Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lava Micro FlexDrive Driver (lavadrive2) fits pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
A microboost is better for the 12x builds. Flaminpyro has some in stock. Send him a PM.

I will do that. I was planning on getting a microboost already but couldn't find anyone that had them.

buy as many as you need because I might have to buy 200+.

Wow... I was planning on jumping on them as soon as he had them back in stock. Now I will be sure to. What does your prototype entail?

You think that's bad.
I have the materials to build a prototype, like you apart from a driver.
When/if the flexmod comes back into supply I have already had offers for my "idea's product" for at least 25 units regardless of price or proven effectiveness.
Chances are; If these come back into circulation, buy as many as you need because I might have to buy 200+.
Another option is if anyone has a useful idea for a driver with similar properties (like 12v+ input and the style that doesn't "burn off" excess voltage).
My application needs to be as efficient as possible, constant ON, only ~500mW (more COULD be useful but not demanded).
There would be a "finders' fee" for such ;)

Why would you ever buy over 200? That would be extremely selfish and would only diminish the supply for everyone else.

Why would you ever buy over 200? That would be extremely selfish and would only diminish the supply for everyone else.

The fact that I might NEED over 200 is selfish? You sir have curious notions.
Aside from that, most people on this forum need flexdrives and microboosts, not flexmod p3s.
I don't think maintaining an adequate stock is out of the question for lava, some day soon someone will make a driver that might not even be quite as good as his and his previous practices may come back to haunt him.
I'm sure he puts hundreds of drivers out the door every few months, if you were running a business and knew you would be selling out your remaining stock in a month or two, you would probably stock up eh? I would.
I've heard that he is in school (university) and he is busy on the projector forum but if you can't deal with the market... You get a retailer to tack on a few bucks and take all the hassle off your back.

*edit* My project is in essence, a glorified unmanned signaling device.

The fact that I might NEED over 200 is selfish? You sir have curious notions.
Aside from that, most people on this forum need flexdrives and microboosts, not flexmod p3s.
I don't think maintaining an adequate stock is out of the question for lava, some day soon someone will make a driver that might not even be quite as good as his and his previous practices may come back to haunt him.
I'm sure he puts hundreds of drivers out the door every few months, if you were running a business and knew you would be selling out your remaining stock in a month or two, you would probably stock up eh? I would.
I've heard that he is in school (university) and he is busy on the projector forum but if you can't deal with the market... You get a retailer to tack on a few bucks and take all the hassle off your back.

*edit* My project is in essence, a glorified unmanned signaling device.

I should have been more concise. If you need so many drivers, it would be much cheaper to design and build them yourself, and would not deplete the stock for everyone else. There are many people on photonlexicon and laserfreak (no connection) craving some flexmods.

I am sure an alternative driver could be found for your application if you give more details about the requirements, such as do you need analog modulation, do you need an interlock, do you need a startup delay, etc.

Nope, my needs are truly primitive.
I need maximum efficiency at 11-14V (this will be powered by a sealed lead acid battery and recharged with a solar panel + charge controller)
Needs to be able to work from -40*C up to +30*C
Powering a 445 diode, you know the one ;)
Constant duty cycle at 500mA output, additional output to 1A might be handy in some cases.
This will essentially be a lab style laser in a sealed container out in a remote location.
I don't know if there is anything else to keep in mind... Heatsinking won't be an issue but I need efficiency most of all so a DDL driver is out.
I don't have a lot of experience with electronics either but I'm willing to learn ;)

Well, I read every word, understood most of them individually but only comprehend a few of the concepts :na:
Maybe I should clarify:
I started my training in electronics by building the ultra simplistic DDL driver. I am only just beginning to scratch the surface on induction and have only a general working knowledge of how a FET does the nifty things it does.
I'll keep at it though.
+1 for the help bro, thanks!

Well, I read every word, understood most of them individually but only comprehend a few of the concepts :na:
Maybe I should clarify:
I started my training in electronics by building the ultra simplistic DDL driver. I am only just beginning to scratch the surface on induction and have only a general working knowledge of how a FET does the nifty things it does.
I'll keep at it though.
+1 for the help bro, thanks!

Make a thread here or on photonlexicon and I am sure many other members would be glad to help.

Will do, I'm throwing some numbers into the equations right now to see if I can get a better grasp on how to go about making what I need.
I figure learning most of this stuff is just beating your head against it until the info eventually makes it through.
Thanks for your help, I'm truly grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.