Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Move the "Tutorials, Help & Repairs" section

Should the "Tutorials, Help & Repairs" be moved into the Newcomers section?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mfo

I'm sure many people (including myself) are somewhat tired of repeating ourselves day after day. There is very valuable information here, but I feel it isn't easily accessible to newcomers. I propose that Avery move's the tutorial section into the newcomer section, and organizes it a little better. I would love to give a hand with this, but I don't have the power to do so + Avery does enough already. When ever I join a new forum, I always start at the top and work my way down. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Who's with me?

That's actually not too bad of an idea IMO.. as long as it's not then used as an excuse to treat new members badly. If you don't want to help, don't say anything.

I do feel that the idea needs more work than just moving that section, since we still should have a section devoted entirely to the subject of tutorials, help and repairs, and not just for n00bs.

mfo

That's actually not too bad of an idea IMO.. as long as it's not then used as an excuse to treat new members badly. If you don't want to help, don't say anything.

My intent isn't to treat new members badly. I'll admit my other posts were a bit dickish, but it's frustrating when other people do it, piss off a whole forum and get away with it (multiple times at that) + when people don't even make an attempt to read and educate themselves.

I vote no.

The newcomers section doesn't get nearly as much attention as the general lasers topics.

I myself have the newcomers section disabled. I'm guessing probably other members have it disabled as well and this way that section would become unavalable to us.

Pretty good idea. This way less people who are new to the laser hobby will post threads with questions that have been answered before, considering the tutorial section will be one of the first ones they see. So, less spam will be made.

mfo

I vote no.

The newcomers section doesn't get nearly as much attention as the general lasers topics.

I myself have the newcomers section disabled. I'm guessing probably other members have it disabled as well and this way that section would become unavalable to us.

Because there's nothing of value to us in there anymore. I'm certain if you had a reason to, you'd re-enable it. No one could possible overlook that...

I think it's a good idea too. That way, a lot of info. that newcomers need, would be right where they could see it. rob

Wait... What if somehow the section was COPIED to the Newcomers section?

That way the problem's solved and everybody's happy.

mfo

Wait... What if somehow the section was COPIED to the Newcomers section?

That way the problem's solved and everybody's happy.

I guess that could work, although it would be redundant to have the same info posted twice, + if we post an update then we have to modify two threads instead of one...

I don't think it should be moved. It is very visible as it is, so it wont change anything. And the content is not just for newcomers, it is allot of general info about stuff there that is useful for veterans.

Could we not have a required reading section, for newcomers. Have it set up so they have to read a page or two worth of basic facts and rules, before they can post.
Some how make it so they have to click on a I read this page button. Before they can even post
That way if some one asks a question that was covered in the mandatory read section. then LPF members can have at them for asking a stupid question.

Last edited:

mfo

Could we not have a required reading section, for newcomers. Have it set up so they have to read a page or two worth of basic facts and rules, before they can post.
Some how make it so they have to click on a I read this page button. Before they can even post
That way if some one asks a question that was covered in the mandatory read section. then LPF members can have at them for asking a stupid question.

No one reads those pages which have the required check box. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it". I get where you're coming from, but someone will always get mad when someone haves at them.

mfo

It's wonderful to see that 80 people viewed this thread, only 11 responded and 10 voted. < /sarcasm>

What ever, I tried.

HIMNL9

Just copy some of the links ( the more useful for that purpose ) inside the FAQ or some "read before post" section ..... so you don't need to update both the sections, cause the links in the newcomer one points to the posts in the tutorial one ..... ;)

KiLLrB

As a newcomer myself I think its a great idea. But one thing id like to say to the veterans here please be nice to the new guys when we ask a question. The reason iu said this is because not everyone knows what exactly to search for in the first place :( all i ask is that you guys remember you too were once laser noobs ;)

Last edited: