Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My 3D renderings + question

Hai peoples of LPF, recently there were some awsome 3D stuff posted, so I decided to pick up the pace on that.

In short, software used : 3D Studio Max 2010

Here's what that looks like :
Rendering.png

Anyhow, here are few of my attempts to make an Aixiz-look-a-like module and a single element plano convex lens. I played around with materials too.
Here's a stainless steel module, brass lens holder, chrome focus ring:

Front:
Aixiz_focusring.jpg

Aixiz_focus_ring_lens.jpg

Diode pocket:
Aixiz_diodepocket.jpg

Now, here's stuff disassembled, showing everything, and changed aixiz to copper:
aixiz_diss.jpg

ARC_lens.jpg

First attempt at lens. Changed it to plano convex like Jayrob has, see:

lens.jpg

Here are three assembled modules combined, also material changed to polished chrome:
Aixiz3D_1.jpg

So, now I need a displacement (bump) map for threadings.
For example this is a map for diamond knurling:
diamondknurl_displacement.jpg

White color determines the elevation of the surface it's applied to.
Could somebody here handy with photoshop make a tile map of threading cuts? I'd appreciate it!
:thanks:

Let me know what you guys think!
Any requests ? :p

I think that's just damned pretty. I mess with renderings for prototype designs sometimes too, I find it helps me to work out construction issues sometimes BEFORE they become an ugly real world problem, lol. That said, my work doesn't look near as sweet as this. Nice!

Thanks guys. I am making a diode model right now so I might finish it today and upload for y'all.

DJNY

Would you say that it is difficult to handle the software?

Nice project +1

Kevlar

That is quite impressive!! I'd love to be able to use those 3-D rendering software. I've tried to self-teach myself on some different free ones available but at least to me, they seem pretty in depth. I guess I'll have to sign up for a class or something.

you should try to get Vray for 3ds max, a nice render program not to sure if they made it compatible with 3ds max 2010.

anyway, nice work:gj:

edit*

just reminded
if you do get vray sign up here http://vray-materials.de/
awesome site with tons of great materials

Last edited:
Would you say that it is difficult to handle the software?

Nice project +1
No I would not say it's difficult, first few baasic options are all that I fogured out so far, look at the results :D It's really easy to use, unlike , example, Blender.

That is quite impressive!! I'd love to be able to use those 3-D rendering software. I've tried to self-teach myself on some different free ones available but at least to me, they seem pretty in depth. I guess I'll have to sign up for a class or something.
One week of hard will, that's all it takes. Don't use free ones, except Blender, it's very powerful but too complicated. I tried to use it. I gave up.

you should try to get Vray for 3ds max, a nice render program not to sure if they made it compatible with 3ds max 2010.

anyway, nice work:gj:
V-Ray rendered for 3DS Max is not free, and unles purchased, it leaves watermarks on your rendered image. I tried it, nothing too impressive.
Mental Ray is the best rendered for 3D S max, quote for person who earns a living with this. Met him only once, it was epic.

Thanks guys. Here's a yellow 580 nm 1W diode for you :
Diode.jpg

I will be fixing up the light soon.

mental ray is verry good to but imo vray makes it easier to get the same results.

and you can get vray free :p

some vray thing i found Dodge Viper SRT-10 by Gennady Kremko - Community for CG Artists
doesnt seem that bad to me, but it is still every ones own taste and preference.
every render program can give the most beautifull renders if its used the right way by the right hands.

ps. what kind of job does your friend do with 3ds max, im interested :)

o and btw if no one is able to help you with the bump map by tomorrow, i might give it a shot.
dont have my PS at home its on my work computer

I appreciate your siggestion about V-ray but thanks, no thanks, I'm gonna stick to what I know how to work with (at least somewhat).

I've seen a lot of stunning CGI. Every time I get amazed :D

Anyhow, here's a yellow diode for all ya guys.
Yellow_diode.jpg

A shineh chromed cylinder is placed in front if it to see how indirect illumination works, I would need to stress it up a bit more, it would seem.

Well, going around this knurling stuff lately:
knurling.jpg

I decided to make knurled focus rings like Jayrob makes.

After spending several hours and loosing hair over it, and few f*ckups...
wtf.jpg

Above: F*ckup

... I finally decided to make a different approach that I would not normally use.

aixizknurled.jpg

For whatever reason, it won't let me apply bump and displacement maps (knurling , threading and stuff), to objects that have been lathed out (made out of two dimensional lines), but rather only to ones that are 3D from start.

So this is what I did:
-made a cylinder the width of focus ring
-made a cylinder the size of hole in the focus ring,
-knurled bigger cylinder now,
-used small cylinder to punch a hole in big cylinder (a.k.a. boolean substraction).

So finally I get something resembling a focus ring:
Aixiz_and_diodes.jpg

One problem solved. Now for more fun stuff.

I have got three renders of yellow laser beam (or golden, whatever), and with different types of smoke or fog:
Aixiz3D_1-1.jpg

yellow_dust.jpg

yellow_smoke.jpg

What do you guys think it's better ?

:gj:

that f*cked up focus adapter thingy looks like abstract art:p
It kind of does actually. :p

I don't even remember what exactly did I do to get it.

I think I was trying out various methods of map application, so instead of "texture" I used "environment" and "shrink wrap" from pull down menu in materials, or if not shrink then it was uhh... something about global world coordinates or something.

I dunno, when I switched back from LPF to 3D S Max I jumped out of my chair :D
"OMG WTF I'm going insane..."

I think that if you could add some pinpoint particles (very sparse) to #3 and give it a star filter effect (like tiny lens flares on the tiny but bright specks), it would look quite cool. The pinpoint particles with a flare effect on them would give it a nice realism touch like airborne dust. I'd also try to either enlarge the smokey patches OR mix in some larger ones (sparse and very diffuse) for a more of a random smoke type effect. It's good, got real potential.

BTW did you notice that the beam intensity drops when in front of a dark object in all three instances? I've seen that effect before, really irks me when it happens to me.