Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

mercury anyone?

Benm

I've got some laying around here... i suppose its about 2 ounces.

Mercury isnt really that dangerous, people used to play with it with their bear hands until about 10 years ago in science demonstrations and such. If you keep it at home, do so in well sealed container though - breathing the fumes day in day out can't be good for you.

Fluorescent bulbs use mercury in the gas mixture, but the amounts are really tiny - in the order of miligrams in a typical tube... to small to see even if it were a drop at room pressure.

haha so much for those cfls being "environmentally friendly".

Did you even so much as GLANCE at the posts above you?

A drop of mercury so small you can't even see it is going to do a LOT less harm than all the extra coal burned from using a standard lightbulb. Especially since the mercury stays confined in the bulb, and then goes to a landfill which is already designated to be polluted.

-Mark

Benm

It has actually been demonstrated that there is more coal released by burning the required coal for the extra energy for an incandescant then there is in the CFL to begin with.

Both the powerplant and the landfill will release the mercury in the atmosphere though, so if you happen to live next door to the landfill but far from the power plant, cfl's might not be good for you ;)

It won't be too long before lighting will switch to LEDs generally anyway.

I have four little vials of mercury from dead thermostats, fun to mess with and it's all contained so no worries about breathing the fumes (unless you break the vials that is)

Click Image to Enlarge

I have some Mercury stored in glass viles(5ml. each i think), and also a couple of Visene plastic bottles full(15ml.).

Is any one looking to buy some? I have children in my house now, so I'd rather not have it lying around.

Peace Steve

About 10 years ago I cleaned up a spill. My friend was in consruction fixing up a reposessed house. The guy that lived there had warrants for his arrest and fled to the U.S. and left a tonne of crap in this filthy house. A big jar of mercury fell off of a shelf and broke all over a hard wood floor. It went thru the cracks and was even underneath the house in the crawl space. I went down there with a Coke bottle and a plastic spoon and got most of it. Hopefully the rest evaporated. I then used a syringe and separated it into viles usually used for hash oil, and into 2 Visene bottles. Now they're just sitting in my work-room in a box.

I also have an industrial mercury tilt switch capable of handling 600Volts(1inch diameter by 4 inches long) if any one has a use for it.

The stuff is cool to play with, as long as you're in a well ventilated area, and you don't touch it with your skin. Touching it isn't as bad as breathing in whatever fumes it gives off.

Like I said, I'd like to get rid of a bunch of it. So if any one wants some to add to thier eliment collection I'll sell it to you for cheap. I'd really love to trade for some of that Gallium.

I have wanted Gallium since high school when I found out it melts at 30 degreesC. That was like 12 years ago. I just assumed it would be as toxic as Mercury and didn't persue obtaining any. Now I know different and I want Gallium.

If you want a vile of Mercury, I'll sell it for $5 plus shippin costs. Shipping might be $10 Canadian because the stuff is very dense and therefore heavy.

Peace Steve

Mercury

I have about a half of a film container filled with mercury :D

GG You should really find a better container for that stuff. If that film canister ever fell down, the weight alone would make the lid fly off, and you would never be able to really clean it up. When that stuff hits the deck it separates into microscopic balls and spreads. And if it hits carpet you're really screwed. You'll have to rip up your carpet. A pop bottle would be better than a film container.

First off, I wanted to get it out of that house. It causes cancer. Second of all, it's really cool to look at.

Didn't you see Terminator 2 ???