Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lumia version 1.0

So Len (hakzaw1) and I met up this morning to talk lasers and check out some of the very cool JetLaser products he has in stock (I especially like the Ti series... that host is great). We had a great time kicked around everything from DIY RGB's to projectors over an awesome fajita lunch.

I was able to pick up one of his new Lumia kits that he has for sale to check out and it is extremely fun. It's basically a motor and mount for glass or bulb that has a very low rotation speed (which makes for really trippy and immersive light projections).

I want to play around with this some more in a larger room than my workshop and do a better job aligning the beams for maximum effect, but in the essence of being eager to try this gem out (and it's raining outside which makes for nice indoor project time), I threw up some beams and plugged her in. I made a beam-key frame here so you can see the base colors... all the other variations like yellows, pinks, and various in-betweens were from light overlap on the wall. I wasn't expecting that when I started, but it makes for some awesome effects. Sorry about the crummy video, but it's cameraphone and handheld (the 405 was also in my other hand hence the jumpiness of that). The video will probably look better if you click through to YT and select the larger and higher quality playback too.

If you are interested in this sorta thing, I highly suggest hitting up hakzaw1 for some pricing. He is a great guy and I'm sure he'll take care of you. (Those JL he has are pretty nice as well if you care to check those out.)

Enjoy!
3wjh.jpg

updated with new video:

Last edited:

Damn that's awesome, gotta pm Len. You can really see a difference between the 520 and 532. +1! :beer:

updated OP with new video... it's pretty clear to me at this point I need to invest in some more small tripods. Heh...

c

Just a Note of agreement on the lumia kit. I picked up one from Len at SELEM this year. Can't beat it for the price and works very well.

Wasn't impressed looking at it, but running it is awesome. It is a 1/3 RPM - 120 ac motor and basically has a dimpled christmas tree style bulb in a mount that attaches loosely to the gear. Plug it in, turn it on and shine a laser through and you're good to go. (Makes complete rotation and repeats pattern once every 3 minutes - 1/3 RPM)

This one rotates along the axis of the gear, not on a glass disc that is 90 degrees to the gear as a flat plate, like most of displazer's do.

I mounted my motor on a small pedestal with a large base so it wouldn't fall over.

I was also thinking that some of the decorative mini liquor bottles might also make cool lumia lenses as they rotate. I have a mini St Germaine bottle and a mini crystal skull that would probably do very well with it. Just an idea.

Hey man, here ya go... sorry for the delay. I've been a little busy IRL. As mentioned in the previous post, it's just a plain little motor with a very slow rotation and a mount for all sorts of glass options. The bulb Len provided works quite well, but inspires me to experiment. These motors are awesome.
Lets see a picture of this device!

gr41.jpg

Msy need to find me one of those motors. Or gear down one I have.

Msy need to find me one of those motors. Or gear down one I have.

If you get a DC version, say 12v or whatever, you usually can run it from a lower DC voltage and drop the rpm speed below what is listed. Just as a possibility for you. Finding very slow RPM motors is difficult and they are usually pricier because of the gearing.

For example my DC version is an 1 or 2 rpm, but with a 1.5v d cell it's about the same speed as this.

Last edited:
Holly laser color show batman! I'm jealous. Wish I could meet up with people and talk lasers... Naw just kidding I'm broke as it is. Maybe someday I'll make it to SALEM.