Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserlands Pointer Pot Mod

I wasn't about to let summer pass by without one laser build. This is probably a great project for beginners looking for a really cheap laser pen just over 100mw. This will work with all cheap 445nm laser pens without risk of overdrive failure. I wouldn't choose a 1W driver for this, yet others may choose to live more dangerously. Also, the key here is that the module came out just by removing the front cap, as they are threaded together.
It's an A140 cuz I burned out the original diode cuz I apparently strive to do so, but the original was multimode as well

I took

[this laser]

(which is set static to lasing threshhold)
and switched the driver with

[this one].

It's a case-positive driver. Best cheap-o driver for low power 5v laser diodes.
Don't go ordering this laser from Laserlands without first asking if it is in stock. They stopped selling it on ebay, and that usually indicates that it's out of stock.

On 3.2v, it goes up to 60mw. On 3v, it's 20mw.
attachment.php

On 4.2v, it can reach 175mw, but the driver gets up to 50 degrees C in under a minute (measured by how long I could hold my thumb on the board until I started to melt). I did put one of these drivers on a PL450 once at 4.5v input, and the diode never complained, so it should be good for max power.
attachment.php

The front cap isn't pressed in all the way because I'm using an acrylic lens, and am wondering if it'll melt.

To decide on the correct driver, I made a model. Now I'm kinda depressed that you can't get this laser host anywhere anymore.
[GrabCAD SolidWorks file]

The module inside can be approximated by this'a one
And the front thread on it is probably compatible with this pen host
I wonder if the ready-made 445nm pens have the threaded cap.

I just wish I could have ordered another to do this again with a PL450 for a much lighter blue and blindingly tight beam in a brass host.

Attachments

• 20160819_183443.jpg
    20160819_183443.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 330
  • 20160819_183258.jpg
    20160819_183258.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

BobMc

Nice very, that's a great pens build thread! Loved reading it, thanks!

Pman

Neat idea. I doubt the acrylic lens will melt at that output. I have used acrylic lenses in 400mW LPC-826 builds without an issue.
What was the output of the original unit before changing the driver? Did you try running the original on a single 10440 and measuring the output?

You got a good looking beam out of that, I know the Chinese 405's are often way over spec as a 5mw 405nm would be hardly visible, I wonder what that single mode 445 is made to run at?

Neat idea. I doubt the acrylic lens will melt at that output. I have used acrylic lenses in 400mW LPC-826 builds without an issue.
What was the output of the original unit before changing the driver? Did you try running the original on a single 10440 and measuring the output?

5-10mw. I do have one more of these to try that with, ... so I will ;p
I connected a 18650. It looked like it dropped in power definitely to 3mw

You got a good looking beam out of that, I know the Chinese 405's are often way over spec as a 5mw 405nm would be hardly visible, I wonder what that single mode 445 is made to run at?

It was a multimode even before I put an A140 in it. All they can afford to put in it is C@$1o diodes, so anyone can pick up one of these and turn it into a real laser pen like back in the day (2010ish) when there were companies would would sell that kind of stuff. At least, that what I'm speculating. There would be no industrial application for a 50mw multimode blue diode, right?

Last edited:
LOL, It was a late night for me as well. ;)

p.s. Not to be a jerk but please spell that name C@$10 as the search engine brings up this site for their product searchers and it makes them mad, and we don't want them mad. :)

Last edited:

Sta

Re: GUIDE: Which company should I buy from?

p.s. Not to be a jerk but please spell that name C@$10 as the search engine brings up this site for their product searchers and it makes them mad, and we don't want them mad. :)

You should do that for N****a too. :D

Dude I don't honestly know how you took this apart. I have had 2 of these. Both went LED (pretty sure, that or the driver isn't outputting enough to lase). I have one that I have not messed with at all. The original though, I tried with pliers and vice grips both to "unscrew" it to no avail. The only thing that worked for me was alcohol. I soaked it and it slid right on out. I don't know what all that could have destroyed, but I imagine quite a bit. The second unit I would love to try this mod on to see if it brings it back to life. More details needed on how you dismantled it though. Reverse Threaded? Heat?

Stick the brass front cap in a vise and lever the battery tube back and forth while pulling out through the axis of the tube. See my 3D model in the OP for more descriptive geometry. The front cap isn't threaded to the battery tube, but it is threaded to the laser diode module, hence the module will come out with the front cap