Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

La Spada Verdi: 1st Ever 520nm 115mW MS-SSW; Build/Review; Very Pic Heavy

La Spada Verdi: 1st ever MS-SSW by Sinner w/ Osram PL520 Diode @ 115W

I've been a fan of Sinner's work for some time and when he asked if I wanted to do a build/review of his MS-SSW (Sinner's Secret Weapon), I jumped at the chance, and really wanted this host. And, I knew I wanted it for the PL520 direct green diode, despite the fact that Sinner designed this host specifically for the 9mm 445nm diode. The conversion was not difficult.

V0QLV7L.jpg

This is an amazing, hefty, and well designed host. I love the lines and look. It should be noted that this host is challenging for the beginner builder. Seek the build thread by Offroadfreak for help.

gGa7iG7.jpg

Let's get on with it...

The packing, as from Sinner's US broker:
2E1seLH.jpg

The bits (semi-assembled):
VEh1dx0.jpg

The unit comes with (front to back): focus knob, heatsink head, pill, body tube, tail cap with switch, and the switch cap disk. All very nice, but I had to clean some polishing debris from the details. There were some blemishes on the finish, but I have to blame US Customs for those.

The tail cap with switch installed:
TUsIV72.jpg

7hzHqYA.png

The pill with a pre-set 2.2A X-Drive installed by Sinner w/ a little heatsink. It's a shame that US customs got a hold of it and dislodged the sink completely:
eBZIc2R.png

The pill, body tube and tail cap with my warning sticker from Nick:
VuW6t0u.jpg

The pill with an X-Drive set @ 295mA:
VxN9mAV.jpg

I had to remove Sinner's original X-Drive and then soaked the pill in Isopropyl to soften it and remove it. I then epoxied the new driver in the pill and ran the wires through.

The pill threads in so deeply that it completely hides in the body. This is NOT how you want to do it! Leave yourself some room for your monster batteries. It was easy to thread it down tightly enough to get the batteries.
Xq1TudV.jpg

This host is a pressed-module design, meant to accept a 12mm dia. copper module for the 9mm diode. My 5.6mm module for some reason did not fit snugly. This turned out to be fortunate for me, as I was puzzled as to how to assemble the head without twisting the diode wires. This is where you have to be prepared. You will have to secure your wired diode pins, heavily, with thermal epoxy to protect them from any torque as the wires twist when you thread on the head. The lead wires are plenty long for this.
LeHQcIc.jpg

So, I just left loose fitting diode module hanging out as I threaded the diode heatsink to the host. I then just twisted gently and tucked the module in with the help of some Arctic Ceramic.

A note on the focus knob; Should you want to make a PL520 build and you go with the acrylic lens that DTR recommends (great divergence, better pass than 3 element), you will find that you wont be able to use it with Sinner's fine focus knob. You will need an extended lens barrel to be able to thread it in deeply into the knob and the module. I am using a G-2 currently, but wish I had an acrylic in a long lens barrel.

On to the diode!

blLUFLo.jpg

This was almost the peak (115mw) that I got with DTR's original X-boost @ 300mA (~315ma as measured). I was very lucky to get such an efficient diode!

The stable reading @ 60sec (assembled):
uR1kSM7.jpg

It now runs a stable 98-102mW with the 295mA X-drive in it. I don't mind the slightly lower power...I'm happy to let this diode live a nice, long life.

And now, on to the gallery!

How about some good thunder and lightening?!

How do you like my new hand brake?
7R0xwO1.jpg

OAY3lmH.png

I'm going to need a bigger case....

i8QuyLi.jpg

The Sword fits nicely in the collection. The Krytons look like pencils next to it!

av1C2Rw.jpg

My complaint dept. at work...
:lasergun:

I'm terribly excited to have this in my collection. You can bet it's going to be a permanent part of it!

I'm using Hak's King Kong 26650 batteries to power this beautiful build. I could run this thing until the batteries ran out..it's so damned much laser and cooling for that little diode and driver...I am truly (euphemistically) in love with this laser.

I want to thank Sinner, DTR, Offroadfreak, Mohrenberg, Flaminpyro, Clif, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. It's been a helluva ride.

