Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

looking for a high quality laser my first

I like lasers ive been messing around with the cheapies i bought some bulk cheapies and sold localy saved up enough for a real one si would idealy want.
i live US

my first i dont wanna spend over $150 each

1. 650nm 800mw or more quality laser

2. 532nm same

3. 445nm same

im tech savey so im open to kits also with instructions of course

any advice for a newbie

thanks in advanced:eek::eek:

Last edited:

Radim

I like lasers ive been messing around with the cheapies i bought some bulk cheapies and sold localy saved up enough for a real one si would idealy want.

2. 532nm same

3. 445nm same

any advice for a newbie

I assume you are talking about the portables. So, check the forum search. For advice from members I assume you need to specify your request more - what do you mean by high quality? Just the host or beam specs as well? How much you would like to spend? What country are you based in? Some of certain classes cannot be imported or are restricted (e.g. USA, Australia, UK, Switzerland etc...). Also do you prefer just constant on or momentary button? Or modes like flashing, variable power?

Regarding the wavelength - choose wisely as it is very important factor. It depends on for what you wish to use your laser. Do you want the most visible beam at day (green would be the best)? Do you want the best burning capabilities (probably blue - e.g. 445 nm)? Do you want wavelenght which is not that much scattered by air (red)? Do you want to do fluorescence experiments (blue or purple - 405 nm)? Study the forum.

BTW: I have a amazing experience with Dragon Lasers, they are not really cheap, but my my 589 nm is the nicest beam and host in my collection. However it lacks additional safety features like interlock etc. If beam specs are not really important to you there are many cheaper with high quality hosts. And for high power you can probably get cheaper 520 nm diode laser instead of 532 nm, but the beam specs are not as good. DPSS lasers at this power levels are quite expensive.

Last edited:

Radim

i live US

2. 532nm same

3. 445nm same

any advice for a newbie

Well, I noticed you edited your post as well as I did. :D

As you are from US I'm not sure I could help you with suggestion as a lot of companies (and all I have experience with) do not deliver there and if they do, you can get trouble with customs.

But you can get a kit or IMO the best would be to ask some member based in US for custom build as you have limited offer for portables due to law and limited budget. Check the forum search and try get in touch.

Regarding your budget and option 2 - I would suggest you 520 nm for higher power, but it will be probably multimode and worse beam specs. 532 nm in this price range would be with much lower power, but better beam specs.

diachi

You're not going to get a quality 532nm at >800mW for that price FYI. You'd be looking at more like $600-700. 520 is somewhat cheaper as mentioned above, but there are disadvantages (And advantages too to be fair...). You still won't get that sort of power at 520nm for $150.

Also, if you're in the US and selling laser pointers that are >5mW you have been breaking the law...

Last edited:

Razako

i live US

2. 532nm same

3. 445nm same

any advice for a newbie

Hi, I can probably help you out with this. I'm recommending the highest quality lasers you can get of each type for the least money. Don't worry about customs or anything like that. I've ordered probably 20+ lasers from China and never had a single one confiscated.

https://www.sanwulasers.org/product/spikersaber
1600mw 445nm sanwu spiker for $150/

1W 635NM red for $160. You won't find a 650nm red in your required output and price range. Jetlasers sells a 1W 650nm for like $289 or something

You unfortunately will not find a 532nm of that power at your price range. 800mw of 532nm will cost you around $600-$700. 1W of 520nm can be had here for $380. That's the best deal I can find.

Last edited:

Radim

Hi, I can probably help you out with this. I'm recommending the highest quality lasers you can get of each type for the least money. Don't worry about customs or anything like that. I've ordered probably 20+ lasers from China and never had a single one confiscated.

1600mw 445nm sanwu spiker for $150/

1W 635NM red for $160. You won't find a 650nm red in your required output and price range. Jetlasers sells a 1W 650nm for like $289 or something

You unfortunately will not find a 532nm of that power at your price range. 800mw of 532nm will cost you around $600-$700. 1W of 520nm can be had here for $380. That's the best deal I can find.

Yep, Sanwu looks great. I was thinking about recommending this company, but I have no experience with them yet.

I have four sanwu lasers, my favorites in my collection.

Is selling lasers >5mw in the US breaking the law or is it only illegal if you advertise as a pointer? Obviously no laser above 5mw should be used for pointing purposes lol.

I have four sanwu lasers, my favorites in my collection.

Is selling lasers >5mw in the US breaking the law or is it only illegal if you advertise as a pointer? Obviously no laser above 5mw should be used for pointing purposes lol.

IIRC selling anything >5mW output advertised as a laser pointer is against the law. I'm think that's where the term "portable laser" came from but other than that, labbies, modules etc shouldn't be illegal at all.

IIRC selling anything >5mW output advertised as a laser pointer is against the law. I'm think that's where the term "portable laser" came from but other than that, labbies, modules etc shouldn't be illegal at all.
But selling them as handhelds is fine? Just not for pointing purposes?

Last edited:

diachi

But selling them as handhelds is fine? Just not for pointing purposes?

Ehhh, it's iffy... Depends how you want to interpret the meaning of the regulations... Enforcement is at the discretion of the FDA.

From the FDA website:

Yes. Laser products promoted for pointing and demonstration purposes are limited to hazard Class IIIa by FDA regulation.

Last edited:

Radim

Ehhh, it's iffy... Depends how you want to interpret the meaning of the regulations... Enforcement is at the discretion of the FDA.

AFAIK they have to have some safety features required by FDA (interlock etc.) to be approved.

diachi

AFAIK they have to have some safety features required by FDA (interlock etc.) to be approved.

Yes ... but it also depends on how you sell/advertise them etc.

Lasers that emit between 5mW and 500mW output power are in Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B. Class IIIb lasers cannot legally be promoted as laser pointers or demonstration laser products. Product labels and user instructions must describe the hazard classification of the product and its output characteristics.

Class IIIb hand-held lasers are too dangerous for use as pointers or amusement articles. Furthermore, promotion of Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B products for pointing or amusement violates FDA requirements and United States law. Manufacturers of such products may be required to repair, replace, or refund the purchase price of violative products distributed in the U.S. These products are also subject to detention and seizure by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when imported.

Even if you have all of the safety features, the chances of them actually approving your product and letting you sell it are likely slim. Some sellers here have even had issues selling parts/unfinished lasers.

Radim

Yes ... but it also depends on how you sell/advertise them etc.

Even if you have all of the safety features, the chances of them actually approving your product and letting you sell it are likely slim. Some sellers here have even had issues selling parts/unfinished lasers.

Yes, thats what I've read on various places.
BTW: I personally don't like to call anything above 5 mW as a pointer - portable or handheld laser is appropriate.