Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

more lasers hitting airplanes.

most kids that buy those cheap green from ebay or aliexpress dont give a damn about laws or seeking out forums like this to learn how to use them etc they just wanna be cool shine their new toys at aircraft, people not knowing what harm they may cause.

Last edited:

That's exactly how I expect the overwhelming majority of cases come up.

I know it's not always the case, but you have to figure if someone is spending $100+ on a more expensive laser, hopefully they read about it for a minute or two, and long enough to know not to point at people/cars/planes.

That would be super expensive.

If you consider how much energy is delivered to a single spot that is hit on an airplane cockpit during one of these acts of idiocy, it's probably not much at all. They could just be plastic visors that the pilots could pull down over the windows during taxiing and lasing events made of the same stuff as cheap ebay safety glasses. Just a little $250 feature on a huge jumbo jet

i sorta know what you guys are gonna say about this but i brought my laser to school right (yes, yes that's the part when you say i'm stupid and yes i admit that was stupid) but here it is, i just show off that i have this laser pointer that no one will probs never see again in their life (reason is that i live in australia) and all i really did was shine it on my bag and melt a little bit of the BLACK PLASTIC you know not the whit stuff that will insta blind everyone, but there is always that one idiot that ruins it, thats all like shine it at the plane, then the whole group was like "yeah shine it at the plane" but as a normal human being i didnt shine it at the plane and told them to piss off and stop being stupid and explained that people just like them is the reason that other normal people cant have nice things. sorry for my bad English im not that type of guy that spell cheaks things on the internet sorry guys :scared:

Encap

Could the solution be installing orange laser safety glass on the cockpit?

That would be super expensive.

There are some very interesting and promising solutions to cockpit glare that have been proposed and are now in the process of being tested and evaluated.

Laserpointersafety has very good coverage of anti-laser topics and technologies, worldwide here: Anti-laser protection | Laser Pointer Safety - Statistics, laws, and general laser pointer news

See about nanocomposite coatings here: 2015 Nanocomposite coating study | LaserPointerSafety.com from research done here "Measuring the Effectiveness of Photoresponsive Nanocompsite Coatings o" by Ryan S. Phillips, Hubert K. Bilan et al.
and Canadian Airbus testing anti-laser film here: Canada: UPDATED - Airbus to test windscreen anti-laser film | Laser Pointer Safety - Statistics, laws, and general laser pointer news

NIce overview of protective eyewear designed for pilots here: Laser Pointer Safety - Protective eyewear for pilots
Interesting points on why, as a general solution, laser glasses should not be relied upon by pilots are here: Laser Pointer Safety - FAQ for doubters

Last edited:
If you consider how much energy is delivered to a single spot that is hit on an airplane cockpit during one of these acts of idiocy, it's probably not much at all. They could just be plastic visors that the pilots could pull down over the windows during taxiing and lasing events made of the same stuff as cheap ebay safety glasses. Just a little $250 feature on a huge jumbo jet

Okay, I thought you actually meant laser safety glass. Like the stuff they use in high powered Nd:YAGs. I guess I can see what you meant though, but it would still hinder visibility a bit.

Okay, I thought you actually meant laser safety glass. Like the stuff they use in high powered Nd:YAGs. I guess I can see what you meant though, but it would still hinder visibility a bit.

Oh yeah, that would be insane expensive. Unless someone is deliberately trying to be a supervillan with a YAG laser
42fd7a1f3181e87c1a3c1d0599b05f23d3fbcb0f9d49eebfba2b878beda2cbcb.jpg