Last edited:

Re: Coming Soon! MS-SSW with 300mA PL520!

I thought 300mA was a weeeeeee bit high for these diodes?

IIRC 200mA max on the datasheet is the rating..

maybe you already knew that. :D

Good luck with your new build!

Thanks for the warning. But, since when have we ever stuck to datasheets? Read the murder thread and DTR's test thread. On his site, he lists 200mA as the "conservative" setting, and 300 as the "recommended" setting. I feel confident in his recommendations.

Since the xboost can only take an input of up to 5.5v what battery setup are you gonna use? Or did you get one of the single cell ms ssw?

Edit: nevermind saw you question at the very end haha Im blind.

You might have to make some type of 18650 holder and wire em in parallel, I dont think you'll be able to fit all that with 2x 26650s in there.

Last edited:

Thanks, Eradicator. It is a 2 cell host. I just can't bring myself to run this beauty on a single battery and throw off the balance. I think I'm going to make a Moh linear @ 300mA and drive it that way with both...it's a sickness, I know.

I feel your pain, I was going to join the MS SSW gb, and I was trying to get a single cell MS-SSW, like the ones Offroad got, Sinner said he wasnt making anymore, but he had one single cell MS SSW left in the US he could sell me today. Wasn't planning to spend that money, but how do you say no to that. My wallets like a sick joke lol.

And, I have an Osram PLTB450 coming from DTR today going in an eghemus host. Its bad man, its really bad.

Last edited:

That's why he's called Sinner. He is the very manifestation on envy, coveting, and desire.

He got me with exactly the same kind of offer...two days before he announced round 2 for them...At least I wont have to wait a month!

ARG

This is one of sinners hosts, right? They look pretty good :) I have to get one for myself. Do they have anodizaion options?

Good luck with the build! Looks great :)

Last edited:

ARG

Reminds me a lot of Ehgemuses style, I love the look of them :D

That will be one sweet laser. :drool:

I just got my 520 w/300ma x-boost in today, but my host, witch i'm waiting on, is not even comparable. Can't wait to see that baby lasing!

IsaacT

I am waiting on my MS-V4 to get here. My diode and microboost are both in my possession...just sitting on my desk all dejected like.

Isaac, why do I feel like we're gonna have a good ole fashion Texas Race to Build a Green Mace!?

My PL520 w/ 300mA X-Boost should arrive on Saturday, get to be LPMed on Sunday, and then it's just tick-tock, tick-tock.

I don't know if your host came in the same batch as mine did, but they hit NYC this morning!!

Last edited:

IsaacT

It probably did. BUT. Mine will be no mace :p I go for the sleek builds....an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. By the way if you are ever in Austin hit me up! My LPM will be here today, and I am just itching to log some numbers. Also, nobody I know shares my passion for photonic enjoyment.

Diode is here, Driver is here, Arctic Silver Adhesive is here, Batteries are here.....Host in route in same shipment as yours.

Last edited:

Well, mine is hardly a mace as well. I think I've found a name for it...Spada Verde: The Green Sword.

Re: Coming Soon! MS-SSW, 300mA PL520! La Spada Verdi

I've got good news!

Sinner says my host will ship tomorrow, 06/05/2013!! Since it's coming from NY, it should only take 3 days or so to arrive.

I'm tuning the linear driver for it now. I may have not gotten a cap or something soldered on properly. It's only outputting half what it should.

A positive side note:

This PL520 is a BURNER!
Sure, it's not much of a burner, but while I had it powered up, I focused it up closely and got some smoke from my electrical tape!

I won't wait to put this together with the stock X-Boost if the host gets here before I work out the linear driver issue. I want to see this green out of my MS-SSW!

I didn't get to meet up w/ my guy who has an LPM today. :cryyy:
So, there won't be any output readings on my 520nm for now.

IsaacT

Re: Coming Soon! MS-SSW, 300mA PL520! La Spada Verdi

If you are ever near Austin hit me up I'll measure for you. Only goes up to 2W, but I plan to add datalogging and make it a 3W'er.