Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Pointers Take Down Helicopter

Oh well, so now the masters on laser safety can operate several 150mW lasers against a reflective plastic made helicopter on a small room but I get flamed for saying that you don't need goggles to operate a single 15mW green module. LOL

I too have a problem with this video.

As ColdStl said, if anyone on this forum made a video, as CLEARLY irresponsible as this one, the internets wouldn't hear the end of it.

So what if they operate multiwatt systems for a living?

Just because someone is a professional military sniper who works with a 50cal, it doesn't mean he can just f*ck around with the "puny" 9mm on his off-time and treat it like a water gun, does it?

I call bollocks on this video. Not cool, tbh I expected more from the guys over on PL. Especially considering they think of us as a bunch of blubbering morons who go around the world pointing lasers into peoples eyes so they can see how bright our magical beams are...

Last edited:

Ash

These guys are idiots. Straight up. No question about it.

Benm

Stupid enough in terms of safety at least. But then again, if all participants choose to accept the risk, its their responsibility to deal with.

The only thing in object to is the example it sets... while it looks cool, they are portraying a dangerous act as if it were something someone with basic laser knowledge would endorse.

JLSE

I wonder if all of the voices you can hear in the background were that of people who also had on goggles...?

As for bringing the RC heli down, maybe the idea was to blind the guy flying it, till the point he could no longer track its where aboots.

wow... half the people on that thread are total assholes, what the hell does "mccarot" have up his ass?

Things

I agree some people have something stuck up their ass, and you shouldn't have been flamed like that, but I can see why they have very strong opinions on pointers.

I say "they", even though I also regularly hang out there, and I too have strong opinions on pointers, though bashing someones review thread is a little over the top.

Oh well, so now the masters on laser safety can operate several 150mW lasers against a reflective plastic made helicopter on a small room but I get flamed for saying that you don't need goggles to operate a single 15mW green module. LOL

Hey Albert...

you know that it is the consensus that any laser >5mW should be used
with Laser safety Goggles and making that statement on PL just opened
the flood gates... I know some people don't... but don't advertise it...

On the PL Helicopter Video... I'm pretty sure that the PL members involved
know that the Video came back to bite them in the A$$ and is PL publicity
nightmare...
It shows that the members involved are as irresponsible as they blame
others to be...IMO

BTW... yeah... Mcarrot seemed to have a 300mW lit Laser Pointer up his
butt...:eg:

Jerry

D

Deleted member 8382

Yeah well, it's already over anyway, not gonna go back again xD

There has been a lot of discussion about that video on PL.. I agree with every statement you've made here brtaman. The way certain members treat people who support a person's right to own a portable laser is inexcusable.. McCarrot is a particularly big douchebag and he's caught an earful from me about it already.

The thing about PL is that while there are some hypocritical members there in terms of their feelings on portable lasers, there is also knowledge second to none. Having advice from people who work with lasers professionally (including one of the main authors of several sections of Sam's Laser FAQ) and from the guys who do some of the biggest laser shows on the planet is worth having to hear some rude folks bitch about laser pointers IMO.. You're not going to find a free source of this kind of knowledge elsewhere.

I too have a problem with this video.

As ColdStl said, if anyone on this forum made a video, as CLEARLY irresponsible as this one, the internets wouldn't hear the end of it.

So what if they operate multiwatt systems for a living?

Just because someone is a professional military sniper who works with a 50cal, it doesn't mean he can just f*ck around with the "puny" 9mm on his off-time and treat it like a water gun, does it?

I call bollocks on this video. Not cool, tbh I expected more from the guys over on PL. Especially considering they think of us as a bunch of blubbering morons who go around the world pointing lasers into peoples eyes so they can see how bright our magical beams are...

Last edited:
I have to agree with your points as well, I am a long time PL lurker myself. I quite enjoy reading the more technical articles and reviews. The forum has plenty of great/knowledgeable members indeed!

I understand where some of their members come from for disliking portable lasers.

