Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Miloš Custom Blu-Ray 25mW Laser

IgorT

Re: Milos Custom Blu-Ray 25mW Laser

Milos said:
btw, what 405 diode did Chimo use to get 78mW?

It was a "regular" PS3 sled BR, and he didn't push it that far on purpose..

It's just that he used an unusual boost power source for the first, and it worked normaly, while the second had different electrical characteristics, so the current is higher, but unfortunatelly unknown..

Otherwise, there are many cases pointing at the fact, that there must be at least two different diodes in these sleds..

In the first group buy i also got two different ones.. I just hope i'm as lucky this time..

BTW, Miloš, do you perhaps know the ratio between the stronger and the normal ones, since you obviously bought more and also measured them?

P.S. I wonder if "š" displays properly on your computer...

Milos

Thanks for the " š " !! You gotta teach me the shortcut to write it :))

As for diodes, I can tell you many of them are different. In current range I sell lasers 38-42mA they can output as little as 4mW to as much as 20mW. I only had two diodes that output that high, but I never seen one that can do 28mW from PS3 module.

Now, they can take some abuse just before they die either quick(instant) or more often slow (few minutes) death. I run one at 35mW for couple of hours till it died down to 6mW, that was at 70mA. But thats not the way to go because it will burn diode permanently. All you are left with then is a 4mW running at 130mA :p

So that gives you idea how different they are and buying one or two is risky. You might get low performing ones and never see more than few milliwatts of light at safe current level.

hope that helps.

cheers

Kenom

I figured they would help you out. I too am very interested to see the results of my meter. and for that matter his impression of the meter. Needless to say, we will get to the bottom of this one way or another. I've no doubt he has more than one meter and all calibrated dead on.

IgorT

Milos said:
Thanks for the " š "  !! You gotta teach me the shortcut to write it :))

I have no idea about the shortcut.. I have the letter on my keyboard. I'm from Slovenia.

Thanks for the info..

I'm becoming more and more sure, that I had one of these monsters in the previous group buy..

Unfortunatelly, it made me think, this is their normal brightness, and that there is something wrong with them, if they are dim..

So is this the constant state of things with these, or was it like that only at one time?

All you are left with then is a 4mW running at 130mA  :p

That is very close to what i got after killing my first two (ESD).. Two BRs with a current treshold of 150mA, running at 220mA for any brightness at all. You can imagine how hot they get... And the brightness is still low.

I guess i expected too much from them. After the good one died, i pushed the normal one.. And then the fun was over.

Hiya Miloš!

On Macs you just open the "Characters" dialog box*, find the character and click the "Insert" button, but I'm not sure how PCs do it. However, if you just copy your name from here into an .rtf document, you can always cut & paste it back here when you need it. A bit more clumsy, but workable.

I really hope that Justin's meters confirm my reading of your Blu-Ray. And I hope you can still get a good thermopile meter to back up your Lasercheck as well. I've had quite a few requests to sell mine already from YouTubers, who don't seem to realize how precious these are!

And Ken, he does indeed have many meters, Coherent and another brand I'm not familiar with, so it should be really interesting.

Cheers, CC

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 70

windows character map is essentially the same thing

Kenom

Curiously_Coherent said:
 And I hope you can still get a good thermopile meter to back up your Lasercheck as well.  I've had quite a few requests to sell mine already from YouTubers, who don't seem to realize how precious these are!

Cheers, CC

Even more so now that there are no more boards available to make these. When and if he does decide to get a meter he may not be able to get one since the boards are impossible to find. I hope I can find one.

IgorT

Kenom said:
I hope I can find one.

Were you getting yours from the same e-bay seller?

I was worried about the number of those from the start. When i looked for the first time, there were only 36, and by the time roSSco ordered one for me, this was down to 26. People were obviously relying on an unlimited supply. I'm really happy i managed to buy one in time.

BTW, does this mean no more Kenometers?

Kenom

Yup that's exactly what it means.  But you can bet your butt that whoever bought them all will undoubtedly offering them up for us to purchase sometime in the future. Who knows in what form or for how much.

IgorT

That's gonna make many people very sorry, that they missed the chance.

Milos

hehe, you guys rule. Check out my avatar!! [smiley=happy.gif]My username finally looks correct ;D ;D. Thank you both !!!! (btw Igor, I'm from Novi Sad-Serbia, Im happy to see laserists here from former YU)

You two are really teaming up to get me to get this Kenometer gizmo a ?!!! hehe,
JK.
I don't doubt this meter works great and is by far the only additional meter I can afford. I'll be contacting you Ken- if I miss this wave I will be sorry !

Anyhow, I learned more about 405nm from PS3 modules this weekend as I had pleasure working with another 10. I think I will post my findings as wellas some possible tips for you guys on a new thread soon. Just to give you heads up, I have my new DIY 405 running at 95mA and outputing 28mWavg 31mWmax on my meter. Its been running on off for 24hrs now.

cheers

IgorT

Miloš said:
hehe, you guys rule. Check out my avatar!! [smiley=happy.gif]My username finally looks correct  ;D ;D.  Thank you both !!!! (btw Igor, I'm from Novi Sad-Serbia, Im happy to see laserists here from former YU)

Me too. Didn't expect to find anyone here.

I thought, that the reason for the "s" was that the forum, or your OS doesn't display the character correctly. That's why i asked, if you can even see it, or if it's garbled..

About the meter, if you can still get it and want it, maybe you should.

I'm just happy i ordered my thermopile in time (thanks roSSco!).. Before seeing the DIY thread, i never thought i would actually have a proper LPM. Now i can't wait to get it. :)

chimo

For those curious on the current to the little freak 78mW PS3 BR, I posed an update in this thread.

Milos

Looks like you guys were right, and I was wrong along with my meter.

TL from LEForum got his "16mW" unit today and checked power output with lasercheck and it reads 29mW.
So it is very consistent with Kenometer.

I guess final word will come in tomorrow from LaserGlows readings, but I am leaning more towards my Coherent lasercheck's inaccurate sensor for 405nm than ever.

Wow, now I got 8 more units just finished and all overspeced !! Geezz, how much is my freak 30mW outputting then?

I'm only glad its not other way arround and no one got shorted..

eagerly awaiting tomorrow's test reasults..

cheers.

IgorT

Miloš said:
Wow, now I got 8 more units just finished and all overspeced !!  Geezz, how much is my freak 30mW outputting then?

Well, people who bought from you should be very happy then.. You could calculate the correction from this data, figure out how much theirs are really putting out, and tell them.

Your freak could be putting out close to 60mW.. I heard some people got those results. Not to mention Chimo's monster, which actually turned out not to be a monster, once it was fed a normal current..

This is all very weird, and i just hope i get lucky in this group buy again, now that i finally learned how not to kill LDs anymore... :)

Looks like the manufacturer doesn't really care what they put into these sleds, since it's PD (or optical pickup) regulated anyway. Good news for us. Sometimes...

Awesome!  So my 11.6mW might be more like 20!  I knew something was up when I got my wallet smoking with a bit of focus and fresh batteries.

Makes a good laser even better, IMHO.  You're the NOVAlasers of blu-ray.  :D