Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers Not For Sale

jayrob

No longer selling complete lasers... (explanation below)

But I am selling DIY Build Kits & Heatsinks! (but you must turn the flashlight kit into a laser) See here: http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/

For a year or more, I have justified in my own mind that there is nothing wrong with a 'hobbyist' to basically 'trade' his work to other hobbyist's in order to have more of the same!

I have decided not to sell lasers anymore and feel that with the reputation I have built, I owe the forum an explanation. Perhaps if you see in a thread that someone is asking why, you can direct them here.

I will always love this great hobby and plan on still being an active member of LPF. I will be selling heatsinks and 'build kits'. I have several heatsink designs, and for build kits... my 'Pocket Mini Kit', and my 'DIY Green Kit'.

Reasoning: I started selling a build or two because I wanted money to help buy a $300+ blu-ray writer drive back before the PHR days. Then I needed another drive, because I messed up my first attempt!

Building and selling to other laser hobbyist's, became a way to fund my appetite for more and more lasers! I reasoned that 'I’m just a hobbyist, not a company'.

FDA: I once even called the FDA a few months back and you know what the guy told me?...

He asked if I was a company and I told him no, I'm a hobbyist. He then told me that they are concerned with laser companies, not hobbyists. So after that, I continued to justify in my own mind that it was ok to keep building and selling lasers.

Conclusions: Recently I read in a thread that even a 'hobbyist' is considered a 'manufacture'. Anyone making lasers for the purpose of sale. I did some more reading at the FDA site:
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/radhealth/products/lpm.html

... I found this:
" What is the problem with more powerful Class IIIb lasers being promoted and sold as pointers?

Class IIIb hand-held lasers are too dangerous for use as pointers or amusement articles. Furthermore, promotion of Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B products for pointing or amusement violates FDA requirements and United States law. Manufacturers of such products may be required to repair, replace, or refund the purchase price of violative products distributed in the U.S. These products are also subject to detention and seizure by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection when imported."

So, I have decided that in good conscience, I will no longer be selling lasers. Although I will continue to build lasers for my own personal use and enjoyment. I personally, no longer justify selling them in my own mind.

[highlight]Important: I do not, in any way at all, wish for my personal decision to affect others. I have no problem with anyone selling lasers for what ever reason. And I will follow through with what ever deals that I have already promised... [/highlight]
Sincerely
Jay

Last edited:

There is nothing wrong with a good conscience jay,
I stopped selling for a different reason, one of the lasers I sold failed due to a part that I did not build (the host body clicky switch) although the customer did not complain it made me think that I was not happy selling something that I could not guarantee.
It has not stopped me building......it is the reason I have such a vast collection of lasers:)
You are doing the laser community a great service by providing them with a source of heatsinks, who can argue with that?

Regards rog8811

jayrob

rog8811, I appreciate your thoughts very much... thank you!

rog8811 said:
[highlight]It has not stopped me building......[/highlight]You are doing the laser community a great service by providing them with a source of heatsinks, who can argue with that?
Regards rog8811

May it never stop us from building! :D

Speaking of building, man, your latest project is unbelievable!!!
Jay

daguin

I have a few things yet to clean off of my desk and out of my drawer, but then I'll be right behind you, Jay

Peace,
dave

jayrob

That's cool of you Dave... for mentioning that.

Sounds like you had already made the same decision that I have recently came to...

[highlight]Just to emphasize for everyone again, I definitely do not have any problem at all with anyone building and selling! 'To each his own'.[/highlight]

It's just a personal decision. I will still be plenty involved in helping others with builds if I can be of any assistance, because I love this hobby!

I will be selling Pocket Mini hosts along with heatsinks. Not full kits with diodes and drivers, just the host and heatsink... Also, my 'DIY Green Kit' will be available...
Jay

daguin

jayrob said:
That's cool Dave... for mentioning that.

Sounds like you had already made the same decision that I have recently came to...

