Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

more lasers hitting airplanes.

Encap

a lot of effort went into this thread..

http://laserpointerforums.com/f37/anyone-owning-pointer-larger-read-90838.html

bump it w/ your feelings(often- we cant get a sticky)
afaik the majority on new LPF members are white late teens or mid 20s males- same profile of the average laser offender... so the thought was --reach out to new members to get them on-board asap and get them to spread the word as well-
many ideas has been posted
bumper stickers
PSAs
Ytube vids
:thanks:

Excellent link--yes --everyone should read it.

All we can do is attempt make LPF members aware of the situation as it strands.

Was a surprise to me that aiming a laser at an aircraft was a crimainal act and if convicted the penalty is up to 5 years in jail and a $250,000 fine, see: USDOJ: US Attorney's Office - Western Pennsylvania. I guess this law was not widely circulatte when passed. So the reports of the recent NYC laser incidents were good, they made me aware of same. I had only been aware of the FAA civil fine of up to $11,000 per incident.

Is important information for LPF members to know.

As I mentioned earlier, if it becomes a toss up for lawmakers and regulators between/over FDA, FAA, Homeland Security, and Dept of Justice concerns, pilot safety, safer air travel, takeoffs, and landings and a small number laser hobbyists and enthusiasts----guess who takes the hit.

Last edited:

Excellent link--yes --everyone should read it.

All we can do is attempt make LPF members aware of the situation as it strands.

Was a surprise to me that aiming a laser at an aircraft was a crimainal act and if convicted the penalty is up to 5 years in jail and a $250,000 fine, see: USDOJ: US Attorney's Office - Western Pennsylvania. I guess this law was not widely circulatte when passed. So the reports of the recent NYC laser incidents were good, they made me aware of same. I had only been aware of the FAA civil fine of up to $11,000 per incident.

Is important information for LPF members to know.

As I mentioned earlier, if it becomes a toss up for lawmakers and regulators between/over FDA, FAA, Homeland Security, and Dept of Justice concerns, pilot safety, safer air travel, takeoffs, and landings and a small number laser hobbyists and enthusiasts----guess who takes the hit.

You've been a member since 2011 and this is the first you've heard it's a federal offense to laser aircraft, where have you been?

Encap

You've been a member since 2011 and this is the first you've heard it's a federal offense to laser aircraft, where have you been?

Federal offense FAA civil fine of $11,000 yes ---but not the criminal law with possible 5 years and $250,000 fine for each count.

Lot of chatter and talk about FDA rules and regualtions and the FAA situation occured when the new FAA law happened in 2011. There are a never ending number of threads about those. The newer criminal law in Feb 2012 has not been as much talked about or promoted as an important thing to be aware of --not even on LPF,. If you do a search just a few referances show up. I think because is is an Aviation specific situation and Law not a generalized laser restriction or regualtion.

So, yes, was new to me, the details of the criminal act law.

Granted is something every laser owner should know --- that is why I was thinking perhaps an FDA label requirement --warning/pointing out that illuminating an aircraft is a serious Federal crime might be a good thing.

I think most people new to lasers when they have a powerful one almost automatically wonder if they can hit an aircraft with it or put a dot on a cloud, enjoy aiming the beam into he night sky---it kind of a natural thing to wonder about.

Is a good thing the laws get some media and LPF attention---maybe same will help.

A report yesterday said there are 11 incidents of lasers being aimed at aircraft every day in USA for whatever reasons--I wonder how many don't know that it is a serious crime----from the statements of people caught, my guess is not many know or knew--were shocked at the amount of serious trouble they were in when caught. Is definately a different day for laser people legally, now. We are not in Kansas anymore.

Last edited:
Federal offense FAA civil fine of $11,000 yes ---but not the criminal law with possible 5 years and $250,000 fine for each count.

Lot of chatter and talk about rules , regualtions, and the FAA situation what the new FAA law happened in 2011.
The criminal law has not been much talked about --not even on LPF if you do a search just a few referances show up. I think because is is an Aviation specific Law not a generalized laser restriction or regualtion. There are a never ending number of threads about those. .

So yes was new to me, the details .

Granted is something every laser owner should know --- that is why I was thinking perhaps an FDA label requirement --warning/pointing out that illuminating an aircraft is a serious Federal crime might be a good thing.

