Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mac vs PC

Do you like Apple products, or Microsoft products?

• Apple Products

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Microsoft Products

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters
With half a million Macs infected, Apple issues second anti-malware patch - Technolog on msnbc.com

Really???? Mac???? MALWARE??????? THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

either that or the idiots who've been claiming that Macs are "immune" to malware ain't quite the geniuses they'd have us think they are..

My money's on the latter lol..

is that the thing where they say its antivirus for mac but really its a virus? some people are just idiots why would you download that if apple says you dont need antivirus software? it makes me sad how stupid some people can be :(

^^^I do believe the hunting season on apple is finally open... :eg:

Fact is mac users were generally left alone, because it doesn't make sense to target them... what with them comprising a relatively small segment of computer users.

Now there is a large pool of very complacent computer users out there to target... ripe for the picking.

Last edited:
is that the thing where they say its antivirus for mac but really its a virus? some people are just idiots why would you download that if apple says you dont need antivirus software? it makes me sad how stupid some people can be :(

Based on what I've read about it, it seems that Flashback was initially spread under the guise that it was a Flash player update. A message would be displayed on the user's screen asking them if they want to apply an update, to which the user responds "yes". After that the malware is free to install itself and start reporting back to it's creators.. Later on, I would assume in order to maintain the malware's effectiveness even after discovery in its initial form, it was changed to mimic a Java update. Geniuine Java updates and Flash updates alert the user via a message dialog, so when you factor the fact that it looks legit in with the fact that most Mac users don't think that Malware can pose a problem on their machines you've got a recipe for disaster as Infinitus pointed out.

Last edited:
Based on what I've read about it, Flashback was initially spread under the guise that it was a Flash player update. A message would be displayed on the user's screen asking them if they want to apply an update, to which the user responds "yes". After that the malware is free to install itself and start reporting back to it's creators.. Later on, I would assume in order to maintain the malware's effectiveness even after discovery in its initial form, it was changed to mimic a Java update. Geniuine Java updates and Flash updates alert the user via a message dialog, so when you factor the fact that it looks legit in with the fact that most Mac users don't think that Malware can pose a problem on their machines you've got a recipe for disaster as Infinitus pointed out.

news to me interesting..thanks for the explanation i have only been using a mac for a week or so. so far i would never use osx as my main os but i like the build of the mac etc

^In all fairness, the Mac is an excellent platform. MacOS is based on UNIX, which is the cream of the OS crop. Very stable, very reliable. The hardware used to be different from PCs, back when Macs were using IBMs Power architecture. PowerPC processors were generally faster than Intel and AMD chips of the same clock speed, being based on the architecture behind some of the most powerful supercomputers on earth at the time. In those days I had a whole lot less of a problem with the fact that they charged top money for their systems. In recent years, however, the only thing that distiguishes a Mac from a PC is the software and the shiny white plastic exterior. Macs now use Intel processing infrastructure just like the majority of PCs do, and they use the exact same chipsets and components as their PC counterparts.

For me, the thing that led me to be "anti-apple" is the combination of the company and it's policies, coupled with the smug attitudes of many zealous "Mac people". The company promoted Macs as being "hip" and "cool" and immune to viruses and malware by nature. The first two are subjective, and the last is a lie. The fanboys followed blindly, spouting the word of Steve Jobs and Apple as if it was the word of God himself.

Last edited:

MadEye

edit: damn, ElektroFreak was faster :/

Noone says there is no malware for mac... As long as there are computers there are malware.

But if some of you may think there is no or almost no malware for Mac because there are not eneugh Macs, you should maybe check out what Unix means. The biggest advantage is that the Admin is not really able to crush the system. He may have all rights for normal usage, but for deeper changes you need the superuser (root), which is normaly disabled if you dont want to make some minor changes in your computer (at least on Mac). This and some other features like the right system in general makes it way harder to make malware for Unix systems like Linux and Mac. So even if the Windows - Mac ratio was 1:1, hacker and cracker would still develop almost only malware for Windows - cause its easier and more time efficient.

Actually this thread should be about Windows, MacOS or Linux, but I guess there are not to many Linux users on this board... I can accept If someone says Mac is for idiots and average consumers... But then please take time to get a linux distiribution going because Windows is only so popular because its the most popular one - Its success is completly run by their monopol, and not because of their supremacy.

Mac costs money.
Linux costs time.
Windows costs nerves...

Last edited:
thats the reason i dont like apple is the whole attitude of the "fanboys" and the company in general. i dont like the company but im on the fence about the product :/

Arayan

...I can accept If someone says Mac is for idiots and average consumers

I disagree, I used Photoshop 2 on a Mac in 1991, while the PC version did not exist. I used Kaleidagarph on a Mac when Excel was only in the minds of the creators :)

MadEye

I disagree, I used Photoshop 2 on a Mac in 1991, while the PC version did not exist. I used Kaleidagarph on a Mac when Excel was only in the minds of the creators :)

Ok, maybe not that hard, but at least it is true that using a Mac is more easy and user-friendly... There are so many things you dont have to think and care about. My parents never got this whole computer thing, even though they tried it - But since they have a mac they become real nerds :D

Last edited:

So apple was first, and innovative. Doesn't change where we're at now, twenty+ years down the road.

Ok, but also the "feelings" have their value ;)

Not so much to me, where technology is concerned.

I LOVED my crackberry. Ate with it, slept with it, once even went swimming with it:p

Now though the OS is too out of date, so I dropped it in favor of android... based on objective data, and having considered the other options.

But since they have a mac they become real nerds :D

No offense to your parents, who are most likely very fine people, but if they earned their "nerd" wings by using a Mac then their nerdiness is a little watered down..

At the end of the day I'm in favor of anything that gets the older generations behind a keyboard and mouse though..

Last edited:
I am currently looking at buying a Mac, my pos Dell is dying and I won't buy another Dell. I have had nothing but problems with it and Windblows Vista. It needs a new mother board, so I figure I am better off getting something different. Just can't decide what to get.

The kids have a Mac and have had it for 4 years and no problems what so ever and they don't have Mac attitude.

Things

Windblows Vista.

Enough said. Ditch that and install XP or Windows 7 and you'll be right.

Also, the "Macs don't have viruses" thing is a load of carp, I've been using Windows 7 for a few years now and haven't had a SINGLE virus. It all depends on the habits of the user. Someone give me a mac and I bet I could get it virus ridden in no time.

Also, the iPhone is at the top of the league in 1 thing ... it's radio. It has one of the best radios out there, thus, gets the best reception on practically every mobile operator, HOWEVER, other phones exist that beat it hands down in other factors. The Galaxy S2 for example, it's screen and camera destroys the iPhone, and the fact it has Android makes it even better. Infact, Google even supports people modifying Android to their own tastes. I use a custom firmware on my phone and it was a breeze to install. Try that on an iPhone.

[/rant] :p