Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

May have found a alternate unit for 405nm in my rainbow..

From DTR it just becomes a matter of twisting wires together and bingo :beer:

My vote depends on what you're trying to get at. Are you looking for the color, for the power, for the host, for what? Overall your best punch for your money is to build your own (see DTR), if you must you could try laserbtb perhaps? CNI and LG are top notch companies with amazing lasers, but they do carry *premium* prices... not worth what they're asking in my opinion. But hey... it is your money :) just for kicks, my sig rainbow would be maybe 1/26th that length if I had bought everything from LG or CNI :p

Last edited:

You could also build a 500mW 635 for only $150 bucks. Module+host+batteries.

You can do DIY for SO much cheaper. If someone is a true laser enthusiast, they will have at least 1 DIY.

I don't see why someone would spend this much for only 5mW in the Common wavelengths.

But then again, It's his cash.

That isn't entirely true. There are many laser enthusiast that do not own a DIY laser, just because you don't own a DIY dosen't mean you aren't a enthusiast :can:

At these prices its doesn't matter if you break several diodes. To see a beam on 405 you need in upwards of 400mw± depending on your blue cone cells. You would need a crap ton of fog for a 5mw 405 and that would wash out your other beams not only that but if you put a green next to it you would most likely loose sight of the beam in the scatter. Another option would be to have Lazeere "rebuild" a 405 glp into a monster. 5-10mw 473 is pretty bright it lights up my room I would say the beam is 10% as bright as my 532 and the dot is around 50%. I am pretty sure my eyes are sewed towards blue though because I can make out the beam on my overspec 405 pen.

I am pretty sure my eyes are sewed towards blue though because I can make out the beam on my overspec 405 pen.

I'm the same way with mine. It's very faint but definitely there.

And I'm with everyone else not understanding your 5mw collecting... To each his own, but bright visible beams are just the greatest!

I'm the same way with mine. It's very faint but definitely there.

And I'm with everyone else not understanding your 5mw collecting... To each his own, but bright visible beams are just the greatest!

Agreed, nothing better then seeing a nice bright beam at night :wave:

But I just felt like starting this collection so I went ahead and did it :)

Tmack

I felt the same way Alex. Until I built one I was just buying others creations. Now I understand the building obsession. To be able to lase with a unit built with your own hands is a rewarding experience. The unit gas more character and is much more personal than something simply bought. After building my own, it would have to be very special to consider buying someone else's build.
But if company lasers are your thing, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You could have your whole collection in your pocket! Tha Greenlander5mw ;)

Hello guys,

I contacted CNI and nagivated through their site and found they offered a AAA GLP 405nm 5mW unit, I was interested and loved the host so I immediately contacted them via "support chat" and asked for a quotation...

The Price:

Total: $135
Unit itself: $70
Shipping: $65

I thought wow...this is a lot cheaper then the Electra but then I started to wonder, what would happen if I receive a defective unit? I know CNI is "the big boy" for all lasers but I just worried...

In you're opinions...is this better then the Electra from LG?
Why CNI when Ebay sellers have them for incredibly cheap. for example
5mW 532nm Mid Open Purple Ray Laser Pointer Pen Powerful Light Beam Black | eBay

I got two from some seller two years ago for 16$

That isn't entirely true. There are many laser enthusiast that do not own a DIY laser, just because you don't own a DIY dosen't mean you aren't a enthusiast :can:

Yes but building a laser yourself helps you learn about how the components work and what components are used and how everything connects, while just buying a laser is just like buying a completed computer. You plug it in and it works, you have no idea how...

Not saying you are not an enthusiast. Its just that people that do DIY lasers tend to have a deeper understanding of how a laser works.

And more knowledge tends to mean a more rounded enthusiast.

For example, person A only buys his lasers

Person B DIYs and buys lasers.

Both person A and B are enthusiasts. B is just, well, more of an enthusiast...

:beer:
-Matt

for something that's only 5mW and not in a particularly exotic wavelength.... wouldn't there be better choices in brand selection?