Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Knives from DX

LaZeRz

Hellooo fellow LPF members! :D

Since I have a attraction to anything dangerous I have decided to pick up a knife from Dealextreme... There are about 6 or so knives that I am deciding between and I would like your input on which one YOU think looks the best and has the most use....

I know there is a risk of customs getting it but worst case scenario, im out 7 bucks or so.

I will try to stick to manual opening knives instead of flick/spring assisted types but if I have to have something, well, I have to have it :p

I will be buying the knife along with other things like a DMM and soldering iron tips so it will hopefully have a higher chance of arriving at my front door. Or in the case of a few lazy mailmen...On the front brick fence just waiting to be stolen :yabbmad:

Here are the choices:

$9.76 - Steel Folding Knife - Black (9CM-Blade) - Knives & Tools
2vnl9js.jpg

2r4nbbm.jpg

$9.28 - Carbon Steel Manual-Release Folding Knife with Clip (22cm Full-Length) - Knives & Tools
zofd05.jpg

34rww74.jpg

$8.49 - Carbon Steel Manual-Release Folding Knife with Clip (21.5cm Full-Length) - Knives & Tools
ojl554.jpg

9icnro.jpg

$7.42 - Classy Manual Release Folding Knife with Holster - Knives & Tools
2dv26q9.jpg

4heeqa.jpg

and finally: $5.90 - Steel Manual-Release Folding Pocket Knife with Clip (17cm Full-Length) - Knives & Tools
2ef3tw7.jpg

Feel free to buy yourself a knife aswell ;)

I appreciate all imput
:thanks: in advance :)

EDIT: Wow, those pics turned out bigger then expected...Sorry guys

Last edited:

I was/am a bit of a knife nut. I'm very familiar with this knife in particular, but most of these knives follow the same template:
2dv26q9.jpg

The knife is a blatant ripoff (and trademark infringement) to the Gerber Kiowa. The genuine article can be had for about $40 and IMO it is an excellent compromise for a budget tactical knife.

The difference between the real knife and the Chinese Ripoff (which all of these are):

1. Quality of the steel. Not sure what variety of 440 is being used for these cheaper knives, but it's nothing special. The Steel used by Gerber holds edge a lot longer.

2. Coating: Supposed to be friction reducing teflon coating. Let me assure you, it is not. The blade does look nice, but the coating is kind of crappy IMO. It feels like it would actually add resistance.

3. Biggest reason I don't like these knives: There is a lot of play in the blade. The blade itself tends to be quite a bit thinner than the area between the knife handles. What these guys do is put in a lubricated piece of rubber to eliminate the problem. End result is a rather wobbly knife. Might not feel like it right away, but after a while the lubricant dries out.

The overall build quality is also not comparable. These are cheap knockoffs.

Personally I like the Kiowa a lot. There is one in my car... along with a spyderco fully serrated police edition.

If you plan to use the knife on any regular basis, consider spyderco, crkt, benchmade, cold steel, boker. Gerber is a bit more budget imo, but they also make pretty decent quality knives.

Edit: Here's a side by side, top one is the real knife. I bought 4 of these off of ebay... they were being sold as the genuine item with a markup. Got the ebay seller to basically disappear:eg:
GerberKnockOff.jpg

The real knife, after two years or pocket carry, and quite a bit of use, is still working perfectly and I often take it as my edc. 2.99" means it's legal to carry just about everywhere:)

Looking over the pictures a bit closer... all the blades look to be of the same exact thickness. An analogy in terms of quality would be the 5mW ebay green pens vs nichia pens.

Last edited:
Whoa! actually i've been a little curious about knives at DX, and since there are many cool models and such i ended up with only the most "appealing" to me :tinfoil:, currently i wanna order these:

sku_32578_1.jpg

sku_34680_1.jpg

This one with titanium oxynitride coating :D
sku_70395_1.jpg

However since im not 100% sure of what could happen if i get caught by customs in my country, i ordered this one 1 week ago. Hope everything goes well :can:
sku_70545_1.jpg

Last edited:
@Weltall

Just an FYI for the first two, the blade may be completely flat on the other side, without the curvature you see on the visible side in this picture. Definitely see if there are any pictures of this knife from the other side...

The third one looks like a kershaw leek knock off (the original is also one of my favorites) and the fourth one... not sure what that is, post a review when you get it:D

@InfinitusEquitas

Thanks for the info!, there are pics showing the other side of the blade and they arent flat, also did read ur previous post which was helpful cuz i was wondering about their quality and if they were originals, copies or any other, u never know with the chinese.

Here are the links for them:

Mini Steel Manual-Release Folding Knife (21.7cm Full-Length)
Mini Steel Manual-Release Folding Sawtooth Knife with Clip (22.2cm Full-Length)
Cool Stainless Steel Folding Pocket Knife with Carabiner Clip & Carrying Pouch
Mini Stainless Steel Manual-Release Folding Knife - Blue (15.8cm Full-Length)

I ordered it along with a tripod/clamp combo to cover the $15 for the tracking number, so far only the tripod and clamp have been shipped and the knife itself remains "pending", i was hoping for everything get packed together so they may declare them as "tools" or so but now...*cross fingers* :undecided:

Importing knives isn't really illegal... Just so long as they aren't butterfly, gravity or automatic. Even those, I haven't had any issue with yet, although it's been a while:p

The knives do look ok, but in my experience, side by side, comparison the knockoff or budget versions are nothing to compare against the genuine articles. Than again... for the price you're not losing much:)

He's in Australia though, Infinitus. I've had knives delivered to me from DX too lol.

LOL! I was actually thinking about Weltall when I wrote that response, not the OP. I can't see mexican customs being any stricter than US customs:shhh:

Don't know a thing about australian knife laws though:eek:

jayrob

I tried a couple from them because of how cheap they were.

Surprisingly decent quality for knock offs...

Thanks again for the notes infinitus :beer:, before i ordered mine i did some minor search in google, other forums and even a DX thread regarding customs and delivery time... and as usual i got different opinions and answers.

Even inside mexican laws there are contradictions...in one hand they say i dont need a permission if given "X" situation and "Y" knife dimensions while in the other hand they say it is illegal, will get fined and blah blah no matter what. rofl
:horse:

LaZeRz

Thanks!

I've narrowed my choice down to numbers 2,3 and 4

I'l have a look at that one Lotus :D

Any other reccomendations guys?

Also, that knife is solid metal and weighs as much as my Kodak digital camera. I made a makeshift scale with my camera on one side and the knife on the other and it pretty much equalled out between the two.

Last edited: