Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 445nm (lab) build

Ever heard the expression "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? If someone is nice enough to help you by answering your questions and you're rude to them, it should be no surprise that they no longer wish to help you.. I'd advise anyone contemplating helping this guy to avoid it since he's only interested in being spoon-fed. [EF does his best "soup-nazi" impression]: No spoon-feeding for you!

There are plenty of resources all over the web that you can read on your own which will help you learn. Do the work for yourself, it's more rewarding anyway.

Ok keep your knickers on, if your going to start swearing and flying off the handle, i'd rather YOU did let me "figure this shit out for myself" thanks.

I'd like to see the final output from that array, it looks smart.

both of these individuals (E_F and andy) are quite experienced compared to alot here on lpf, and if anything are giving you valuable advice which you react ot unnecessarily

what andy was tryin to tell you is that "fin" heatsinking, isnt gonna do s when it comes to displacing heat from these diodes, they need surface contact to a decent bit of mass, the more the better, any sort of .... "finning" i could think of the way you describe will generate more heat by radiation, and although the tec could be attached to the heatsink for temp control, at that point it is so far away from the diode that i dont see it helping too much.

should have had someone drill u a 5.6mm hole straight through a 3x3x3" alum or copper block, with a 1.5"d x 1/4"deep pilot hole.

would have been cheaer, easier and more use than any of your efforts/thoughts/words.

simple enough ;)

kid-middle-finger.jpg

Last edited:

ped

You know what, you couldnt have me more wrong.
First of all could you (DJeggie) or one of the mods get rid of that stupid picture, its oversized and buggering up the page.

I greatfully accept any advice, comments and criticisms...i fully accept that the members like andy and electro have vastly more knowledge in this field than me, and i doff my cap to them and have nothing but respect.

That said I in no way asked for or required help. This is the multimedia section, where i thought i'd put my (finished with NO help) build. And phrases like "bite the hand that feeds you" and "spoon feed" have no place in this thread as i have NOT ONCE asked for help, so where do you get that from? . If you look at my posts around the forum iv'e been (trying) to help other members as well as asking for help. So with the greatest respect to the knowledgable members on here, speak to me how you expect to be spoken too, no need for swearing and flying off the handle.

Now as per earlier request. Some beam shots. (lightly smoked)

142g582.jpg

Along side my 1W 445nm handheld build

2e6cuc4.jpg

Longer exposure

b7iddg.jpg

2v1qfwz.jpg

Ok, I'll give you that. You did not ask for help, and I apologize for attempting to help. It won't happen again, I assure you.

ped

Ok, I'll give you that. You did not ask for help, and I apologize for attempting to help. It won't happen again, I assure you.

I do hope that doesnt mean if i required help, you wouldnt help? I (hope) iv'e not dis respected or offended you in any way? if so then i offer my sincere apologies. I respect your (and everyone elses) knowledge and experience in this field.

I myself am a mod on many electronics forums, thats my field, and i tear strips off people who expect spoon feeding...i dont tolerate on any of my forums so rest assured I have not and will not do it on LPF.

And i'm man enough to admit when i'm wrong, like i was when i posted the *cough* comment.

i edited the photo just for you champ ;)

(he says very tongue in cheek)

Thank you DJ.

(ps are you a DJ?)

Hey ped, I know you aren't seeking any heat sinking advice, but if I may, I do have a couple builds that came together in a very similar fashion to yours. I always have the front half of the aixis module sinked as well as the back half. These two builds of mine use the very same heatsinks to get the job done effectively!

8925_1156782282556_1317690211_30446065_6353004_n.jpg

17242_1219023598550_1317690211_30579656_5580181_n.jpg

20942_1234971117228_1317690211_30610777_6792164_n.jpg

I hope these give you some good ideas!

I like your enclosure, it looks nice! :beer:

ped

I'm likin that enclosure in the last couple of pics!!

Where did you get that?

ps. ALL cooling advice welcome :)

I do hope that doesnt mean if i required help, you wouldnt help? I (hope) iv'e not dis respected or offended you in any way? if so then i offer my sincere apologies. I respect your (and everyone elses) knowledge and experience in this field.

I myself am a mod on many electronics forums, thats my field, and i tear strips off people who expect spoon feeding...i dont tolerate on any of my forums so rest assured I have not and will not do it on LPF.

And i'm man enough to admit when i'm wrong, like i was when i posted the *cough* comment.

No, I'll simply wait to be asked. If anyone asks for my help, I try to oblige as best I can.

ped

Ok then, i'm going to follow advice and heatsink the entire Aixiz module...what diameter drill bit should i be buying?

regards

NVM im am crazy......
i used a 31/64 and it is to big, i have to wrap the aixiz modules in thermal pads to take up the space. the space left over is about 0.0139
31/64 = 0.484375
The actual hole size in metal = 0.4864 or 12.29mm
12mm = 0.4725
15/32 = 0.46875 (thermal expansion as you drill will make it larger)
you would be better off with a 15/32 and it should fit it might be a press fit but it should work.
i would try the 15/32 first, if it wont fit just barely then put some sand paper on a stick and make the hole a tiny bit larger and smoother.
then try the 12mm and last the 31/64
Also you could use a 12mm reamer, to get a perfect hole.
but thats a bit overkill

Last edited:

ped

Superb thanks, so a 15/32 is closest, but it might be a tight fit? thats no bother, i can had file the rest i guess?

i would use sand paper on a stick attached to a drill it works good.
Take a small rod or drill bit then warp it in a squishy material not to thick then wrap it with sandpaper.
This will give you a good even sanding.
Hand files make grooves that are not good for heatsinking.
And if i recall a 15/32 will make it press fit but not for all aixiz modules vary in size so press fit for some and just right for others. sometimes better to sand the aixiz than the heatsink.
Also some drill bits expand more than others like i found mine expanded by about 0.014 so if my 15/32 does the same it will be 0.48275
Thats about 0.01025 from a perfect 12mm hole but it depends on your bits and if your using a lubricant or not or keeping your work piece cooled.

Last edited:

ped

Ok i get ya.

So i'll try and cool the drilling area, and use a good quality bit then.

Many thanks.

You will want to cool the bit the most. i am making a setup for some more mineral oil and a small fountain pump to cool while i drill it has a filter so my work piece is being cooled by flowing mineral oil.
Again most of this is overkill.

ped

You will want to cool the bit the most. i am making a setup for some more mineral oil and a small fountain pump to cool while i drill it has a filter so my work piece is being cooled by flowing mineral oil.
Again most of this is overkill.

I got a little mineral oil spray bottle with my tile drill, i'll use that.