Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lava Micro FlexDrive Driver (lavadrive2) fits pens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lava Micro FlexDrive Driver (lavadrive2) fits

I just learned that today on another thread. It's called an APC IC (Auto Power Control). Examples and datasheets can be found at www.roithner-laser.at, check e.g. under Laser Modules -> Red laser modules. There are even some with built-in collimating lens.

drlava

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!  Yep, follow the 'rule of thumb' on current/voltage conversion and you will be fine.  There is a little headroom built into it.  
The reason the 5-pin chip must be heatsunk in some cases when the driver gets hot isn't because that chip is dissipating a lot of heat, it's because when it gets hot (60C +) , it drifts and so your current setting will drift slightly higher.  In most cases the driver won't get hot at all, but for the situations that it does, keep the 5-pin chip on the back cool with a heatsink and you'll be fine.

The size of this version is such that it's on the edge of what hobbyists can reliably solder to, so Right now it doesn't look likely that I'll try to shrink it more.  Based on some solder-damaged units I've seen, here are a few pointers:

Don't:
1) when soldering to the bottom, don't slip and swipe off the tiny cap on the diode side!
2) when soldering on the top diode side -, make sure you don't make a solder bridge from the diode -  to the top of the capacitor just behind it, this will cause a short and will probably break your driver.
3) use the wrong screwdriver for tuning current. You should not have to push down hardly at all.  The tiny pot has a ceramic base that will crack if you do!

Do:
1) Use a sub-millimeter tip soldering pencil.
2) Use flux-core solder. I have seen solder applications that look like they were working with  clay.
3) Use the right soldering temperature.  500F for lead, 550 for Silver based seems to work for me.  Of course, lead solder just flows,wets, and works better.
4) Have a de-solding braid handy with a tin of flux to wet it with.
5) inspect your work when you are done, before applying power.  Look for solder bridges, missing parts, reversed polarity.

Follow these and you should be fine!

After I'm done I have a really good magnifying glass thats perfect over my eye so I close one and go REALLY close and see if everything is ok and if it is... Let her RIP!

drlava said:
[highlight]The reason the 5-pin chip must be heatsunk in some cases when the driver gets hot isn't because that chip is dissipating a lot of heat, it's because when it gets hot (60C +) , it drifts and so your current setting will drift slightly higher.  In most cases the driver won't get hot at all, but for the situations that it does, keep the 5-pin chip on the back cool with a heatsink and you'll be fine.[/highlight]
I was wondering about this :D as I had it running at 1.2A and it didn't change in temp whatsoever. My test load, on the other hand, nearly fried lol :p I also noticed with my c-mount, since the current goes straight into the heatsink, it gets extremely hot fairly quick. However the diode stays cool :-/ but that current is definitely a problem. :eek:

Lol

Arrived today, and wow, this thing is small. Very satisfied with the product. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Looking at the purchase page it says 12x12mm and trim to 10x12mm...but on the PDF it says its 9x12 and so does the bottom of your OP. Says 9x12mm trim to 10x12mm??? How can you trim from 9x12mm to 10x12mm :-?

To put it bluntly, I am confused. If I bought one of these what size would it be when I got it without doing any trimming?

I know people have asked this before but is there a way to pay you through Paypal from your site or do we just have to PM you about it? I would like to pay with paypal please. Thanks

daguin

leukoplast said:
Looking at the purchase page it says 12x12mm and trim to 10x12mm...but on the PDF it says its 9x12 and so does the bottom of your OP.  Says 9x12mm trim to 10x12mm???  How can you trim from 9x12mm to 10x12mm  :-?

To put it bluntly, I am confused.  If I bought one of these what size would it be when I got it without doing any trimming?

The larger measurements are of the last version of the driver. They are 9x12mm now.

Peace,
dave

yobresal said:
I know people have asked this before but is there a way to pay you through Paypal from your site or do we just have to PM you about it? I would like to pay with paypal please. Thanks
PM him and he'll tell you his paypal :p

Krutz

paypal is no problem, you will have to add a small amount for his extra paypal-fees though.
they are 9x12mm, yes. you may carefully file it to 11x8.5 or 11x8mm, judging from a quick look. no guarantee of course, and i dont see much use for that, since they fit the aixiz housing in 12x9mm already! :)

manuel

I guess I will just pay with google checkout then.

drlava

leukoplast said:
Looking at the purchase page it says 12x12mm and trim to 10x12mm...but on the PDF it says its 9x12 and so does the bottom of your OP.  Says 9x12mm trim to 10x12mm???  How can you trim from 9x12mm to 10x12mm  :-?

To put it bluntly, I am confused.  If I bought one of these what size would it be when I got it without doing any trimming?

Oh, thanks for the heads up. As stated it's 9x12 I'll fix those other references.
And responding to PMs now...

drlava

If there is demand I could have more V3 made.  A couple people have had trouble with the size of the V4.

You definitely don't want to short the pads where the resistor was together..  for the next range up you want to short the one resistor pad with the one next to it, like the diagram shows.

It sounds like you learned what to do on the final one.  Maybe you can help others and tell them what you did that was problematic for the first one?

edit: hmm it looks like the post I was replying to was removed...

The range-setting diagram is the part of the V4 manual that I've spent most time over. If you could post pictures of drivers set to the various ranges, I think it would be very helpful for many people, me included.

Alright, just put a order in for one of these bad boys. Although I didn't really want to make a google checkout account...I don't trust google. Why don't you use Paypal? No fee's with google?

Lol

Huh, you don't trust google? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.