I think most people new to lasers when they have a powerful one almost automatically wonder if they can hit an aircraft with it or put a dot on a cloud, enjoy aiming the beam into he night sky---it kind of a natural thing to wonder about.

Is a good thing the laws get some media and LPF attention---maybe same will help.

A report yesterday said there are 11 incidents of lasers being aimed at aircraft every day in USA for whatever reasons--I wonder how many don't know that it is a serious crime----from the statements of people caught, my guess is not many know or knew--were shocked at the amount of serious trouble they were in when caught. Is definately a different day for laser people legally, now. We are not in Kansas anymore.

I guess the younger generation does not watch the news.

Encap

Yes, I think you are correct. There is that, along with the "do not play with matches" type challenge where people don't think about or believe the risks until "burned" coupled with the lets look at the bright light beam in the sky and dot shined on things anyway regardless of risks, which I call the the cat and dot effect, which is very compelling to both humans and animals too.

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission" plays a part as well, however, in the case of aiming at and illuminating aircraft, forgiveness is not generally an option or easy to come by.

Last edited:

I don't consider myself to be that much older, but come on, can you blame them?

The mainstream news channels are dramatized crap regurgitation services with just a bare sprinkling of actual information.

Not to mention too many subjects they won't touch with a 10 foot pole, and too many others are presented with a clear agenda and extreme bias.

That's right they don't, if it doesn't directly effect them in a way that they see then it's not important.

I don't consider myself to be that much older, but come on, can you blame them?

The mainstream news channels are dramatized crap regurgitation services with just a bare sprinkling of actual information.

Not to mention too many subjects they won't touch with a 10 foot pole, and too many others are presented with a clear agenda and extreme bias.

Damn right, I watch news channels from 7 different countries, very little US, and I listen to radio more than TV. I get plenty that would never be reported on CNN/MSNBC/FOX etc.

Alan

gozert

Remember though, not everyone on this forum from the same country. Of course there are things that are on the news pretty much worldwide, but definitely not everything.

Encap

Remember though, not everyone on this forum from the same country. Of course there are things that are on the news pretty much worldwide, but definitely not everything.

Social priorities are what they are --- everywhere.

Pman

All the main line news channels slowly became entertainment news. They used to pack in actual news in prime time but the US wants entertainment. Follow the $ trail. They pitch whatever sells. Prefer other countries news as they still talk about the US but no mention of celebrity or any other fluff.

Encap

Yes what do you mean? The disgusting state of American media? Or idiots pointing lasers at jetliners? I guess both are disgusting!

Alan

Yes,perhaps that is what she meant. ???

While hopefully not part of the controversy this is a good place to mention once again:

"It is worth mentioning Patrick Murphy's excellent Laser Pointer Safety web site to both new LPF members as well as old members wanting to know more about laser laws in USA and Internationally. See: laserpointersafety The site contains a wealth of information and links on laser statistics, use, safety, rules and regulation, and laws.

Following are a links to a few of the LaserPointerSafety sites pages:

USA laser laws:Laser Pointer Safety - U.S. laws for lasers and pointers

International laser laws: Laser Pointer Safety - International laws about lasers and pointers

Rules for those owning or using lasers in USA: Laser Pointer Safety - Laser rules and regulations for U.S. consumers

Rules for those selling laser pointers in USA:Laser Pointer Safety - Rules and regulations in the U.S. (For those selling laser pointers)"

Im thinking we need to do something as a community to make this a non issue before we are regulated HARD. Outside the box thinking here.. Protective coating on the front glass of airplanes to protect their eyes? Jk lol Its really pathetic how ppl do this even tho they know they are screwing not only us but THEMSELVES! I cant help but wonder the type of ppl these must be to endanger the lives of hundreds of ppl for the FUN of it. It really is DISGUSTING to think about.

Last edited:

Encap

Im thinking we need to do something as a community to make this a non issue before we are regulated HARD. Outside the box thinking here.. Protective coating on the front glass of airplanes to protect their eyes? Jk lol Its really pathetic how ppl do this even tho they know they are screwing not only us but THEMSELVES! I cant help but wonder the type of ppl these must be to endanger the lives of hundreds of ppl for the FUN of it. It really is DISGUSTING to think about.

All we can do individually or as a community is do our best to inform and educate members new and old and visitors about responsible safe use of lasers and the legal aspects of use and ownership of lasers.

Last edited: