Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

microwave oven parts projects (HV power supply and magnetron)

Read up more on Jacobs Ladders and a MOT isn't enough Kv to build one.

Hey Coupe.. you were one of the first to push the 8x a bit more than the regulars..

Have you pushed your to 600mw yet?

ive got my 8x at 605mw @ 440mA..

Read up more on Jacobs Ladders and a MOT isn't enough Kv to build one.

MOTs have low volatge but enough current to make a jacobs ladder i made one only with 6kv output from 2 MOTs in resonance @ 1.6 - 1.7 amps , 1 MOT with 2 caps will make a small jacobs ladder , but try and ballast the running MOT with a second MOT for the run time to be longer

one MOT does 2kv out but with 2 caps the resonance output voltage is around 3kv

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Careful with microwaves ..... all those that joke about pointing high power microwaves generators to other peoples, probably have never seen anyone injured or died for an accident with high power microwaves ..... i've seen one, times ago, and, trust me, you DON'T WANT to know how he was looking (at 30 years of distance, i still feel bad each time i think back to it :()

Playing with high power microwaves irresponsably, is not too much different to play with lasers irresponsably ..... with the difference that, with lasers, you can see when you're doing something wrong, where instead with microwaves, you see that you've done something wrong only when you start to feel the effects ..... :p

BTW, ionlaser, if i can suggest you a thing ..... the next time that you run a large arc jacob ladder, i suggest you to not let that gas torch too near to the arcs ..... remember, accidents can always happens ..... ;)

Careful with microwaves ..... all those that joke about pointing high power microwaves generators to other peoples, probably have never seen anyone injured or died for an accident with high power microwaves ..... i've seen one, times ago, and, trust me, you DON'T WANT to know how he was looking (at 30 years of distance, i still feel bad each time i think back to it :()

Playing with high power microwaves irresponsably, is not too much different to play with lasers irresponsably ..... with the difference that, with lasers, you can see when you're doing something wrong, where instead with microwaves, you see that you've done something wrong only when you start to feel the effects ..... :p

BTW, ionlaser, if i can suggest you a thing ..... the next time that you run a large arc jacob ladder, i suggest you to not let that gas torch too near to the arcs ..... remember, accidents can always happens ..... ;)

Ok ...

Hey Coupe.. you were one of the first to push the 8x a bit more than the regulars..

Have you pushed your to 600mw yet?

ive got my 8x at 605mw @ 440mA..

No, I'm still sitting at 508mw at 400ma with my 8x. I'm sure it'll do more but I am chicken. I don't think another 40ma will get me 100mw even if I did try.

Last edited:
MOTs have low volatge but enough current to make a jacobs ladder i made one only with 6kv output from 2 MOTs in resonance @ 1.6 - 1.7 amps , 1 MOT with 2 caps will make a small jacobs ladder , but try and ballast the running MOT with a second MOT for the run time to be longer

one MOT does 2kv out but with 2 caps the resonance output voltage is around 3kv

I have access to many more MOT's and caps as well. I don't know exactly how to hook it all up as you've stated though.Having never really played with HV like jacobs ladders I don't know a small one from a big one. Got any good links/guides for me to read?

Rewind that transformer with a huge secondary (Like 2000 turns)

Pretty sure the secondary already HAS about that many turns.

Careful with microwaves ..... all those that joke about pointing high power microwaves generators to other peoples, probably have never seen anyone injured or died for an accident with high power microwaves ..... i've seen one, times ago, and, trust me, you DON'T WANT to know how he was looking

Killed by the heat, or killed by the high voltage?

about the Jacobs ladder, the higher the voltage the further you can spread the "rabbit ears"

Higher current yields a fatter, beefier arc.

To me a Jacobs ladder with a small gap would be "unimpressive"

One that gradually spreads out to a foot or more and makes a bunch of noise is a bit more spectacular.

+1 To everything. Without proper safety procedure/shielding/knowledge microwaves are a very very bad thing to expose your body to.

HIMNL9

Killed by the heat, or killed by the high voltage?

By the microwaves (internal generated heat ..... practically "half cooked" inside) ..... the only "good" thing, if you want to use this word, was that the head took the highest peak, and the brain is gone in, probably, half second or so ..... almost instant death ..... but the safety system took more than 5 seconds, for cut off the power line, and the emitter was an industrial heating unit (100KW 915MHz), so, imagine the rest .....

Moptsp

God that's terrible. Did you actually witless this "in person" or is this just something you saw? But yeah, your going to get fried inside out... :\

-Moptsp

HIMNL9

@ Moptsp:

No, i not saw it directly (lucky for me), i was working on another machine ..... an idiot of supervisor found the main power of the building turned off, and, without ask why, turned it on again ..... it was off cause we was working on machines (i was helping the tech on the laser cutter, and the other guys from the microwave company was working on the heaters), but he just tough "some stupid left it off" and turned it on ..... i and my workmate had no damage only cause i still had not connected the main cables on the rail (i always do it as the last operation, no matter what they say me to do, but the other squad was working differently)

They was connecting the main systems, and (bad thing to do), turned on all the main units and bypassed all the safety switches for check the continuity of the circuits (i know it's a thing to not do, but, if you know that the main power is disconnected, this is the more quick way for check them) ..... the one that is dead was under the "antenna" cone checking the system, and when the idiot turned on all, the machine started ..... i've seen him only when we hurried there for see what happened (half of the circuits was still flying, so it shorted all and this took down again the main switch, but it was a cabin switch planned for keep overloads, so took almost 5 seconds for disconnect, and in the meantime, bangs and sparks all around)

BTW, the idiot got jailed for involuntary murder, but this is not a consolation, for the one that is dead :(

Two words, SAFETY LOCKOUT. Don't you use them over there? They are absolutely required in USA. It's a device that physically locks power off while maintenance is being performed. That would have saved him.