Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Sightings in My Area

On the news there was reported that a helicopter pilot was flashed with a laser while patrolling the palm beach area. I myself am in Jensen Beach and have nothing to do with this. The man arrested and being charged with a felony is named "TJ". After his house was searched, they found 21 lasers. At the moment i do not have an article to reference you to because it was just reported live to me on tv about a minute ago. The only thing i hate about this whole situation is how out of proportion people make all this. The news lady was saying that the man could of blinded or even killed the pilot. "bull sh!t"

You would think that a person as invested in our hobby to have that many lasers,
would be a responsible operator.
Maybe the helo pilot only saw a green beam stretch out before him?

moond0ggie said:
Maybe the helo pilot only saw a green beam stretch out before him?
very feasible. it could have been just pointed in that general direction to where the pilot saw and thinks "hmm, a laser... someone is DEFINITELY trying to hit ME with it!" when that wasnt the case. then again maybe the temptations were simply too great and HE JUST HAD TO DO IT! who knows? its purely speculation at this point.

TJ sounds like the name of a guy you just shouldn't sell a laser to begin with.

Cyparagon said:
TJ sounds like the name of a guy you just shouldn't sell a laser to begin with.
??? what? why?

I've sold lasers to people all over the world with all kinds of crazy names. I would never discriminate against someone based on their name.

and let this story be a lesson to everyone. DO NOT SHINE LASERS AT HELICOPTERS, especially NOT HELICOPTERS because they can do a full 180 turn and hover over your location.. call in the ground backup. and you're busted.

don't shine them at airplanes either, even though the chances of getting caught for that are much less.

Ace82

HumanSymphony said:
[quote author=moond0ggie link=1218508657/0#2 date=1218510102]Maybe the helo pilot only saw a green beam stretch out before him?
very feasible. it could have been just pointed in that general direction to where the pilot saw and thinks "hmm, a laser... someone is DEFINITELY trying to hit ME with it!" when that wasnt the case. then again maybe the temptations were simply too great and HE JUST HAD TO DO IT! who knows? its purely speculation at this point.[/quote]

Very feasible indeed. Everybody knows, that cops love criminals, as much as dog catchers love dogs! ;D Seriously though, if there were no stray dogs, then the dog catcher has no job. Sometimes (many times) cops treat everybody (regardless of their name... ::)) like criminals (especially less educated youth where the cop can use intimidation and ignorance as tools) to create criminals. If your dog is missing, probably the dog catcher let him loose! ;D The police helicopter in my town is a feaken terrorist! Like there's a warrant arrest every night! Anyway, I know for sure that if the helicopter in my town sees the green light ANYWHERE, he will track it to the source and arrest the culprit for terrorist acts. It's our word against theirs, which is gospel without proof in court.

Lesson learned: DO NOT SHINE LASERS WHEN THERE IS A HELICOPTER ANYWHERE IN SIGHT, OR CAN BE HEARD, And, people are never going to stop being stupid.

P.S. Who knows if 21 is an accurate number, I judge the media as rumors, nothing more (rumors sometimes contain truth). Probably an ebay scammer would be so stupid enough to actually shine at the heli.

bobobob121 said:
The news lady was saying that the man could of blinded or even killed the pilot. "bull sh!t"
I'd like to punch that lady, tie her up, punch her again, then explain to her how lasers really work. lol.

J

jamie.91

imagine if the police searched youre house and found lasers they would just blame you because it makes thier job easier

lol jamie

How-where do you find out the laws regarding lasers in your area?,
I'm interested in California laws & MY lasers :-?

Holy crap! 21 lasers! Damn how many people have that many
...er I have at least that many :) I bet there are a few more members here who can say that....

I suppose the news reports will eventually start saying that the criminal was found to have an arsenal of lethal weapons.....

Regards rog8811

moond0ggie said:
How-where do you find out the laws regarding lasers in your area?,
I'm interested in California laws & MY lasers :-?

The internet, Google. Seriously. Laws are public things, they're all published. Go the state government website, and start searching. Search all general statutes (or whatever they are called in your state) for the word "laser".

I live in California also, so I perused http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html this site for a while. It's the first result on Google when you type in "California Law". (You probably don't even have to search the sections on Election Code and some other sections, it'll make your search go faster).

It's better for you to find the answer yourself than have someone just tell you, for multiple reasons.

daguin

rog8811 said:
Holy crap! 21 lasers! Damn how many people have that many

**raises hand**

Based simply on the way you asked the question, it is significantly more people than you have imagined.

Peace,
dave