Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Purchasing

I actually like this idea. One person would make the modules. The other person would make the hosts. All a customer would need to do is buy one of each and screw them together. Then both sellers could claim ignorance if the buyer was to make a portable laser out of the combination.

Would that hold up to legal pressure? If both companies are advertised in the same banner ad, it's hard to deny the businesses were set up to complement each other.

Especially since this thread serves as a log of this whole conversation.

Ehem.... Term and condition..... we just need to state that we won't be hold responsible as we only provide misc part and end product are customer responsibility in case of injury.....

SyKo

Working on something to use as a platform to bring life to our ideas, what are peoples preferred communication methods?
Shall we all create a skype group for the machinists and other large sellers to communicate with each other?

Rivem

Would that hold up to legal pressure? If both companies are advertised in the same banner ad, it's hard to deny the businesses were set up to complement each other.

Especially since this thread serves as a log of this whole conversation.

I think it's in a legal gray area. The FDA doesn't regulate OEM laser components nearly as much, but the point between just a diode and a full laser where it goes from a component to a system seems unclear. Modules made to just screw in and lase may not fall into the OEM component category.

A potential issue as a laser seller in the US would be regularly taking PayPal payments. You can't use the friends and family option enough to run a business like this, and PayPal will share earnings data through the regular option with the IRS for US residents. Somebody might want to look into your business.

Might be better to use a cryptocurrency for payment, but that limits your customer base.

All in all, a business selling laser systems unregistered and overpowered to average consumers probably wouldn't get you caught by the FDA, but on the slight chance that it did, you've got the possibility of some serious legal issues ahead.

Edit:
Ehem.... Term and condition..... we just need to state that we won't be hold responsible as we only provide misc part and end product are customer responsibility in case of injury.....

Definitely something that should be done, but depending upon how complete the laser is, it wouldn't necessarily work for a US business.

Last edited:
By far the best thing to do is learn to build your own, but basic components can be sold to make it easy and aesthetically pleasing for people.

We are supposed to be a free people, I can carry a firearm, I should be able to carry a laser pointer, what everyone must understand is the safe handling of both.

Putting a module into a host, installing a battery contact and soldering a few connections is not brain surgery, if it takes getting scammed by crooked ready made sellers then maybe it's not a total waste, I hate to see people cheated, but I also hate to see people behave dangerously, so maybe there is a balance.

We do need to cover our own backsides because when some 14 year old blinds his little sister with a screw together......I don't want to be in the mix.

I admire everyone's desire to protect novice buyers, but learning is part of growing, we should proceed with caution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zKV8gF1.jpg

P001.jpg

DTR < HEADS

THIS ONE < ASPIRE for sale here. < TAILS

Wow, very nice!! I might get myself one of these battery mods to use along with the 22mm DTR module as well. I really like the look of the host in the image your provided :drool:

Rivem

THESE ASPIRE 510 BATTERY MODS ARE NICE

CHOSE A 22mm MODULE LASER 510 HERE

Yes just click the links, I love the look of that combo myself, the blue aspire or black carbon fiber would be sweet with a 22mm module laser from DTR, just screw them together and done. p.s. Chose a DIODE on DTR's page and scroll down to find ready modules

You know RedCowboy, I really like your idea of standardizing laser pointers. It'd be awesome to have the ability to just order different pieces to screw together.

To really separate the pieces for legal reasons, maybe we could even split the driver out. You could buy a battery tube, driver/button puck, and a laser module of your choosing to put together with the common threading. For plausible deniability, the end user could have to choose and set the driver themselves.

Last edited:
You guys are funny. In a good way.

There is absolutely no deniability to be had, having said everything that's been said in an open forum. Nor do you want to have any conversation with any kind of federal law enforcement not through a lawyer. A lie of omission or misleading statements are both actual federal crimes on their own.

Getting email/chat/forum PM messages would not take much if any effort either. Unless you're taking extensive measures to do so, assume that anything said online, in any format, is recorded, and available for review.

So no need to deny anything, just so long as you're not selling all the components required, and there is some work involved in putting them together.

IIRC Survival Lasers offered a screw together laser option at one point, after they stopped selling complete lasers. I'm betting there is a very good reason they don't offer that option anymore.