Opera-House-Southern-Cross.jpg

Opera-House-Southern-Cross-marked.jpg

Thanks everyone for sharing in my snow adventure.

RB
:)

kecked

Thank you a lot. That’s really on my bucket list. I almost saw it in Florida but it was hidden by a tree. I’ve wanted to come see the nelabar plains and the desert. I hear there is a train. I’d need a full month to make it work. Need another decade before I can do that.

Thank you a lot. That’s really on my bucket list. I almost saw it in Florida but it was hidden by a tree. I’ve wanted to come see the nelabar plains and the desert. I hear there is a train. I’d need a full month to make it work. Need another decade before I can do that.
Oh yeah, spot on.
The Nullarbor Plain is awesome and it's on my bucket list too.
Yes there's a train, check it out:
How awesome would it be to cross the Nullarbor and to do astrophotography along the way !!
:love:

Awesome snowball!
I know !!!
I was just so elated !!!

:p