Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser self defense?

Switch

You mean like the puke-light? ::) Why bother? When shining a laser into an attacker's eyes you're looking to blind him with the really bright and concentrated light, not use the nausea inducing ability of changing colours :D You may build a long range puke-laser though ;D

Ah well the 3 colors are all going at the same time, its more to screw up their eyes on more wavelengths than just one color :D

The spinning lens assembly is to make it so when you fire it, you get a combination of wide beam down to narrow concentrated beam so that you can hit them with the wide beam quick and easy to instantly disorient them instead of screwing around trying to hit them dead in the eye as they come at you and you shake like a hypothermic kitten. :p

Once they are disoriented and stunned for a second you will have more time to give them a botched lasic eye surgery.

Its basically like turning a laser into an auto loading shotgun, one round 00 buck shot, next round slug, next round birdshot..... eliminating the need for instant super precise aiming.

The chance for seizures is just an added bonus :D

I am sure you could find a tool on here that would mess the attacker up - although by the time you will have got it out of your pocket, decided which of the 40 odd blades to use, you would be a gonner
wenger-Giant-Knife-zoom.jpg

1. 2.5" 60% Serrated locking blade
2. Nail file, nail cleaner
3. Corkscrew
4. Adjustable pliers with wire crimper and cutter
5. Removable screwdriver bit adapter
6. 2.5" Blade for Official World Scout Knife
7. Spring-loaded, locking needle-nose pliers with wire cutter
8. Removable screwdriver bit holder
9. Phillips head screwdriver bit 0
10. Phillips head screwdriver bit 1
11. Phillips head screwdriver bit 2
12. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5 mm x 3.5 mm
13. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6 mm x 4.0 mm
14. Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0 mm x 6.5 mm
15. Magnetized recessed bit holder
16. Double-cut wood saw with ruler (inch & cm)
17. Bike chain rivet setter, removable 5m allen wrench, screwdriver for slotted and Phillips head screws
18. Removable tool for adjusting bike spokes, 10m hexagonal key for nuts
19. Removable 4mm curved allen wrench with Phillips head screwdriver
20. Removable 10mm hexagonal key
21. Patented locking Phillips head screwdriver
22. Universal wrench
[highlight]23. Laser pointer with 300 ft. range[/highlight]
24. 1.65" Clip point utility blade
25. Metal saw, metal file
26. 4 mm allen wrench
27. 2.5" blade
28. Fine metal file with precision screwdriver
29. Double-cut wood saw
30. Cupped cigar cutter with double-honed edges
31. 12/20-Gauge choke tube tool
32. Watch caseback opening tool
33. Snap shackle
34. Telescopic pointer
35. Compass, straight edge, ruler (in./cm)
36. Mineral crystal magnifier with precision screwdriver
37. 2.4" Springless scissors with serrated, self-sharpening design
38. Shortix key
39. Flashlight
40. Fish scaler, hook disgorger, line guide
41. Micro tool holder
42. Micro tool adapter
43. Micro scraper-straight
44. Reamer
45. Fine fork for watch spring bars
46. Pin punch 1.2 mm
47. Pin punch .8 mm
48. Round needle file
49. Removable tool holder with expandable receptacle
50. Removable tool holder
51. Multi-purpose screwdriver
52. Flat Phillips head screwdriver
53. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5 mm x 3.5 mm
54. Spring loaded, locking flat nose nose-pliers with wire cutter
55. Phillips head screwdriver bit 0
56. Phillips head screwdriver bit 1
57. Phillips head screwdriver bit 2
58. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5 mm x 3.5 mm
59. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6 mm x 4.0 mm
60. Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0 mm x 6.5 mm
61. Can opener
62. Phillips head screwdriver
63. 2.5" Clip point blade
64. Golf club face cleaner
65. 2.4" Round tip blade
66. Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter, can opener
67. Golf shoe spike wrench
68. Golf divot repair tool
69. Micro straight-curved
70. Special tool holder
71. Phillips head screwdriver 1.5mm
72. Screwdriver 1.2 mm
73. Screwdriver .8 mm
74. Mineral crystal magnifier, fork for watch spring bars, small ruler
75. Removable screwdriver bit holder
76. Magnetized recessed bit holder
77. Tire tread gauge
78. Reamer/awl
79. Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter, wire stripper
80. Special Key
81. Toothpick
82. Tweezers
83. Adapter
84. Key ring
85. Second key ring

i think i would have a go with the tweezers, or the Golf divot repair tool

Mirage

I would say a laser would probably not stop an attacker, nor be a good choice of defense in any situation where a human is involved.

