Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for someone to repair my laser

Hi,

About a year ago when i first joined this forum I bought a 150mw red dorcy jr from Kenom, was a very nicely built laser and lasted me about 5 months, one day i turned it on and all i got was a tiny red dot like the ones you get from 1mw laser you buy at the market for £1  :'(
(I assume the LD died)

I took it apart to see if there was anything obvious and being a noob got confused and left it sitting in a drawer for a while thinking it was dead.

I'm now interested in bringing it back to life  :)

Here is what I currently have to play with:
SL272751_640x480.jpg

SL272752_640x480.jpg

SL272753_640x480.jpg

SL272754_640x480.jpg

SL272756_640x480.jpg

I'm looking for somebody who could make this either into a nice little BR or another red like it used to be.

I'd post you what i have at the moment and then pay for the new parts and some ontop for the time to fix it.

I'd prefer people in the UK just because it would make shipping easier but am open to everyone really.

So really what i'm after are some quotes for making this into a BR or red so i can decide which one I will go for.

Hope you understand where i'm coming from, lol

Cheers,
Rich

If you want to fix it yourself & get some experience, you COULD put it back together like Kenom made it in the first place. Just change the diode, & solder the + pin the + solder point on the 'pill', then do the same with the -, add batteries & you're back in business ;)

artix

That laser looks amazing! :eek: Kenom did a great job in making that!

Razako

Just buy a diode from stonetek and replace it yourself :)

How would i go about replacing it?

Taking into account that i'm an electrical noob ;D

Kenom

thanks for the kudo's. The project is pretty simple and if you want to do it right I can walk you through how to do it. Even the bluray. Will involve purchasing a flex drive so that you don't kill any more diodes.

The driver in these is notoriously unstable and it was fine for the LED's that were in there, but usually spelled pretty quick death for those laser diodes.

Kenom

I would indeed. The driver that is in the dorcy is the reason that laser is now dead. It's prone to spike. The driver is a Boost driver and boosts up to 5v off that 3v battery so it's important to go with a driver that isn't going to spike. The flex drive is a perfect choice for this. I've even got it worked out so that all you have to do is screw it on. We'll go over this in a bit more detail as we go.

Kenom

Provided of course that your interested in fixing it yourself. Obviously you've indicated that you dont' feel confident in fixing it yourself. I'd be more than happy to fix it for ya, but as you stated, you'd like someone on your side of the pond to fix it.

I'm really not sure because like i said, I have no previous experience with electrical stuff. Apart from a Design Technology project when i was 12  ;D

How much would you want if I asked you to fix it?

Also if the driver is being replaced aswell would it cost much more to turn it into a BR?

well flex drives cost around $20.....and that sony diode is going to cost you $20.... so you going to end up spending $40 minimum if your wanting the red laser....mine as well just buy this

http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11315

since your not into building them and just have fun playing with them....

Kenom

I won't charge you anything at all to fix it. Charge you for parts and shipping yes. but that's it. If you want a bluray in it, it's going to cost $20 for the bluray diode and $20 for the driver. The existing diode in taht woulda maxed at 200mw. With an open can laser diode I could take you up to 300mw but you'd want to keep it at a short duty cycle.
Ken

Thats awesome.
I think i'd much rather have a blu ray than a red.

I'm not after too much power, just want to be able to see the beam a bit and maybe burn stuff, :D

Cheers :)

I find this an interesting topic, as I have a friend with a dorcy jr red laser that died on him after a short time. Kenom, would you be willing to post up the instructions for putting a lava drive and new diode in the dorcy jr host? I have a dorcy jr host also and now im worried that the driver is gonna kill it so I would like to change mine out, and also build a blu ray laser in another one. The dorcy jr is a really cool host and im sure other people would like those instructions also. Thanks