Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Essay: Types of laser hobbyists on LPF.

Kenom

So for the sake of knowledge what pray tell is a "central idea"
I've only been taught to consider 2 things, Thesis statement and topic sentences. Over all you still need to discuss the general topic which is expressed in your thesis statement and supports the thesis. I.e. laser are fun. is a thesis. types of lasers, power ratings, and so forth are general topic.

I'll post the essay that the professor asked me if she could use for future classes.

Kenom

Prevent Homelessness Instead of Reacting to It

Over the course of the last couple of years, I’ve gotten more involved in Family Homelessness (homelessness of one or more person with a child/ren) by working with IHN (Interfaith Hospitality Network), a program setup to house homeless families in church congregations and provide case management services.  Having spent a short period of time as a homeless person with my two small children, I got an opportunity to see how ineffective these programs are in addressing the needs of the homeless.  I went from one government agency to the next, seeking the help that I needed to get back on my feet and was mostly met with limits and bureaucratic obstacles.  Had some more progressive policies and programs, like preventative programs, been in place, I probably wouldn’t have struggled so much. While prevention wouldn’t have done anything for my particular reason for becoming homeless, for many families it can mean the difference between becoming homeless and not. We should be preventing homelessness, not reacting to it, by providing support for families before they become homeless with rental subsidies and emotional and potentially psychological support.
The first and foremost reason for prevention as opposed to reaction is the effectiveness of the program offered. The two main types of systems available are ones that assist families with rental subsidies and case management prior to families becoming homeless and providing shelter for the family after they have become homeless as well as case management, medical/psychological support and financial assistance.  The effectiveness of each program is discussed by Dennis Culhane, a researcher on homelessness from the University of Pennsylvania, in his paper “Accountability, Cost Effectiveness, and Program Performance: Progress Since 1998,” where he presents “An evaluation of a neighborhood-based homelessness prevention intervention in Philadelphia” , where “at risk” households are given assistance prior to becoming homeless (12-14).  These families receive rental subsidies and communication with their landlords prior to becoming homeless, which allows them the stability they need to resolve the issues threatening them with homelessness. Sadly, since the clientele of prevention services rarely enters into the reaction-based homeless programs as a result of becoming homeless, there is really no way to track how effective this prevention system has become. That fact that very few prevention clients become homeless though speaks volumes about its effectiveness.  If the program were not effective, we would be seeing these families entering into the reactive programs as a result of becoming homeless.  That’s not the case, however, as these families continue to be successful and rarely need other additional services.  The reactive programs, on the other hand, aren’t nearly as successful, and the numbers support this belief.  All throughout Culhane’s paper, statistics indicate the ineffectiveness of current programs and the increasing rate of homelessness in the United States, a trend that doesn’t seem to be declining anytime soon.
Another factor to consider in utilizing preventive programs instead of reactive is the cost of the individual programs. If we reduce the cost of the programs, we can offer the programs to more clients. The cost of prevention can sometimes, for example, work out to only a few month’s rent while the families in need of services goes about resolving the issues that brought them to the place of needing assistance in the first place, namely finding employment or stabilizing family issues.  Reacting to homelessness, on the other hand, brings on the additional cost of providing food, medical assistance and therapy.  These costs are significantly larger than the cost of providing assistance prior to homelessness, not to mention, generally, people tend to stay in these programs for longer periods of time, overcoming feelings of shame and low self-esteem as a result of becoming homeless. Providing prevention, however, circumvents the problem of shame and low self-esteem since these families rarely becomes homeless.  They will go on feeling good about themselves and will move out of the program a lot more quickly. This scenario will allow the programs to offer its services to other clients in need of help when the time comes and reduce the amount of recurrence of need.  
The vast majority of services and programs offered throughout the United States is based on reaction and not prevention.  Turning around the status quo, will allow us to implement a program that seems to have a higher success rate and will allow more funding for reactive programs for those who get into the situation of homelessness regardless of prevention or those who didn’t or couldn’t seek assistance prior to finding themselves homeless. Prevention programs appear to be more effective as opposed to reactive programs.  Lower numbers of participants entering into reactive programs after preventative lends credence to the effectiveness of the preventive program over reactive.  Add to the effectiveness the lower operating cost of preventative programs, and you have a system that actually has a chance at reducing homelessness.

This will be seen by future generations of students at MSUB 38/40 points.

Good read Kenom! I really enjoyed reading it. Very well written Hope you get a good grade

daguin said:
[quote author=Geneticz link=1238302395/0#13 date=1238405842]
Topic sentence, especially for the first paragraph. Clearly state what you are attempting to prove, as you should be attempting to do so.

You're professors probably refer to this concept as either the "thesis statement", or the "central idea."  No.  They are not the same thing, but The English departments (here at least) don't appear to be teaching the "central idea" anymore.   :'(

I hate taking up class time in a public speaking class to teach a basic writing component  :mad:

Peace,
dave[/quote]

You teach speech? I hate public speaking, but my teacher said i'm really good at it :) Still hate it tho- make me so nervous!

Your essay tackles about the types of laser hobbyists on LPF. For additional information, in recent years, some hobbyists have taken interests in lasers. Lasers used by hobbyists are generally of class IIIa or IIIb, although some have made their own class IV types.
Well, I admire your flows of ideas. They are coherent to each other thus giving the whole article a polished thought. I suggest a more cleaned writing guideline that you must be sticking into.

Last edited:
Reactions: ARG

daguin

Y'all do realize that this paper was written, and turned in as a class assignment, in March of 2009, right?

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

Uhm ..... laser essay, and studies on laser peoples .....

..... i just hope that you're not searching volunteers for sampling / live dissection .....

JUST KIDDING :p :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

live dissection ? hahaha

Well, I still think there should be a category between the newbie and the veteran !

and in which case the term "regular member" is still misinterpreted... there is a verterans section which i am now a member lol

michael

No disrespect for your pointing that out Dave, but what difference does it make? Isn't that just the benefit and nature of internet forums? If it's not acceptable, why not close all threads after X days (months?, years?)? Why not put the dates more prominent on the page if it's an issue?

Why not shut up? We have a way of doing things here, and bumping an old thread without new info is frowned upon. The threads are not locked after a certain time because sometimes new info comes in. The system works, so no need to change it. If you dont like it write a letter to C0ld.

Hey T_J... that pic in your Sig cracks me up...
have you seen this one... :D

Walter.jpg

Jerry

daguin

Why not shut up? We have a way of doing things here, and bumping an old thread without new info is frowned upon. The threads are not locked after a certain time because sometimes new info comes in. The system works, so no need to change it. If you dont like it write a letter to C0ld.

I warned y'all the last time that "gentleman" went berserk. He has both ego issues and anger management issues. Plus, apparently, he isn't even up with what is going on in the forum. I didn't read his post until TJ quoted it. He is only one of two people on my ignore list.

The paper was written for a class assignment over a year ago. The gentleman who wrote it has been forced by circumstances to leave school. How much value is there in him telling the author what he thinks of the effort?

The "new information" was his opinion?!? -- Too funny -- I have some papers that are over a decade old he might like to comment on. I'm sure that "his opinion" on them would serve to improve the papers LOL!

Simply having laser knowledge is not enough to be a member of a community.

Peace,
dave

Hey T_J... that pic in your Sig cracks me up...
have you seen this one... :D

Walter.jpg

Jerry

Yeah the old guy is funny too. Jeff has a funny act, when he comes around we might see him.

YOU shut up, and stop derailing the thread! The "new info" in my post was MY opinion and comments on the topic. Who cares if it was an old thread except you and Dave? Perhaps another category might be "nanny".

achmed.jpg

This is not a real threat and should not be regarded as a real threat.

alf638

Very very true and well classified, I have noticed exactly the same thing in my experience, well done.