Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LPF SOCIAL GROUPS-- why are they not used?

8-5-'17 UPDATE SOULTION LPF SOCIAL GROUPS-- why are they not used? NEW IDEA!!

.. there are likley several correct answers to that , but I think i know the biggest problem.
this MAY BE A BIG PART OF THE Social Groups problem[/SIZE]

Failure to go to the 'group tools' and add the group as a subscription thus you get an email when a new things has happened at the group- new pics- new member new discussion ( think thread)

^^^^ that is not quite true MY BAD.
at group tools you get 2 choices
after that scroll down look left and THERE is where you opt for method of notification..
you will never get an email about your group as by default [[you only get a notice via LPF.. better than nothing .. btw if you joined LPF w/an email you rarely look at... that sure aint instantmesgs.

I had not opted for emailing at Jetlasers group till just now.
I will check each of the groups.
.. and you can read w/o going tp LPF/SGs
To see if I was right I placed an offer for free lasers to anyone who was reading this (at a socail group) & out of >100 members only a very few read this and PMed me- doing that again right now(ROG members only)- we shall see-

so - its a catch 22- seems dead coz you did not sub -

& is dead because many members did not sub the group -
updateOR did sub at group tools but did not opt for email notices in another drop menu below left

you have to click to make this happen...not like the emails you get when a post was made in a thread you were following that happens in the forum or you have PMs by default unless you opt-out. (afaik).

I had high hopes that my Texas SG would make planning another TEXLEM easy but I dont think many have subbed it anyway--

so if you are in a group that is dead give thoufght to seeing if (you) subbing & asking others to do same...will help- as it cannot hurt.:shhh:

Last edited:

Jstr

I didn't know about them until you added me 30 min ago. Btw, want to add me to the Texas one, too?

Also, I did see your free laser post and PM'd you ;) lol

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I saw that both of you are from Texas.
I (and I am sure the rest of the members here) hope that you and all your loved ones are safe and not hurt from the bad weather that has been coming your way lately.

I've noticed this as well, I used to be subbed to many groups but left(due to not meeting the criteria after selling some lasers), and noticed not much happened. I think having a system which gave us notifications just like receiving a PM would help keep some of the conversations going inside the groups!

-Alex

I didn't know about them until you added me 30 min ago. Btw, want to add me to the Texas one, too?

Also, I did see your free laser post and PM'd you ;) lol

GREAT! you are among the first five so you get some free stuff(comp. of AixiZ Laser houston) will have in hand when we meet up.
LSLF can be joined w/o an invite - you can find it & all the others in the 'social group' drop down-on home page of LPF

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I saw that both of you are from Texas.
I (and I am sure the rest of the members here) hope that you and all your loved ones are safe and not hurt from the bad weather that has been coming your way lately.

LC thanks so much for that... of all my friends you were the only one to ask. ;-/
when I laid down at 2AM they said it was heading just west of Freeport TX which is about 10 miles EAST from me -thus my area ATM was considered to be hit by the eye of Storm Bill- it slowed down a lot and came ashore far from me - we had lots of rain but little wind etc. power went off for about an hour.

I've noticed this as well, I used to be subbed to many groups but left(due to not meeting the criteria after selling some lasers), and noticed not much happened. I think having a system which gave us notifications just like receiving a PM would help keep some of the conversations going inside the groups!

-Alex

Unless we 'opt-out' we get emails every time we get a new PM or a new post in your threads by default afaik--any threads you have subbed or posted in-

with SGs you must opt-IN to get emails-

Gadget (Dallas) runs our Texas member google map-
but I do not think many have subbed LSLF- so if we want to announce a meeting we must PM each member and we have >100

IF they had subbed that would be taken care of by LPF

hak
TY for reading my thread and posting
mucho grabass!!(native language of Tx)

didnt know I was bi- illiterate didja?

Last edited:
LC thanks so much for that... of all my friends you were the only one to ask. ;-/
when I laid down at 2AM they said it was heading just west of Freeport TX which is about 10 miles EAST from me -thus my area ATM was considered to be hit by the eye of Storm Bill- it slowed down a lot and came ashore far from me - we had lots of rain but little wind etc. power went off for about an hour.

Hak no doubt a few of us thought of you but we all probably thought the same thing, Texas is such a big state the storm won't get him.

That reminds of a CNN report in 1991 gulf war 1 that I will never forget. Most of you weren't born yet, it was a huge war involving more than 30 countries. A reporter on the rooftop of a building in Tel Aviv speaking with CNN Atlanta when there were known to be incoming SCUD missiles was told he and his crew should get out of there and seek shelter, he said: "Oh it's a big world, I don't think the missile is going go get me" and finished his report!

Sorry to get so off topic, I just now remembered that.

mucho grabass!!(native language of Tx)

Spanglish for much thanks, Spanglish originated in Puerto Rico and is also widely spoken in NYC and the island of Saint Croix and elsewhere.

Alan

ARG

I browse the forum through the latest posts section down at the bottom of the main page. Social group posts don't appear down there, so I never think to check them.

I browse the forum through the latest posts section down at the bottom of the main page. Social group posts don't appear down there, so I never think to check them.

AND- if, when joining, you dont add the group as a subscription you will , by default,- get no email about new things at your group- that must be done by you ...using 'group tools'
plz dont bother to join if you dont want to know whats new--

Networking within your state, country or area etc is the only way you will ever have a good LEM that is close(r) & these groups are the perfect tool for this ... if the members will only sub the group.

To learn more about LEMs search SELEM-FLEM CalLEM SoCalLEM- NWLEM TEXLEM-UKLEM-NELEM and Laser Freeks Germany-

most vids at YTube are from the SELEM events (8)

got to attend to REALLY understand what happens at these..

you will want to hold your own- like I did.

hak

Last edited:
OK unless we can get some coop from the members SGs are & will remain a waste of space..
For starters I will no longer ask anyone to join a group--RATHER ask them to SUB the group.. after joining...and show them how easy it can be.
OR>>>>>>>>>> MAYBE the sys can be changed so one must 'opt-out' to NOT get instant nota of a new thing at the group-post pics new member etc.
I made a discussion (think thread but not in open forum) and the title was like-- Free WaterMelon and Pussy-- 'erbody likes one or both I figured..<10 % replied..
derya go..

btw to sub-find 'group tools' and use the menu..

hak

Encap

What ARG said is standard routine.
Did look at social groups a few times --nothing interesting there then