Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making your AixiZ driver work. The solution!

rhd

Hey Helios -

Since it's not a boost driver, wouldn't you run into the problem of not actually being able to power anything with it on one li-ion? I guess you could maybe get away with a Red or IR ?

Helios

Hey Helios -

Since it's not a boost driver, wouldn't you run into the problem of not actually being able to power anything with it on one li-ion? I guess you could maybe get away with a Red or IR ?

I only need 100mA and its for a 40mW 635nm. It wouldnt have long runtimes before the voltage dropped two low but I hardly ever run a laser for more than a few minutes.

rhd

Gotcha - I'm presuming 635s and normal reds share a similar voltage requirement?

Do you have this driver already? I've got a few here, and I'd be happy to send one off to you to play around with.

Helios

Gotcha - I'm presuming 635s and normal reds share a similar voltage requirement?

Do you have this driver already? I've got a few here, and I'd be happy to send one off to you to play around with.

Unfortunately I do have 2 of them. I think they are more of a pain than their savings is worth. Id gladly trade both of them along with $12 for a rkcstr driver.

rhd

I hear you -
In the realm of non boost drivers, there are so many options that I just don't see the benefit of these :(

Ok, I think many are missing the main point of the thread. To many ppl had these and they didn't work. So, I found out why and posted the way they did work, the range , including a table of what to expect. Remember, I used a diode from Vcc to the "TTL" so it came "on" @ 3v - .7v(diode drop) = 2.3vdc to "TTL". It may turn "on" lower than 2.3vdc.

Vcc---------Voltage Out () Max Output (1mv = 1ma)
3VDC----------2.9VDC-----------27ma
3.5VDC--------3.1VDC-----------76ma
4.0VDC--------3.3VDC----------144ma
4.5VDC--------3.5VDC----------226ma
5.0VDC--------3.6VDC----------310ma
5.5VDC--------3.6VDC----------400ma
6.0VDC--------3.75VDC---------430ma

Is it a true TTL? No. If it were it would not turn "on" till 4.75vdc and any voltage over 5.25 vdc to the "TTL" should kill it. It doesn't. So, it appears to be driving the Base of a transistor or FET to turn it on and the output increases as the voltage increases.
Since I had Vcc always "dioded" to the "TTL" it may vary by just varying the voltage to "TTL" and having a max of 6vdc on Vcc. On the other hand, you may need to vary Vcc and "TTL" just keeps it on. Surely you can check this for yourself. I had it up to 8.4vdc on Vcc with a diode to the "TTL" so subtract .7vdc and that was putting 7.7vdc to the "TTL" and it did not die, but the output current was maxing at 6vdc. Above that its just converting the rest to heat on the output chip. It can be heat sinked with Arctic Thermal adhesive. Is it a modulated input? Well, I guess you could call it that if you have the pot set to max. Look at the table......3v gives you 27ma out and 6v gives you 430ma. So it will vary with diff voltage inputs.

The voltage out limits it to Reds, IR or a Green(actually IR) as this is abt all that will work at the listed output voltages.

I don't see where it that tough to look up the specs of the diode you are using, compare that to the table, and see if this driver will work for you needs. You can always dial the pot down to limit the max output ma for the input voltage you are using.

Hopefully this more clearly explains questions that have been asked.
It is what it is...a low cost driver for those not wanting to build one with a max of abt 430ma output. It is not a boost driver. You might compare it to a LM317 driver, but you'll need more parts than this costs. The LM317 could have a higher output if you needed it. Running multiple LD's ? What if one failed? Poof go the rest.

My apologies for adding to resurrecting the thread, but questions seem to keep coming up.

Yeah, sorry for necroing, it's a useful thread anyway and people should see it. But yes - I see it won't be able to drive a red LD. All the same, I got some anyway so I can have some easy drivers....

Why can't it drive a red? An LPC-815 @ 3.35v , 450ma will put out 275mw.
Check the diode spec charts on the forum.

Because the max out at 3.3V is 145mA =p

Oh. I meant with a single li-ion.

Thanks for all the help on these- looking like a great driver for lpc-815s.

worthy of a +2

Wolfman29 You can Use it for a LOC with a single Li-Ion I've done it a few times with both 18650s & 10440s. You can use it for the IR pump on a lower powered greenie even.

Mag718

I know this is an old resurrected thread and I have read it twice and am having a hard time following it (maybe I'm too tired), but from what I think I have gathered is that this would be perfect for a LPC-815 running off 2 rechargeable Lithiums.

Here's where I don't quite get it and a yes/no, this is how you do it answer:

If I run a jumper from TTL to Vcc I will be able to power my LPC-815 ?

annnnnnd...

If I do the same thing with a single Li-ion battery and not mess with the pot, it will power the $9 685nm 35mW diode ?

Toke

If I run a jumper from TTL to Vcc I will be able to power my LPC-815 ?
That works for me.
If I do the same thing with a single Li-ion battery and not mess with the pot, it will power the $9 685nm 35mW diode ?
Possibly, but not messing with the pot means not knowing how many mA you are supplying to the diode. :eek:
A bad idea.

Is it just me, or is there an inversely proportional relationship between wavelength of the diode and the Vf of the diode?

Like 2V for 808, 2.8V for 650 or whatever, 4.2 for 445, and 5.2 for 405? Coincidence?

Mag718

Possibly, but not messing with the pot means not knowing how many mA you are supplying to the diode. :eek:
A bad idea.

What I meant by that was that if it remains maxed, then it will only reach the max that can be reached with the given voltage. I do appreciate the warning though !