The professionals who make a living off laser shows and equipment, stand to lose much more than our community in the event that the government decides to use the moronic use of portables as a grounds for impeding on laser technology being used in public. They will lose their livelihoods, while most of us will lose only a hobby.

That being said, I think all of the hatred found on Photonlexicon stems from a fundamental misunderstanding. The members of this forum are just as much "laser fanatics" as the guys on PL are. Simply, we love lasers. Just because most of us are not in a position; space or money wise to invest in large gas/projector systems does not mean we do not desire to some day own such equipment as well. That being said, like them we also have many members who own more lab lasers than pointers (daguin comes to mind:shhh:).

The last thing we here on LPF want to have happen is to lost our rights to these great pieces of technology and we do everything we can to educate new members on proper use and safety. We pounce on all idiots who feel are a danger to not only themselves and the people around them, but also to our hobby.

Yet we are automatically grouped into the same category as the idiots with 20$ ebay lasers who make it a habit of causing trouble. That is a prejudice as far as I am concerned.

Sure we have morons joining our forum, who do not care about any advice we give them, who are a great liability to everyone in the laser world.

But so does Photolexicon, pro d-bag Allen comes to mind. :undecided: I think, if anyone is a liability it is that jackass.

Best Regards,
brtaman

D

Deleted member 8382

@EF: Yeah well, just as on every forum, there are different kind of people. I understand that. However it was not one or two idiots there, it was like all the forum except the ones that are also registered here flaming me for nothing.

I understand they have much more to loose than you, but this doesn't give them the right to behave that way. As I said there, that sounds like if Hitler itself was the forum owner. "You could be a threat, so regardless of how good you are, I'll kick your ass and all the other asses around you."

DJZ

This has been an interesting thread, I've enjoyed reading it, except the parts where everyone at PL are called idiots, that's just silly. I don't understand this sense of rivalry between PL and LPF, I know there are several folks at PL that are very vocally anti-pointer, but not everyone falls in this category, obviously, otherwise this wouldn't have happened at the event! I own several pointers myself, even purchased some of them from folks here and can say that I'm partly guilty for this video as one of the beams is from me. I can say that PL members were the only people in the room when it occurred, however, I know that doesn't excuse the act. Absolutely an accident could have happened, thankfully it didn't.

The professionals who make a living off laser shows and equipment, stand to lose much more than our community in the event that the government decides to use the moronic use of portables as a grounds for impeding on laser technology being used in public. They will lose their livelihoods, while most of us will lose only a hobby.

Perhaps this is a misconception? There are many more hobbiest on PL than there are pro's. Me for example, I've been building and playing around with laser projectors since 1994, since then I've done 3 paid public shows, none of which were in the last 8 years.

The members of this forum are just as much "laser fanatics" as the guys on PL are.

I absolutely agree!

Just because most of us are not in a position; space or money wise to invest in large gas/projector systems does not mean we do not desire to some day own such equipment as well.

Actually, more and more systems are solid state now. Jumping into laser projectors with gas lasers isn't cost effective at all. Heck, the work done by the guys here on this forum have led to some of us getting cheap 660nm lasers for red and cheap 405nm laser for violet.

Anyway, going back to the issue, should the incident with the heli have occurred? Probably not, it really does set a bad example. As safe as we can all try to be, in a situation like that, we were asking for trouble, and got lucky.

D

Deleted member 8382

I do neither understand the rivalry. I just know I went here with all my good intentions and was flamed that way. They even joked about this forum, so I just came back. I'm pretty sure no one here has ever started anything against them, just because there's no reason. The only explanation, as I said, is that the feeling that this forum promotes a possible threat to their pocket weight is stronger than basic morals for many members there :/

That said, you just proved me that there are nice guys there too ;)

Benm

I dont follow PL much, but it should be clear that this video sends the wrong message.

Nobody got hurt i suppose, but replicating what they do there is a dangerous game to play. I makes the lasers look like good toys for a party moment, with possible alcohol impaired participants.

I am not that cautious a person, but under such circumstances i'd keep people away from the powerful lasers just in case. Surely noone has evil intent, but accidents happen in a literal split second in such circumstances.