Yeah, but for other reasons. This is part of the reason behind the "clearance sales" of the past month. I've been clearing out stock.

Peace,
dave

Sorry to hear about your decision, although I can completely understand it ! I have problems enough with selling PARTS ! Sometimes it appears to be more hassle than fun - and FUN is the main reason I got into this hobby to begin with. I continue to help folks out that email me with issues, theories, and questions, but I will not tell them how to build a laser - I send them to this forum (and this forum ONLY) to read up on the magnificent tutorials, and tell them to engage their "BS" filters, to go around all the kiddie talk, and hacker crap, to get to the LASER stuff. I sincerely hope that you don't fade off into the sunset - neither you, nor Dave ! I also hope that your statement might hopefully wake up some of those folks out there with zero accountability (as far as they are concerned).

I DO hope to continue to see great projects coming out of you in the future - and Rog - I will second Jay's comments :)

Did you guys get a Cease and Desist notice or something??? I would think with a disclaimer that all lasers must be used for scientific experiments only would get you off the legal hook.

I don't blame you though. I'd be afraid some kid would be blinding animals, or old ladies with a laser I sold. I cant speak for other countries, but the US has been cultivating irresponsible kids for some time. I know, I was one.. ::) I don't blame the FDA banning importation, but I do defend my right as an adult to buy one. I can go to Wal-Mart with my drivers license and buy a shotgun, but cant order a 5+mW laser pointer.  [smiley=angry.gif]

jayrob

Greg, I will definitely stay active in this cool hobby. I actually enjoy building them. As anyone who has put together a DIY laser can appreciate!

For me it was just a conscience matter...

No Cease and Desist notice or anything Tech_Junkie.

But I'm not going anywhere. I'll be still selling my heatsinks and enjoying DIY projects. 6X blu-rays will be replaced by more powerful diodes soon enough, and I'll be right in the middle of it!
Jay

Although I have only bought one heatsink from you, I do know that you are a trustworthy and great member. I have seen many people giving you great reviews about every product you make. Infact, I was saving up to buy one from you. I suppose I can find another on here though. I hope that you continue to keep lasers in your hobby and continue to be the great member that you are.

jayrob

Thanks man! Those are some nice thoughts... pun intended! ;D
Jay

What a pity!! Newbies like us would be harder to get quality-built, customised, cannot-be-found-anywhere, lasers now! :'(

LiveRock said:
What a pity!! Newbies like us would be harder to get quality-built, customised, cannot-be-found-anywhere, lasers now!  :'(
The great thing about this community is the activity. Everone who's anyone with lasers has signed up on this site. There are many other people selling lasers just like Jayrobs! Even if there's a kind that isn't like Jayrob's, he posts TUTORIALS on how to do EVERY one of his builds that he used to sell. You should have no problem building a laser that he has made. Once again, the community has a large amount of people here, willing to help you with every problem that you encounter. If you're nice to them, they're nice to you!

Woot Woot! Now us other sellers have a chance ;D JUST KIDDING! I'm sorry to see that you are going to stop selling all your great products. You were the one that got me to build my first couple of lasers using your tutorials. I also used a picture diagram of one of your heatsinks to manufacture my own on my mini-lathe :) From that piece of paper I cranked out like 5 of them! So I guess I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you :'( (and be over $1000.00 poorer ;D ;D) Sooooo thanks for your innovative ideas...and keep churning out those laser heatsinks!

Raybo

Humm?

As a youth I use to walk down the street with my pellet gun and NO ONE would look twice at me (I never did anything destructive).
I bought my "gun" at a local hardware store and at the time I don't think the store would be held responsible for my actions, if I did anything wrong my parents would of KICKED MY A..........

Times have really changed and I see why you have made your decision Jay....................What will be banned next?
I could add some comments here, but a "few" members might not agree with them.   ::)

Ray

Ahhh for the good old days of a kid and his Crossman pellet gun and tons of pigeons !! Neighbors asked us to get rid of them !!!
That was long ago and far away.

Mike