Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Look what I've got stashed in my humidor.....

I couldn't resist these gorgeous hosts from Rich, which I've bought over time as they became available.
Initially he made the two small Vape hosts for me specifically in those colours as I planned to put a 405nm in the purple one and a 490nm in the turquoise.

Then, when the large blue host (1x 18650) came up for sale I bought it for a second 490nm module I have had stashed away.
Recently the long green host (2 x 18650) was for sale so I'm thinking of putting an NDG7475 in that one.

Should be able to light the cigars with either the 405nm or the 520nm, that way they'll have a dual purpose .... :crackup:
Mind you, I haven't smoked a cigar in years but hey, they smell lovely just sitting in the humidor.

IMG_6396.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

Mind you, the hosts might have to sit in the humidor and age for a while, till I get around to completing them.
I still have a coupe of badboybilly's units to review first. :whistle:

RB

Nice... Hope they age well.
Some of your cigars seem to be shrinking
or growing...:crackup:

Jerry

Wow, look at all of those nice cigars! Well, kidding about that, but they are. To get to the real reason I'm responding, those hosts look great, far nicer than I thought they were, I knew they were nice, but in this photo I can see how first class they really are.

Hi RB,
Nice touch great way to stash the hosts out of humidity,.. Cant wait to see them fired up,

Still up for sale Keyed white 1x14550 ..

Rich:)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_7d8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_7d8.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Interesting place to put lasers, Andrew. Do you keep them there, or just put them there for the photo? Not a huge cigar fan myself. Never could get used to the taste. Even expensive ones were too much. Anyway, thanks for sharing them.

badscr

Sweet hosts, that 490nm Anodizing is smokin.

I too like the smell of cigars.

Last edited:

Benm

Should be able to light the cigars with either the 405nm or the 520nm, that way they'll have a dual purpose .... :crackup:

Oh yeah, this is doable, wearing goggles obviously and making sure the beam doesn't hit your nose or something stupid like that. I sometimes light a cigarette with a laser as demo - it takes about a watt of blue to reliably do that.

For cigars a laser would be the ultimate tool to light them up as it cannot possibly produce any nasty taste like matches do. No more messing around with cedar splints, just laser-light them!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Some nice looking hosts, RB!
I've heard that they age rather well, so that when you finally get around to building with them, they'll be superb! :beer:

PS - If you can't find anything to put in that green host, I'll help you make room in your humidor for more cigars! ;) ;) :crackup:

Nice... Hope they age well.
Some of your cigars seem to be shrinking
or growing...:crackup:

Jerry
hehehe Jerry, yeah, different sizes for different occasions... :crackup:

Wow, look at all of those nice cigars! Well, kidding about that, but they are. To get to the real reason I'm responding, those hosts look great, far nicer than I thought they were, I knew they were nice, but in this photo I can see how first class they really are.

Chris these hosts look even better in real life.
The Cigars, well, I love them too, even if I don't smoke them anymore.

Nice looking hosts! Nice looking cigars too. :D

There's just an elegance to a Cigar that I just love to diachi. :beer:
And Rich does a great job on the hosts.

now thats cool RB :beer:

Cheers Richie.

Love that 490 colored host.

I can't wait to put that diode in and turn it on, the colour is amazing on both the host and diode.

Interesting place to put lasers, Andrew. Do you keep them there, or just put them there for the photo? Not a huge cigar fan myself. Never could get used to the taste. Even expensive ones were too much. Anyway, thanks for sharing them.

Nah, Paul, I put them in the humidor just for the photo, I thought I'd try something different.
Agreed, not everyone likes the taste/smell but I've always loved the smell.
My dad used to smoke cigarettes and I hate them, I've never had a cigarette, but cigars (good quality Cuban) well, I absolutely love them.

Sweet hosts, that 490nm Anodizing is smokin.

I too like the smell of cigars.
:beer:

If I had the money I'd be snatching up some of Richs hosts too! Absolutely beautiful!

Rich does top quality work.

Oh yeah, this is doable, wearing goggles obviously and making sure the beam doesn't hit your nose or something stupid like that. I sometimes light a cigarette with a laser as demo - it takes about a watt of blue to reliably do that.

For cigars a laser would be the ultimate tool to light them up as it cannot possibly produce any nasty taste like matches do. No more messing around with cedar splints, just laser-light them!
Ben, I agree about the residue, I always use a jet lighter to heat the cigar to light it.
I was taught by an expert all about how to light and how to store them.
As for using the laser to light it, well, I was just being facetious, it's way too dangerous to use it to light a cigar.
I wouldn't even try it with goggles on.

:D

Some nice looking hosts, RB!
I've heard that they age rather well, so that when you finally get around to building with them, they'll be superb! :beer:

PS - If you can't find anything to put in that green host, I'll help you make room in your humidor for more cigars! ;) ;) :crackup:
:crackup: Thanks Jeff.

RB

Benm

I don't think it's overly dangerous to light a cigarette or cigar using a laser really, as long as you are a bit smart about it. Apart from making sure you have good googles that can sustain a long hit without burning through and the laser steadily mounted and shining onto a beamstop, i don't see what the risk would be.

Obviously just taking the laser in your hand, cigar in your mouth and light it, even wearing goggles, is safe: who knows where that beam goes when you miss the cigar... perhaps the drapes will be on fire, perhaps you'll blind a friend or something similar.

I don't see Andrew using a laser like a cigarette lighter. That would indeed be foolish. I have looked down the beam of a stabilized laser many times. As long as you go toward the beam, it is not that difficult to do.

Very nice! Hope to see beam shots soon!

Can I ask how those little vape hosts work?