Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for (cheap) Bench Power Supply

Hello, I purchased one of these LINEAR bench power supplies for my office:

0-18 Volt, 0-3 Amp VARIABLE BENCHTOP POWER SUPPLY 9600 PS

Great deal for only $60 and it's perfect for testing laser diodes. The only problem is that now I would like to get one for myself and they are out of stock. I called where I purchased the first one from and they said this same model will not be in for several months. From what I have seen on this forum, this seems like a very common model. I searched and could not find one at about this same price.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap linear bench power supply (not switching) for around $60-$75 dollars. If at all possible, I want to get this same (type) of model. Thanks in advance!

- Paul

Attachments

• 9600.jpg
    9600.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 420

Oh, one more thing. It has to be local here in the USA because all the cheap $70-$80 power supplies I found on eBay have a $70 shipping charge from China! Do not want to pay $140 for a $70 unit ;)

As I see you're from Florida, you can try in the next link , maybe the shipment will not be too expensive.

Power Supplies, Bench Supplies

Also if you have the transformer, which is usually the most expensive item, can make your own.

I can pass you some schematic.

As I see you're from Florida, you can try in the next link, maybe the shipment will not be too expensive.

Sorry, but that link goes to the same exact same item I want (from MPJA's sister website) and they are out of stock of the 9600 PS as well.

Thanks DTR! That is the exact 18V 3A model I was looking to purchase - DONE DEAL!

You guys are the best!

Just ordered one :)

Last edited:
Lol, I had not checked your link, without seeing that it was the same company.

Yes, DTR has found a super deal, and with free shipping.

when looking for bench power supplies, what does linear offer that is more preferable to switching? Do they have a much stabler output or something so that we can hook up our precious diodes directly to them?

DTR

Oh. Just saw this one. This is what I need. 19A.:gun:

Been looking for one that can run my LED's.:D

Power Supplies, Bench Supplies, 0-30V, 19A VARIABLE BENCHTOP POWER SUPPLY, 9950 PS

EDIT or this one. $204 shipped for a 10A.

DC Power Supply - Linear Power Supply - Mastech REGULATED VARIABLE DC POWER SUPPLY HY3010D 30V 10A New Model (Powered by CubeCart)

Had to give some fake register info to get shipping. That aggravates me to no end.:mad:
mastechpowersupplybestd.png

Last edited:
when looking for bench power supplies, what does linear offer that is more preferable to switching? Do they have a much stabler output or something so that we can hook up our precious diodes directly to them?

That'd be my guess, but I'd like to know as well.

If a switching power supply is rated at 30 volts and you need only 3 volts, it's output switches on/off very fast (but at 30 volts each time) to provide the reduced voltage.

That's what was explained to me, not very good for sensitive laser diodes...

Did you :

Call 800-652-6733 for availability date

?

YES - They just put the order in and it is a FIVE MONTH wait until the 9600-PS comes back into stock!

The only difference between the one I ordered from eBay and theirs is that they have their logo on the case.

Last edited:
hey paul, google electronics swapmeets in your area. i know here where i live there is one within 30miles of me every weekend.

michael.

I just got this 6 amp Mastech HY3006D today for $80 cash. Seller was on e-bay, but only 10 miles away from my son's house in Illinois. They gave me a free set of leads too:) I asked if I could pick it up and save the $14.95 shipping and seller said sure. I was looking at the 5 amp model they had listed for $79.95 that he offered me for $70 over the phone. When I got there he has pallets of them and every Mastech model in stock. They tested unit before I left with it. I'm happy.

IMG_2989.jpg

This is what I have used and it works great. Also this is the 5A version. You can get a little cheaper 3A version which I started out with but found I really needed the extra head room of the 5A. I have also used these to direct drive diodes without ever having any issues.;)

MASTECH HY1505D LINEAR DC POWER SUPPLY 0-15 V @ 0-5 A | eBay

Here is the 3A modle

New Mastech 18V 3A Adjustable Variable DC Power Supply | eBay

Thats the seller I got mine from today.....thats a typo in his ad. It's the one i called him about and it is 5.0 Amp. I ended up with the 6 amp for the same price, no tax or shipping and a set of leads. This seller has the whole Mastech line in stock and his wife tests each unit before it ships!:) I just looked and he has corrected his ad. Flamingpyro told me to ask the seller when I was looking as it stated 5.0 on the Header and then stated 3.0 farther down in the description.

Nice seller!

Last edited: