Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser fire safety.

I'm a big fan of leaf burning and wood burning art, I have a fire pit and a designed " art " area, however accidents can happen and get out of hand fast.

It's a good idea to be prepared and if working outside know that foliage can smolder for hours, so wet down any area that you have ben working in and check for any smoke or if at night any glow of embers long after you are finished.

Hoses if you have a house are a great idea, fire extinguishers - you can never have too many.

There are little handy ones like the tundra extinguisher in a can available at Wal-Mart and the regular range of sizes and compositions.
I have some of the old stainless industrial extinguishers that you can fill about 65% of the way with water and pressurize with a home air compressor via a shrader valve, the top unscrews at the tangs and I left some in my garage during a freeze into the low 20's and apparently being pressurized was enough that I did not need any antifreeze.

My point is you can never be too careful, make sure everything is out and check again later, be prepared, my outdoor fire pit is very safe even when its windy and I clear the area around it pretty well, but a simple shovel can be a lifesaver for stopping a foliage fire, so have one where you can find it, then make sure you don't need it. ;)

55202d1489250810-laser-fire-safety-sany0475.jpg

55203d1489250810-laser-fire-safety-sany0478.jpg

55204d1489250810-laser-fire-safety-sany0479.jpg

55205d1489250810-laser-fire-safety-sany0480.jpg

Please feel free to share your ideas, stories, ect...

Attachments

• SANY0475.JPG
    SANY0475.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 182
  • SANY0478.JPG
    SANY0478.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 171
  • SANY0479.JPG
    SANY0479.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 195
  • SANY0480.JPG
    SANY0480.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

GSS

I really have nothing to add other than I have 2 of the smaller extinguishers handy and near by.
Just actually a really good thread to start RedC:beer:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The red dry chemical extinguishers can be refilled with water as well. I have a dozen or so I've been using for 20 years at the firworks shows I shoot.

After the drychemical charge is expended the top can be unscrewed. Fill ~2/3 with water and screw the top back on. I pressurize them with an air gun jammed into the business end of the extinguisher to 100psi and they're good to go, but I never store these under pressure. The cylinders are aluminum so they won't rust. I just worry about the water getting nasty so I empty them between outings. Great squirt guns!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes fire safety is a serious topic and definitely worth mentioning. It can be very quick for a fire to get out of control.
Also be careful burning certain plastics, some can be very flammable and toxic.

BobMc

I think this is an excellent idea. Will be picking up a fire extinguisher. Thanks for the suggestion/idea/thought, whatever, just going to grab one. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

GSS

Yes fire safety is a serious topic and definitely worth mentioning. It can be very quick for a fire to get out of control.
Also be careful burning certain plastics, some can be very flammable and toxic.
Yup, it's sure not like the movie's where the hero run's in and saves people after people with a "controlled" action scene.
One thing that stuck with me recently was I met a man who had burn scars all over his body from a fire when he 12 years old. The first words when I asked him what happened weren't about the "Lord only knows" pain he suffered but how "Metal Fires Doors" expand and you can get stuck inside.:undecided:
Let's get back to the prevention part as never to see this even happen:can:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Movies are terrible at portraying the truth, so many things that are made to look easy are really not. As for that guy with scarring. That's terrible. Fire doors are meant to be safety aid, not add to the entrapment. I'm glad he got out alive, but now he has to live with scarring for the rest of his life. :( I agree, prevention is paramount.

Encap

Good advice--can't be too careful--being prepared for any eventuality within reason makes good sense--goggles are only 1 part of it.

Benm

When you refill an extinguisher with anyting other than it's original content, make sure to label that VERY clearly. Confusion can create huge hazards otherwise: if you were to repurpose a model that normally sprayed power or CO2 to dispense water, someone grabbed that to put out an oil fire would be in deep trouble.

And when it comes to chemical fires it's even more important to get the information right: If you have something like a magnesium fire you really do not want to add extra oxidizer in form of water or CO2 to that situation, but powder could help to put the fire out. Mistaking one for the other could make the difference between firefighting and fuelling an inferno without having a clue on why it is making things far worse instead of putting the fire out.

We had a fire nearly get out of control at a camp in West Virginia several years ago, thanks to fire extinguishers it was put out. Lesson learned, don't use gasoline in an open fire in the woods.

Yep, been there, done that, gasoline too flammable, use naphtha instead.

Reactions: GSS
When you refill an extinguisher with anyting other than it's original content, make sure to label that VERY clearly. Confusion can create huge hazards otherwise: if you were to repurpose a model that normally sprayed power or CO2 to dispense water, someone grabbed that to put out an oil fire would be in deep trouble.

And when it comes to chemical fires it's even more important to get the information right: If you have something like a magnesium fire you really do not want to add extra oxidizer in form of water or CO2 to that situation, but powder could help to put the fire out. Mistaking one for the other could make the difference between firefighting and fuelling an inferno without having a clue on why it is making things far worse instead of putting the fire out.

YES, that's a good point, but my big silver industrial cans are for my own use, I don't refill the little red ones. I could paint " Contains Water " on them, just incase for some reason someone else gets ahold of one. :beer:

------edit------

Actually my big silver cans are marked as water type, but you do have a good point, water on a grease fire is KABOOM because the steam can easily make a fuel air bomb out of it.

55222d1489423681-laser-fire-safety-sany0509.jpg

55223d1489423681-laser-fire-safety-sany0512.jpg

Attachments

• SANY0509.JPG
    SANY0509.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 121
  • SANY0512.JPG
    SANY0512.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited: