Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

MEGADILDA - DX200 Red on steroids.

Re: MEGADILDA - DX200 Red on steroids. (UPDATED 29

sk8er4514 said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1213668830/20#30 date=1216918363]How come the - input terminal of the Ryan Driver isn't connected to the body? Is it continuos by itself?
ryan driver?? you mean micro driver.[/quote]
Whatever. That still doesn't answer my question -.-

Spyderz20x6 said:
How come the - input terminal of the Ryan Driver isn't connected to the body? Is it continuos by itself?

As long as the diode's negative pin is soldered to the driver and the diode is firmly seated in the casing, it'll be grounded through the metal case. Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the rep btw. :)

RattleHead said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1213668830/20#30 date=1216918363]How come the - input terminal of the Ryan Driver isn't connected to the body? Is it continuos by itself?

As long as the diode's negative pin is soldered to the driver and the diode is firmly seated in the casing, it'll be grounded through the metal case. Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the rep btw. :)
[/quote]
Yep! That's exactly what i meant! :)
Thanks for the explanation!

L

laserguys

styropyro said:
[quote author=laserguys link=1213668830/20#35 date=1217011073]Hey,
has anyone seen these CR2 Li-Ion 800mah batteries???

http://cgi.ebay.ca/8-PK-Rechargeabl...ryZ43447QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are $9.99 with FREE shipping for 8 pieces.
Those are most likely not 800mA, many sellers and manufacturers lie about the true capacity of their batteries.[/quote]

Well I looked at the auction photos and the batteries say 800mAh as well as the listing description
states they are 800mAh. So if they are not 800mAh you can always get your money back if you pay by PayPal.

If many sellers and manufactures lie about the true capacity, maybe DX lies as well ???? ;)

daguin

laserguys said:
If many sellers and manufactures lie about the true capacity, maybe DX lies as well ???? ;)

Remember, DX doesn't MAKE anything. They are a distributer. They just report whatever the manufacturer do to them. If it came in a shipment marked "40 gazillion frreakin meters" They will sell it as a 40 gazillion freakin meter unit.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=laserguys link=1213668830/20#39 date=1217105963]If it came in a shipment marked "40 gazillion frreakin meters"  They will sell it as a 40 gazillion freakin meter unit.

Peace,
dave
lol

L

laserguys

daguin said:
[quote author=laserguys link=1213668830/20#39 date=1217105963]

Remember, DX doesn't MAKE anything. They are a distributer. They just report whatever the manufacturer do to them. If it came in a shipment marked "40 gazillion frreakin meters" They will sell it as a 40 gazillion freakin meter unit.

Peace,
dave
[/quote]

Your right Dave
I stand corrected :-[
DX is NOT the manufacturer of what they sell.

I was just trying to point out that mis-labeling is not
exclusive to eBay.

I'll let you know if the batteries are not as labeled since
I ordered a set of 8 yesterday.

Re: MEGADILDA - DX200 Red on steroids. (UPDATED 26

RattleHead said:
I got my diodes from a member who goes by "TheMonk" via PM not a thread.. I don't know if he has anymore left but you could ask. If not, you can get them from this drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118001

That product link is no longer available,

I'm going to make a "Megadilda" also,
Whats the best LD to harvest? SONY.......LG........20x..........22x?
Should I get one with "Lightscribe" ?
Any answers or help is appriciated!!!

Edit; OK, I used the Search feature (imagine that!) & found this thread
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214892001/0#0
& decided on the LG 22x it's on sale at newegg for $23.xx free shipping!:)

moond0ggie said:
Edit; OK, I used the Search feature (imagine that!) & found this thread
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1214892001/0#0
& decided on the LG 22x it's on sale at newegg for $23.xx free shipping!:)

That one will work fine.

Some tips for ya:
*Its always best to put diodes in a heatsink before soldering them, but this isn't possible with the Dilda. So when soldering the extension pins to the diode, do it quickly.

*The most difficult part is making sure the extended pins don't touch when you mount the diode inside the head and screw in the little brass ring. The hole that the extended diode pins must pass through is pretty tight. For extra security, I wrapped a tiny piece of electrical tape around the positive pin.

*Make sure you use a high temperature epoxy to mount the new driver to the head. I made the mistake of using hot glue the first time which was a disaster. The driver got warm and reheated & melted the glue. Walmart has something called "QuickSteel" in the automotive section. It works pretty well.

*If you're using the acrylic lens that came with the dilda, you'll probably have to make a little spacer to insert between the nose piece and the lens. The reason for this is the long open can diode is a bit shorter than the DX diode, and once mounted the lens will need to screw down a bit further to focus at infinity. I suggest using an AiXiZ glass lens.. It eliminates that problem because its longer, plus its good for an extra 25-30 mW according to my tests.

Good luck with it.

Ive asked Sky to make custom cases for dilda ( they would be simillar to Dragon cases ) they told me that they will look for it.

Re: MEGADILDA - DX200 Red on steroids...

10-4,^^^ thanks for the tips RattleHead!
I'm not sure to use the 3V or 3.6V batteries?

RattleHead said:
[quote author=Glaserfan link=1213668830/12#12 date=1213819425]I bet the "dilda-diode" can be driven at a higher current than the stock driver does.. its probably a closed-can/long die setup.. I bet we could push 250mW out of it ;D

I bet you're right. That did cross my mind when I was taking the dilda apart.. But rather than take a chance on it I decided to go ahead and put in the proven long open can.

Now we just need someone to swap out the stock dilda driver with a Microdriver or Lavadrive and see how much the stock dilda diode can handle. Any takers? thejunkmonger?  ;D[/quote]

I'll be looking to migrate the dilda-diode to another host, connected to a 200mW Microdriver or buy another adjustable one.

Re: MEGADILDA - DX200 Red on steroids...

moond0ggie said:
10-4,^^^ thanks for the tips RattleHead!
I'm not sure to use the 3V or 3.6V batteries?

If you're planning to use the rkcstr microdriver either one of those will work fine.