Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser self defense?

Switch

Yeah , a 6D maglite....but 3600 lumens is a whole diferent story ;D Too bad the light doesn't stop the bullets, I mean, the guy can get blinded but he can still hit you accidentally so it's still a risk :-/

How much does that thing cost anyway? I have failed in finding a price on his site? :D

daguin

Switch said:
Too bad the light doesn't stop the bullets, I mean, the guy can get blinded but he can still hit you accidentally

From personal experience and a multitude of media reports, most of these guys hit their target by accident anyway.  They "point and shoot" without ANY range time.  Unless I am already VERY up close and personal with the problem, I would not hesitate to run (while weaving and hesitating).  The odds are much higher that he will just stand there and "blaze away" without any sight control or run away as well.  Unless he came there specifically to shoot you, he doesn't want the attention that a gunshot will draw.
You shouldn't allow yourself to get up close and personal anyway.  

Stay alert.  Watch those around you.  Avoid the problem to begin with.  Run away

Macho gets you dead.

Peace,
dave

SMIDSY

if the prson is determined it wont matter if you pull out the laser theyll still kill you.

Frankly if I were being attacked and I had a choice between a switchblade or a laser I know which I woudl go for and it aint the laser.

secondly if your goign to all the trouble to pull out a laser (which is VERY directional) why not pull out a mini flame thrower instrad.

seriouslt in close range combat whats better:

Knife which will harm seriously if it hits anywhere on body, or laser which has a very small very directional beam effective on 2 very small places on the face.

mugger 1.

laser carrier dead.

laserwanabe said:
Aren't military lasers actually gamma lasers, not a high unheard of IR?

Are you suggesting a laser with photon energy above 500KeV?

First off, there is no lens in the world, or our known galaxy that can focus the light that would naturally just pass right through the free space between the atoms. So making an xray laser would be very difficult.

Secondly, given that it would be gamma ray radiation, most of the photons would pass right through anything organic (not a lot of heat transfer). The effects of ionizing radiation would not be felt right away.

Switch

I'm sure a "military grade" 100kW gamma laser would f&%k you up instantly.But anyway, the ones I've read about are IR, not unheard of high though. :p

Switch said:
I'm sure a "military grade" 100kW gamma laser would f&%k you up instantly.But anyway, the ones I've read about are IR, not unheard of high though. :p

I used to work very closely with a 40kW Varian xray system. We used to breed up the xray tubes, which is a stepped ramp from 0v to 150KeV at 260mA (max). During a breed I accidentally passed my hand under the beryllium window (very close to the emission point) and I didn’t feel anything then and to this day (years later) I haven’t felt anything.

So in order for ionizing radiation to be useful as a weapon you would need to deliver A LOT of it and hold it on someone for a LONG TIME!

As you get into xrays you run into non-conventional challenges like the fact that most high-energy photons just pass right through everything so you cant reflect them or focus them. But you can refract them a little. I could only imagine how horrible the divergence would be considering the bremsstrahlung effect, scatter and fluorescence from air molecules which all kill your intensity unless you're in a vacuum, and especially over a long distance! oh and forget it if its raining. ;)

Switch

Well here's a "field test". :D I just took 3 hits in the face like half hour ago.He wasn't a mugger, I guess he just didn't like me.Here's how it happened: I was coming home at about 12:30 after a drinking session, and he just stopped me on the street and wanted to shake hands with me, so I think "maybe it's someone I used to know but can't remember so ok" next thing I just saw flashes, didn't really felt much, must've been the alcohol. :D what can you do , right?

So the point being, I had a ~100mW bluray in my pocket and can surely say that in such a scenario I wouldn've had time to pull out anything, wheter it was a gun or knife or laser.Didn't even bother to keep my guard up :D well, maybe if I was sober... ::) Anyway, a laser doesn't provide any defense at close range, period. ;D I'm pretty much ok though, 3 punches, busted lip , black eye, bleeding nose.I was in no condition to defend myself, luckily the guy hit like a pussy, I still have all my teeth. :p

Switch

Yea , that's what I was thinking :D F%#kin cowardly pussy. ::)

Why not build a laser into a 100 watt flashlight built like a baseball bat with a switchblade bayonet and pepper spray launcher with longitudinal electrical strips for a 200,000 v stun gun system? Could easily add in a few metal storm style 9mm barrels, a small flame thrower, a snare launcher, and some kind of grappling device capable of pulling you vertically out of a bad situation.......

At night time even a 5mW laser spread through a common magnifying lens shown in the eyes at range is disorienting, you cant really see much of anything but red and its very unpleasant to look directly at the laser. If you add in a spinning lens assembly that rapidly switches from one type of lens to another, you could make some very disorienting effects. I imagine even a 200 mW through a lens to make a wide beam would temporarily blind like a flash bang, at night.

Lets say 3 diodes positioned around a central spinning rotary lens assembly, one blue ray, one green, and one red, with 6 different optics so the beam will go from straight beam, to wide, to fairly narrow, to very wide to very narrow etc. That way you dont need precise aim as you run while shining it over your shoulder, or hit them from range.

The pulsating intense light might even give them a seizure.

I have also been wanting to build something like an electronic flash bang made up of many many camera flash tubes repeatedly fired in sequence or able to be discharged simultaneously.

when I'm walking down the street at night I usually just have my knife in hand, holding on to it in my pocket, I do the same with my laser now lol. So if someone came up to me, even if they did get the first punch I'd already be holding the laser...