Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lyra Blu-Ray

I am trying to make a lower power 803t laser using a rkcstr driver at ~60mA, but i can't seem to get it to work. The actual driver and module work, as i have just tested it with a 9v battery. The switch works, as i have tested that, and the batteries are both 4v each. I have wired it case positive, to ensure good contact on the battery cap.

I am starting to think that a short must be occurring inside the lyra. Is there anything I should check, and is there a simple way to stop it shorting?

Thanks

No, i soldered the positive input on the rkcstr driver onto the case pin. I read somewhere that what you described won't work with a rkcstr driver

ben74

Oh i used a lava driver. did you solder it like this

(pic from rubberband' tutorial)

Attachments

• step_2jpg_001.jpg
    step_2jpg_001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 74

ben74

Well the only thing i can think of is there's not a good contact between the AixiZ module and the host or cover all the connections with electrical tape as they might be touching the inside of the host.

daguin

robjdixon said:
No, i soldered the positive input on the rkcstr driver onto the case pin. I read somewhere that what you described won't work with a rkcstr driver

Did you also connect the positive pin to the case pin?

If the only positive connection is to the case pin, the crystal itself isn't getting power

Peace,
dave

I connected the + and - pins to the driver, and the + of the input to the driver to the case pin. I didn't solder any of them together.

ben74

ben74 said:
Well the only thing i can think of is there's not a good contact between the AixiZ module and the host or cover all the connections with electrical tape as they might be touching the inside of the host.

Have you tried this ?

Ok, i have worked out that it is a problem of connection between the module and the case, so grounding isnt effective. The only way it lases is if i push the aixiz module onto the case, and manually make the connection. Is there any sort of glue i could use that conducts electricity, or is there a better way?

Thanks

Ok, i have worked out that it is a problem of connection between the module and the case, so grounding isnt effective. The only way it lases is if i push the aixiz module onto the case, and manually make the connection. Is there any sort of glue i could use that conducts electricity, or is there a better way?

Thanks

Tear apart a disposable camera. Inside you will find several strips of VERY thin copper used as a contact strip. This works better than foil, but BEWARE OF THE CAPACITOR, THEY BITE, HARD :eek: :eek: :eek:

I got it working with foil, but it isn't a finished job as the module isn't a good fit. Thanks for the help guys :D

robjdixon said:
I got it working with foil, but it isn't a finished job as the module isn't a good fit. Thanks for the help guys :D

I use Aluminum cans when I have a little extra space.
I cut the cans into strips, wrap it around the module and use that. But you'd have to sand down both sides because they have some kind of coating on the inside and the paint on the outside. If you don't sand it down it will not provide good electrical contact. It is cleaner than foil, easier to press into the host and provides a tighter fit.