First of all, you have to realize that you are simply attempting to do damage to the attacker's vision. A blind attacker can still find a gun in his pocket, and fire off shots in your direction. A blind attacker can still choke or stab you.

In the most dangerous of life-threatening situations, only the best form of defense is desirable. The best form of defense in that case, would be inflicting massive bodily damage via a few hollow points entering their chest. You do not want to be at a disadvantage when it is your weapon against theirs. Don't use a laser.

I'd like to see a blind person try to choke someone.... Honestly if you get caught and strangled by a blind person, you kind of deserve it in my opinion.

You could easily go around with a high powered laser keychain, though in most cases unless you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon you arent going to be walking around with a gun.

Guns are not an effective means for self defense if you dont have a gun with you. Would you rather have nothing, or have a high power laser capable of blinding an disorienting an attacker even at ranges farther than the effective range of a pistol, as well as drawing lots of attention.

If someone already has a gun drawn on you, you are at a disadvantage no matter what you are armed with.

Mirage

Honestly, those are all poor reasons to choose a laser as self defense. Chances are, your laser isn't going to do anything but piss them off. Saying that a laser is more effective at range is simply a fallacy. A laser can shine further than a pistol can shoot, but at those ranges you are talking about offense, not defense. And I'd love to see you hold your beam in your attackers eyes, while he's attacking you...

The reality is this: In no way will a laser physically incapacitate your attacker. A firearm will. 48 states in the U.S. allow concealed carry permits, and many Americans exercise their right and carry all the time. If you live in one of those states, you can easily do so as well. It is the smartest way to protect yourself and your family.

Internet speculation is one thing. Saving your life is another. Dying because you wanted to prove to an internet clan that a laser could stop an attacker is a poor choice to make.

Switch

If his gun is already drawn I'd just give them the money, no point in risking your life for money ::) Even if you could pull out your laser and hit him dead in the eye in a fraction of a second, he can still shoot you.If he has a knife, chances are he's already close enough to reach you before you pull anything from your pocket.And in my case, I didn't even have time to raise my guard, not to mention pull anything out. :p

personally I don't see the need to carry a weapon, if someone is close enough to use a knife they are close enough to knock out with either my feet or my fist. with a gun on the other hand, I would either give them the money or...idk never had someone try to mug me with a gun before, had someone try a pocket knife that didn't work out too well for them seeing as I always carry a few knives and I won a few Karate and Tae kwon do tourneys ;D if they arn't trained to use it at master level then theres no threat. currently learning Mui thai to get in better shape and it's more useful in the street than karate and tae kwon do :D

As someone wise once said, the number one swordsman in the world need not fear the worlds number two swordsman, its some idiot who's never used one before that will do something totally stupid and unexpected that you have to worry about.

Like I said, how many people carry guns with them? Not many, however since we are on a laser forum, quite a few of us here could probably have a high powered laser with them most of the time.

If someone catches you off guard and has a gun drawn on you, you are at a disadvantage no matter what weapon you have with you, they can shoot you at any time, before you can draw your weapon.

Lasers unlike guns, probably wont draw very much attention if you walk around with one in your hand, meaning you can walk around with it in your hand ready to blast anyone who does anything shady as you walk down the dark creepy allies.

Hitting someone in the face with a high powered laser would be better than nothing at all, it would give you a moment to haul ass out of there or do whatever you need to do.

I don't think many of us carry high-powered lasers on the street etc. I can see the logic behind EDC'ing a flashlight or smallish knife but lasers aren't that useful day-to-day.

Tyris

And for every time someone uses a laser to blind another person even in self defense , im sure a nice ban will be imposed in your area... :p

You do not have to comply with the silly ban policy of pencil pushing bureaucrats.
Lasers make no noise and attract no attention if used in self defense. Fleeing the scene is always a possibility after flash blinding an attacker.

They've tried to ban guns in places and good people still carry them for self defense. Criminals will never comply, why should good people voluntarily hinder their self defense? The world goes on.

-T