Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

modwerx will be closing 10% off everything in store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stayed on the hobby side as much as possible but I can't continue to work for free. I had just got back to the point of trying to build a scanner.. had plans to start selling a complete scanner kit including a baseplate where all u would have to add were the lasers.. Other sites still charge more than I do and u still don't always get the sevice that I give. I have gotten to the point where I only ship 3 times a week now instead of every day like I used to and that's mainly bc its just been so slow. Before I posted this thread I had 1 order since the last time I packed up orders on Tuesday to ship Wednesday.. I really do appreciate the support you guys have given me but with the economy the way it is and especially taxes I can't justify keeping it open much longer.

keep working on your scanner man i have one in progress as well :tinfoil:

what is happeningt. first mohgasm (i think that was first, not sure) and now modwerx. where are we going to get laser parts from now (not trying to be rude).
But anyways, good luck for the future

what if we lose dtr or clif then who is gonna sell us all the sh*t that goes into a laser

Damn sorry to see you go. I too bought the "guts" of my first laser (the 635 pen in my sig) from you. In fact I killed both of them and had to order two more diodes before I finally got it working. Hell I still have a PHR-803 sled somewhere that I got from you that I haven't harvested the diode from yet that served as a backup after my experience with the 635 diode.

Good luck with your scanner and maybe someday those kits will materialize. I know I'd seriously be interested in one. Thanks for being an asset to the community!

I remember the first LOC I bought from modwerx :( Can't believe it's closing but ndrew has no other choice.

Add to that the reality that little Johnny will do a GB "at cost" just to get the parts for one "free" laser and the potential to be able to charge a realistic "profit" virtually disappears

most people dont realize that even "at costs" gb are still money makers.. ive never done a gb and never will bc i dont like the way they operate.. i remember waiting on daedal for several months for the ps3 sleds he was getting.. ended up waiting a long time for kenoms barrels to for several months and he ended up having problems bc of unexpected costs and what not.. i can tell you that a few of the prominent gb runners here are probably making very large lump sums just for collecting money and spending 1 day shipping orders. no one wants to take a loss so everyone that does a gb over charges if only by a few cents or dollars for "just in case".. the thing about it is that 10's to hundreds of orders where all 1 person does is collect money, place an order, and ship a few packages adds up.. from the GB prices ive seen and the prices my suppliers charge some people are making a killing.. people that run GBs make the same profit but dont have any of the overhead of having an actual "shop".. i started doing "pre-orders" with 300$ for the drives the phr-805s used to some in and it turned into the shop i now have.

its still amazing how much the support for modwerx has diminished over the past year or so on the forum granted that i have the reputation of being such a fast shipper and have a good selection to choose from. modwerx hasnt been mentioned in the companies area or reviews area in quite some time.. if my shop had been so good i would have thought that folks would want to help support and promote the shop but i was proven wrong. there is no appreciation any more and everyone want to send their money to china instead of supporting a US distributor. well your all helping destroy our economy. yes i buy from china but all profits are spent in the US and several products i carry are made or come from the US.

the money ive wasted on R&D for products, the time it took to get everything started, the free time it takes away from my schedule and other factors have made me think its just not worth it anymore. my prices were set when i was moving volume which was the only way i made money. i make almost nothing off a 10$ order but if i have 10x 10$ orders i make a few bucks. this just seems like a huge waste of time on my part now days..

most people dont realize that even "at costs" gb are still money makers.. ive never done a gb and never will bc i dont like the way they operate.. i remember waiting on daedal for several months for the ps3 sleds he was getting.. ended up waiting a long time for kenoms barrels to for several months and he ended up having problems bc of unexpected costs and what not.. i can tell you that a few of the prominent gb runners here are probably making very large lump sums just for collecting money and spending 1 day shipping orders. no one wants to take a loss so everyone that does a gb over charges if only by a few cents or dollars for "just in case".. the thing about it is that 10's to hundreds of orders where all 1 person does is collect money, place an order, and ship a few packages adds up.. from the GB prices ive seen and the prices my suppliers charge some people are making a killing.. people that run GBs make the same profit but dont have any of the overhead of having an actual "shop".. i started doing "pre-orders" with 300$ for the drives the phr-805s used to some in and it turned into the shop i now have.

its still amazing how much the support for modwerx has diminished over the past year or so on the forum granted that i have the reputation of being such a fast shipper and have a good selection to choose from. modwerx hasnt been mentioned in the companies area or reviews area in quite some time.. if my shop had been so good i would have thought that folks would want to help support and promote the shop but i was proven wrong. there is no appreciation any more and everyone want to send their money to china instead of supporting a US distributor. well your all helping destroy our economy. yes i buy from china but all profits are spent in the US and several products i carry are made or come from the US.

the money ive wasted on R&D for products, the time it took to get everything started, the free time it takes away from my schedule and other factors have made me think its just not worth it anymore. my prices were set when i was moving volume which was the only way i made money. i make almost nothing off a 10$ order but if i have 10x 10$ orders i make a few bucks. this just seems like a huge waste of time on my part now days..

With the 10% sale you had, not sure how much profit there was to make, but your prices became very competitive overnight and I saw your stock clear pretty fast. With just a 10% price adjustment, sometimes just mere 50 cents or a 1 dollar difference will convince a buyer to purchase from your store.

But I totally understand the time/effort and research it takes to open up a shop. It took just over 3 weeks and $1500 to prep for mine and it failed in days (tho succeeded in winning a several customers). There was lots to learn from for sure. I can see how frustrating it is when people expect your prices to be so low, that it would be pointless and a waste of your time.

Not all of us know that it takes much more time running your own shop than it does going to work or school. Time = money, and spending 5-6 hours a day with your business definitely needs to compensated with monetary benefits or it would be pointless.

there are 10% and 15% coupon codes floating around and have been..

to be honest i think its been a few months since anyone even used a coupon code..

Last edited:

daguin

there are 10% and 15% coupon codes floating around and have been..

to be honest i think its been a few months since anyone even used a coupon code..

OK. Watching him try to school you on running a business was quite entertaining

MANY of the current purchases, that drew down the stock, were like mine.

I don't "need" what I bought, but I am unwilling to let them go to someone who will take them to eBay and sell them for more

Some others were based in "I better get them now. They might not be available later"

Peace,
dave

JLSE

Some others were based in "I better get them now. They might not be available later"

Peace,
dave

That train of thought tends to cost big in the long run. Still got 100 PHR 803's
to show for it :undecided:

Last edited:

daguin

That train of thought tends to cost big in the long run. Still got 100 PHR 803's
to show for it :undecided:

Indeed. It wasn't long ago, I *gave away* a half dozen 6X diodes because I couldn't sell them :(

Peace,
dave

JLSE

Indeed. It wasn't long ago, I *gave away* a half dozen 6X diodes because I couldn't sell them :(

Peace,
dave

I was going to sell them off at a lower price than what I paid, plus they are
extracted and tested.. But in the back of my head I always think of not
having them anymore and finding a good use for them :thinking:

daguin

I was going to sell them off at a lower price than what I paid, plus they are
extracted and tested.. But in the back of my head I always think of not
having them anymore and finding a good use for them :thinking:

Laser Christmas Tree anyone? :tinfoil:

Peace.
dave