Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Miniature scanning galvos

I'm currently planning a laser show that I want to be as small and light as possible. I am looking to get the smallest scanning head and beam combing options available.

So far I'm looking at sightfx's pretty amazing White Fusion sled for the beam combining and the smallest scanning head I can find. I've found a few but most are prohibitively expensive high precision engineering parts. This is one of them: Nutfield XLR8

Does anyone have any other suggestions for small ("cheap") scanning heads?

Things

I'm currently planning a laser show that I want to be as small and light as possible. I am looking to get the smallest scanning head and beam combing options available.

So far I'm looking at sightfx's pretty amazing White Fusion sled for the beam combining and the smallest scanning head I can find. I've found a few but most are prohibitively expensive high precision engineering parts. This is one of them: Nutfield XLR8

Does anyone have any other suggestions for small ("cheap") scanning heads?

Usually the problem with size comes in with the power supplies. The scanner heads themselves are pretty small, but their driver and PSU will take up a lot more space than the scanner block itself.

Dragon Tiger's got some small drivers as well as spacelas. Laserwave.co.uk is selling DTs only know german private contacts selling the spacelas ones.

Stephan

That's quite good, I'd like to see it when it's finished though.
I think it should be able to get a reasonable amount smaller than that build though. There's quite a lot of empty space, plus using the White Fusion RGV laser sled will save a lot of space.

I think it should be able to get a reasonable amount smaller than that build though. There's quite a lot of empty space, plus using the White Fusion RGV laser sled will save a lot of space.

really? what empty space are you looking at???

i would love to see someone make a 1watt projector smaller than mine. then i could copy there idea ;)

diachi

What are you on about?! That's probably one of the smallest/tightest builds in the world! You could make one smaller, but you'd get no where near 1W-2.5W out of it.

You could easily go smaller than Andy's build with the same power output by doing the following:
(1) Combine power supplies. Should be able to reduce the power supply size by using a single power supply. Might be hard to find one off the shelf but it could be done.
(2) Smaller green - that 50mw green is pretty large for it's output. A pointer module anda nice heatsink would take up less space.
(3) Galvos - There are smaller galvo amps than that and some are combined into one board.

Andy has done a great job with the components he has, though. I don't have any suggestions based on what he has other than perhaps making it two layers with the PS and amp units on top, then sliding the green closer to the galvos. It would make the unit taller but would require less floor space. Not sure that buys you anything, though.

Anyway, just throwing out my thoughts.